It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goodbye all, LHC going live tomorrow

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hardee
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Coincidence? I think not.

I don't even want to think about what will happen when the atom smashing takes place in October. Something is happening NOW.

OK, Op, now you have just convinced me that you are out to prove that you are right and the rest of us are wrong

Just admit defeat.....you were wrong...suck it up

And it Stephen Hawking, the smartest guy on earth says a black hole wont be produced from this, I think I would take his word over anyone else on the planet

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Criticizing other members is not allowed in the Skunkworks Forum. Please refrain from any further posts of this type.

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
We certainly do not want to discourage the involvement of helpful critical analysis and skeptical thought, this will always be a very important part of collaboration on ATS. However, we will be strict in managing the tone and style of such exchanges. Please keep your critical involvement to helpful focus on issues, facts, and analysis of possibilities, and do not engage in disruptive character attacks, snipes, and insults in any way. Any such activity will result in a warning and removal of your post.

Back To Basics: The ATS Skunk Works Forum!

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
And it Stephen Hawking, the smartest guy on earth says a black hole wont be produced from this, I think I would take his word over anyone else on the planet

That's why he was wrong for thirty years or so and had to change his theory's after arguing with other physicists Hawking may be the most famous physicist on Earth but his contributions are in the main not much.

You might want to see if you can catch the Hawking Paradox documentary Horizon did on him. I have very little faith in his Radiation Idea I'd prefer him to be right obviously but I just don't think so.

Lets Hope he's right anyway and lets hope the collisions go without a hitch.

[edit on 11-9-2008 by Teknikal]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Originally posted by Hardee
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Coincidence? I think not.

I don't even want to think about what will happen when the atom smashing takes place in October. Something is happening NOW.

OK, Op, now you have just convinced me that you are out to prove that you are right and the rest of us are wrong

Just admit defeat.....you were wrong...suck it up

I am the "opening post"? And you did not learn a thing and cannot appear to read. You're not too bright.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
What is this LHC all about? I'm more worried about where we are going not where we came from! Surely all that money could have been put to better uses.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by stephenwephentephen
i bet the original poster of this thread feels soooooooooooooooooooo stupid haha

Elaborate?

Do you actually understand English by any chance stephen?

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Once more for anyone who is mystified by the LHC:

LHC Breakdown

Official LHC FAQ (PDF)

The world will not end, or they wouldn't be turning it on. Don't you all feel a bit pretentious, believing you know more about physics than the collective minds at CERN? I don't go to the construction workers building my house and correct the manner in which they are building my walls...

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
To be honest with everyone.. im young.. and scared out of my mind.... i just wish people could just live there damn life how it was given instead of having to figure everything out. things are fine the way they are now.. leave it that way =*((

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I'm new to this discussion so forgive me of my ignorance. IMO, I find it hard to believe that this will lead to world destruction. I find it more plausible that these experiments will lead to far greater knowledge about the universe and will further mankind.

Heck, this is exciting stuff.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by tmbandt

You could always check out the live webcam for the LHC:

www.cyriak.co.uk...

Put your fears to rest....

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by tmbandt

Yeah, I'm pretty excited to see what the end result of this will be. I've read of course that there's a chance that something catastrophic could happen, but it has to be so small for the scientists to actually go through with this that none of us should even worry about it.

And if something does happen...I always say "at least I won't have to pay off my college loans."

[edit on 12-9-2008 by nina.]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

If we did it that way, you wouldn't have a computer or a PS3.
Every time something new comes along, it's going to destroy the world.
The TV, airplanes, cars... Ok, cars were close.
But my point is, every time something new comes along its: A waste of Money, affront against God, shoulda been better left alone, ect.
It's amazing sometimes we were

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by gavron
reply to post by tmbandt

www.cyriak.co.uk...

Webcam offline. LOL.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by gavron
reply to post by tmbandt

www.cyriak.co.uk...

OMG LOL, you got me for a second there, I was like WTF!?

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
To be honest with everyone.. im young.. and scared out of my mind.... i just wish people could just live there damn life how it was given instead of having to figure everything out. things are fine the way they are now.. leave it that way =*((

Things are not fine the way they are now thou lol

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by happinness
What is this LHC all about? I'm more worried about where we are going not where we came from! Surely all that money could have been put to better uses.

I posted a links that explain the LHC if you'd care to check them out, but in essence the LHC is a machine that breaks apart the basic particles of matter and simulates the energy state of the universe immediately after the Big Bang. If they see what they have predicted what they will see, then it will lend much support to the current models of the basic workings of the universe. If not, then it will move forward our understanding thereof.

It may seem like looking at the beginning of the universe has little to do with our current problems, and will provide few practical applications; however, basic research rarely presents its future applications in an obvious way. James Clerk Maxwell set out the equations that would later lead to the invention of the television and radio in the mid-19th century. There was no way anyone, even Maxwell, could have known that his equations would have led to the invention of the internet (and many, many other things). That is why companies rarely fund basic research, and why governments must.

If everyone would sit back and let science take its course (or better, go to school and become an active participant in the process) then you would see that the dividends far outweigh the costs. The technology that could one day arise from discoveries made by the LHC are most likely unimaginable to us.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
*Bashes his head repeatedly into the moniter*

Don't you just love how these armchair particle physicists, with no knowledge of how this stuff works, are all apparently smarter than the worlds leading particle physicists, who have been researching this stuff for years and understand it a hell of a lot better than you guys?

Nah, I'm gonna go with the crowd and ignore the guy who went to university for 10 years and listen to the fear mongering thread authored by the guy with literally no education on this subject.

*Throws his moniter at the fear mongerers*

How do you guys live normal lives if you think the world is going to end every week? Everytime I come online theres several new threads outlining the latest doomsday. I'm so friggin sick of it.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ben420

Someone hasn't taken their prozac today. but yes i completely agree with you. why do people insist on trying to guess when the world is gonna end. i would be much happier not knowing because lets say we all knew that a comet will hit earth in exactly 30 days. would those last 30 days really be the happiest time of your life? Really they would be emo kid?

look the world will end its not a question of if, but instead of guessing when it will end go and have fun everyday like tomorrow is the end. live for the now and live for the will. don't live for the tomorrow and the ifs it brings.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

You're absolutely right. And you say exactly what I'm asking myself since I know this thing. Why don't somebody stop the CERN ?
What can we do for our self-defence ? We have children, they have a right to live. It is not a joke. I don't want to laugh with the life of our children.

I think that if there had been more media coverage, people would have protest. But, in my case, I'm only aware of it since two weeks. And almost nothing in the papers. I think at all the manifestations in the world.
People, do something ! Power to the people !

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join