It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does God Really Answer Prayers, Or Is It Just Wishful Thinking???

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mintwithahole.
There's far to many tragedys, deaths etc, on this planet for there to be a real God. If there was a supreme being do you really think he would have sat idly by and let all those people die in the trade centre towers? Would he refuse to intervene in the madness that is taking place in Iraq and Afghanistan? Would he really turn a deaf ear to all those people sitting at the bedsides of their dieing relatives, sons, daughters, mothers, fathers etc,who pray for help?
Go to the nearest cancer hos[ital, to the childrens ward, look at the horror and the despair and then start asking yourself whether there's a god.

And please don't reply by saying that god works in mysterious ways because I dont buy that explanation. With all the disease, death, disasters, starvation and madness that is staking place here on earth at the moment, if there is a god then he should be put on trial for neglect. . !

If there is a God, do you honestly expect to understand or figure out why God does or doesn't do something?

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by mhc_70

"
If there is a God, do you honestly expect to understand or figure out why God does or doesn't do something?
"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps not but I want his actions to make some sort of sense! If I can't understand him, if I cannot figure him out why on earth should I consider attending church and obeying him? How can a god claim to be in control of everything, all seeing, all doing, and then turn his back on his flock and allow attrocities, disasters and general sickness to decimate his people? I'm a very spiritual person but I doubt that god exists.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by AlexG141989

What a great song by Faithless called "God is a DJ"
Some DJs take requests, some don't.
Gods use the same principle.

It's bummer I know.

The upshot: You can always do things for yourself.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by AlexG141989

I would watch the video, but I'm on dial up, and thus would take me about an hour just to load the first 4 minutes...

Dude this could be an excellent oportunity to carry out an online experiment !

Why dont we follow the rules of the jesusgod and pray for you to have a faster internet connection ?

The jesusgod would be happy coz he's gotten though to you.

The god squad would be happy coz you've proved them right.

You and I would be happy because you get to see a video showing how praying to god doesn't work.

Anyone else on ATS up for helping out Alex G ?

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Does God really exist, or is he just an imaginary friend for immature, insecure adults?

That would have been a better question...

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   

OK

Christian prayer will be answered as long as it is not a selfish and materialistic request as this will go against the teaching of God throughout the Bible.

1) can i have a great job and earn lots of money lord ( not going to happen)

2) could i have a job where i can have more of an impact for you Lord (will happen)

This is why prayer requests fail. We all send them from at sometime or another. however if they are not for the right reasons they will fail

Matt 6:7*8

But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

Here this is not saying ask and it is given it is stating that we are not to worry for the things we have need for will be provided for anyway.

we should ask for a strengthened faith so that we can trust God fully.

if your going to quote Mathew do it properly

5And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites [are]: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. (dont go to church its unchristian and hypocritical and stop telling everyone your christian and waving your religeon around in public its just as bad)

6But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly. (you should do this instead of going to church like a hypocrite)

7But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen [do]: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.(dont keep praying for the same stuff day after day like a heathen begging away)

8Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.(god knows what you want/need so dont ask like a heathen)

9After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. (this is the only prayer you need and the only one you should use the lords prayer jesus says so)

so the simple answer does god answer christian prays for stuff, if they are praying for stuff they arnt bieng christians in the first place

^_^ and any other answer just goes against a direct quote of jesus ....... so if god answered your prays it must have been the devil and your gonna burn in hell so dont go to church and pray for forgivness or your just making it worse

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Does God really exist, or is he just an imaginary friend for immature, insecure adults?

That would have been a better question...

Not really, because every topic in this section always turns into that, even if the orginal topic was something totally different...

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   

June 19 2005

Characteristics of adults who use prayer as an alternative therapy.

[PURPOSE: To describe the demographics, health-related and preventive-health behaviors, health status, and health care charges of adults who do and do not pray for health. DESIGN: Cross-sectional survey with 1-year follow-up. SETTING: A Minnesota health plan. SUBJECTS: A stratified random sample of 5107 members age 40 and over with analysis based on 4404 survey respondents (86%). MEASURES: Survey data included health risks, health practices, use of preventive health services, satisfaction with care, and use of alternative therapies. Health care charges were obtained from administrative data.

RESULTS: Overall, 47.2% of study subjects reported that they pray for health, and 90.3% of these believed prayer improved their health. After adjustment for demographics, those who pray had significantly less smoking and alcohol use and more preventive care visits, influenza immunizations, vegetable intake, satisfaction with care, and social support and were more likely to have a regular primary care provider. Rates of functional impairment, depressive symptoms, chronic diseases, and total health care charges were not related to prayer CONCLUSIONS: Those who pray had more favorable health-related behaviors, preventive service use, and satisfaction with care. Discussion of prayer could help guide customization of clinical care. Research that examines the effect of prayer on health status should adjust for variables related both to use of prayer and to health status.

source

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by mhc_70

All that study suggests to me is those people that prayed in a clinical setting had an increased interest in preventative care. It kinda goes without saying though, as that is why those people were praying to begin with. That study doesn't support much along the lines of validating divinity.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Hi There,

Should you remove yourself to some place of solitude, wherein no noise at all can be heard, there you will hear God's answer to all prayers...total and absolute silence. Now there's a revelation for you.

best wishes listening

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I care what religous people believe on their own time. that adds up to one messed up collective which has a big part to do with the mess on our hands.
They will be crushed soon by the force of those waking up ro higher awareness.

God doesnt answer prayers cuz their is no separation or God of that sort.

The universe responds to commands. Thats how creativity work......so work on your intent and be a part of it. As long as u see yourself as weak and separate, then nothing will ever be manifested unless it was meant to be anyways.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrAndy
But if your child was in so much pain and suffering or dying, and you had the power and ability to stop it, what good parent would sit by and not help them?

What if the truly benevolent thing to do was to not stop it?

Omniscience.

What if God allowed it to happen because there was something else, something beyond, waiting for them. What if that thing was far greater then the suffering?

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Venit
Excuse me, but just because i'm secular, why does that make me a moron? I think you could have made that post without insulting those whose beliefs differ from your own.

This member doesn't care much for people with different beliefs. This member is a fire and brimestone kind of 'Christian'.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by mhc_70

All that study suggests to me is those people that prayed in a clinical setting had an increased interest in preventative care. It kinda goes without saying though, as that is why those people were praying to begin with. That study doesn't support much along the lines of validating divinity.

The study said there was a one year follow up, which clinical setting are you referring to?

Is just a coinicidence that the ones who pray where more interested in preventative care?

It doesn't really go without saying, because often Christians are chastised for relying on prayer and God too much and not getting preventative healthcare.

I am not trying to validate Divinity, I am showing examples of answered prayer.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by mhc_70
I am not trying to validate Divinity, I am showing examples of answered prayer.

Yeah I know, thanks for the contribution. But this thread is about prayers being answered by God (Divinity). That's why I addressed it that way.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Does God answer prayer? In my experience as part of a prayer ministry team . Yes. Without doubt.

Does He answer all prayers? NO, (in my experience)

What does surprise me about this thread is that the people with the most to say are not even christians, this means that they don't pray in the first place. Just opinions I suppose.

I will try to answer a couple of questions for you, but only a couple so as not to hijack the thread,

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Well, OK, you could say that. But why would God still allow them to suffer and not end their pain immediately?

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I don't know how other god's work, but the GOD of the Holy Bible provides his true followers, with what is called "living water." It proves he is real, but you can only get it through his son - Jesus.

At the beginning of creation God's Spirit moved upon the waters - ninety percent of our blood is water and Jesus is the one who makes it possible that people who have faith receive this gift. Jesus clearly states he will manifest himself and he does this by baptizing people with the Holy Spirit. There is a process to it but it's the real deal and that is why Jesus is King.

A lot of people tend to forget or just don't realize that Jesus said he was from above - not below like us. He also said - he doesn't give earthly gifts. He also said, that God knows we need things like food, clothes etc - but that we are to first seek the kingdom of God and then those things will be added. This kingdom he said was "near" - not as in years away - but as in right here, right now.... that door is still open to this day.

After a person has found the kingdom, they see with new eyes and they hear with new ears and then they are taught by God himself. It sort of puts the physical things of this world, on the back burner where they belong and puts the focus on bigger and better things.

So now you have a general idea of how the Christ presence works. Hopefully others who worship different gods will come along and we can get to the bottom of this.

I bet they won't be lining up anytime soon.

I guess I should add, that my prayers are not usually for physical needs. I have asked for things and sometimes the answer is 'No." If it's not his will it is not going to happen. Only he knows what is best.

[edit on 8-9-2008 by Myrtales Instinct]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrAndy

Well, OK, you could say that. But why would God still allow them to suffer and not end their pain immediately?

I was just trying to bridge the omnibenevolence issue in the same logical tempo you had set. But yeah, that is the next logical question.

In the instance of pain and suffering, I don't think there is a divine intervention because I think these experiences are a necessary part of the process.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by jon1

What does surprise me about this thread is that the people with the most to say are not even christians, this means that they don't pray in the first place.

Here is a surprise for you...

Christians are not the only ones that pray

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join