It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I miss Above Politics

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Mostly because we could avoid the Political Arena if we just stuck to ATS. I'm tired of it all. The bickering. The slander and innuendo. The ridiculous headlines of the Obama, McCain, Palin and Biden haters and lovers. NONE of it is Above Top Secret material.
Is there any chance of AP coming back?

Any chance?
I long to read the weird and bizaare. And not have to sift through Biden did this or McCain said that.

Just saying. Who's with me?

Cuhail

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I'm with you, Cuhail. I lurked and then joined ATS to get away from politics and what have I done here? Post about politics. I want to escape all that while on this board. I'm trying to avoid reading the threads, but the headlines often draw me in against my better judgement.

Oh well, I guess once the election is over we can spend the next 4 years bashing whomever is unfortunate to actually win.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuhail

I couldn't agree more with you.
I wrote a post about this not long ago, but I don't think there were any replies.
Like you said, there is nothing "top secret" about it.
And to all of us who are not even Americans it's mind-numbingly dull. (Sorry, no offence intended.)

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdAstra
reply to post by Cuhail

And to all of us who are not even Americans it's mind-numbingly dull. (Sorry, no offence intended.)

Oh, no worries. I am an American and I think it's mind-numbingly dull.

I was a bit befuddled by the Forum elimination at the time it happened because I didn't think that the topics belonged in ATS. Yes, politics can be part of any given conspiracy, but, it's usually just rhetoric and mudslinging which ATS is not. (at the core at least)

Cuhail

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Im fairly new here but I agree the very reason I came here was to rise above the bs and so far I have,although I do admit some of those headlines do look tasty and I have been tempted.But I came here for the strange and unusual not the malarkey and hearsay.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I will second that.

Why was PTS ever absolved to begin with?

It is a perfect solution to a growing problem. It gives politico's their own forum to rant and snipe and beat the hell out of each other without hindering, annoying or offending people who have no interest in politics and come here seeking content based on actual conspiracy matters.

I happen to enjoy reading and posting in many different categories as many other do, including politics. But I can easily see what a hinderance the presence of political related threads has become on the main board.

Why NOT have PTS? Seems like an easy fix to a nagging issue.

It just makes sense.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I miss the seperate AP board as well . The slightly more hands off role that the staff played allowed some high quality discussions to take place that went unnoticed while all the focus was and is on the partisan bricking. Even the high quality discussions went unnoticed they were still of benefit to those who took part .

Cheers xpert11.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
You beat me to the punch Cuhail, I was planning to start a thread like this. I'm sick and tired of sifting through political headlines on ATS. It's become an obsession for some to post all the political grit they find here on ATS. And ofcourse, it always gets flagged/replied to the top.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Thanks all, for seeing the same thing I'm seeing.
Political crap in our precious ATS!

Please Admins, Supers and Mods. Discuss this backstage. Seriously. I'm thinking of beating feet until after the elections because I'm just not interested in politics and that's the meat of ATS now.

It might as well be a political forum now. Period. Just get rid of the few pesky "Real ATS" topics and it's done!

Cuhail

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I will make this short:
I could not agree more with the OP. I just can't stand these political threads. A few times I was stupid enough to stumble into some of these hateful pissing contests. I will not do that mistake again.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
While I don't have a magic wand to grant your wish...

I do have a possible solution to help ease your pain.

Check out this thread and see if this could help you see ATS the WAY you WANT to see it..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I've already customized MyATS, Jack. I was there for that thread when it was written. But...I use the "recent posts" button in ATS and BTS. And, it's literally flooded with AP material.

AP NEEDS to come back.

Painkillers are a mask. We need a cure.

Cuhail

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuhail

hit customize, (in RED at the top of the recent posts)

choose myATS

hit Customize Today's Posts

then your recent posts page will show ONLY your subscribed forums..

If you don't subscribe to any of the political forums, they will not appear on YOUR recent posts page. If you do have some political forums subscribed just unsubscribe until you feel ready to view them again.

Give it a try and let me know I am here to help

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I concur...

Unfortunately in the past, AP was endorsed by the masses and embraced by precious few... I would enjoy a board that was well away from the good folk of ATS/BTS where rhetoric and partisan bickering could be engaged in without disrupting the more civil and genteel forums...

I am ready for the Exodus...

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Jack, thank you.

But it's not a problem of just me seeing all this political crap. It's not ATS material.

I don't use the Ignore function at all. Not with posters, not with threads.
My own MyATS is set up to show the threads I really like. BUT, I don't want to limit myself to those specific threads. I feel the technique you suggest is a band-aid, not a cure. I can go through and eliminate all the AP forums from displaying in recent topics. I get that. This process is not going to help ATS be just ATS.
Do you remember, Jack, my friend, why AP was incorporated into ATS?
Because of low readership. It was stagnant. But, it occurs to me that it would have picked up as soon as the Presidential Elections started swinging. And so it has...to glob up ATS in the long run.

I stand by my proclaimation

I miss Above Politics.

Cuhail

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuhail

I understand Cuhail, not trying to derail or deter your intent of the thread, I was merely trying to ease your pain in seeing what was once on AP.

While not the solution you seek, it would help to ease your pain while they are still here.

As I said initially, I do not have the magic wand....

Carry on

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

It's all cool Jack. Your posts influence my high opinion of you not at all. I appreciate the tips, as will someone else who may read this thread.

C

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Ditto to the OP. The topics that brought us all to ATS in the first place are getting lost in the frenzy of this political season.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuhail

I'm with you. Even though i haven't been hear long i've seen things change so drastically around here lately. I'm rarely on anymore, and when i am it's not for long because i can't seem to find anything but the political nonsense threads.

I'm all for a good political thread, with intelligent discussion, however what's been on here lately is far from that. With what's on here lately i might as well just sit in front of the boob tube.

My son introduced me to ATS. He said it was filled with intelligent people and the site had strict guidelines, that you had to be civil and respectful to one another. I lurked for awhile as i was intimidated at first, but then i was on all the time, and i started recomending the site to people as i really enjoyed it.

But lately i've grown weary of it because of all the bickering, name calling, baiting, and trolling. It seems as though civility, decorum, and integrity have been lost somewhere along the way lately. I think i'm going to have to take a break until after the elections are over and things get back to normal around here again.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join