It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does God Really Answer Prayers, Or Is It Just Wishful Thinking???

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

Originally posted by jon1

What does surprise me about this thread is that the people with the most to say are not even christians, this means that they don't pray in the first place.

Here is a surprise for you...

Christians are not the only ones that pray

But as a christian i believe only my God answers prayers so other faiths won't be around much in this thread.
Could be wrong though.

Now that i have answered that smart remark i wonder why people are not queing up for answers?

It's been a few hours now and still none to be seen.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by jon1

And you are wrong, that was my point.

People of other faiths do pray.

I am sure there are people that have already posted in this thread that pray, or have prayed, and do not call themselves Christians.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   
PRAYING for patients undergoing heart surgery does not help to save them, according to a study of heart patients.

Mitchell Krucoff of the Duke Clinical Research Institute in Durham, North Carolina, and colleagues divided into four groups 700 people scheduled to have procedures such as the insertion of a catheter into their heart. Established Jewish, Christian, Muslim or Buddhist congregations prayed for the patients in the first group. The second listened to soothing music, imagined "peaceful, beautiful" places and received a series of 45-second-long "healing touches" from medical staff. The third group got prayer as well as music, imagery and touch therapy, and the fourth nothing.

The researchers found that prayer made no difference at all: the patients were no more or less likely to die, develop major heart problems or be re-admitted into hospital within six months of their surgery (The Lancet, vol 366, p 178). However, the two groups of patients who received music, imagery and touch therapy were slightly less likely to die after six months.

Despite the negative result, Krucoff is keen to do more studies. "We know nothing about what we are doing here," he says. "We don't have a prayer-proof room."

Source

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 04:32 AM
link   

reply to post by jon1

And you are wrong, that was my point.

People of other faiths do pray.

I am sure there are people that have already posted in this thread that pray, or have prayed, and do not call themselves Christians.

YES, but as a christian i am only refering to the christian God.
Do other Gods answer prayer. I can't answer that.
I doubt it because only Jesus is alive, the others are all dead or statues or something.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by jon1

And you qualify as a true Christian. I explained that at the start of this thread.

Do you believe your Christian God listens to the prayers of buddhists, hindis, pagans, mormons, etc?

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 04:52 AM
link   

reply to post by jon1

And you qualify as a true Christian. I explained that at the start of this thread.

Do you believe your Christian God listens to the prayers of buddhists, hindis, pagans, mormons, etc?

I know that Jesus listens to and answers some of my prayers.
As for the others. I can't answer for them.

Does Jesus listen to other faiths prayers?
I don't think so because they don't even believe in Jesus so they won't pray to him in the first place.

By the way, I only believe in one God.

I will get back to you on the TRUE christian bit later as i have forgotten what your interpritation was.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Here we go..

If you're a true Christian then you know that you are right and everyone else is wrong. Thats what that means. If an Ancient, or a Muslim, or a Pagan, got his or her prayers answered it's because they were answered by the Christian God *Jeff* or, even worse, and probably more likely, they were decieved by the Christian Satan.

A TRUE christian (brings a smile to my face). Is someone that has asked Jesus into their lives and has asked for forgivness for all the wrongs that they have done.
you could take it a step further and say that it is someone who is at work in Gods kingdom and using the gifts of the spirit as intended and not sat at home saying that they are christians but not doing anything for God in any way shape or form. We are all told to preach the good news and that does not mean standing on the street corner scaring everybody off.
You can spread the good news daily just by your own actions.

If a Muslim or any other faith says that their prayers were answered, i would say good for them. I will have to wait until i get to heaven to fathom that one out.

That, of course, is only my thought on the subject.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

Yes i believe God answers prayers personally. You have to ask for God to dwell within you and give you guidance. He will guide you to the answers whether you know it or not. This could be a simple picture, a website, a chance meeting etc.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Is someone that has asked Jesus into their lives and has asked for forgivness for all the wrongs that they have done.

Mormons and Catholics say the same... and many denominations of Christianity.

So you're saying your Christian God answers the prayers of all these people right?

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Here we go..

If you're a true Christian then you know that you are right and everyone else is wrong. Thats what that means.

A TRUE christian (brings a smile to my face). Is someone that has asked Jesus into their lives and has asked for forgivness for all the wrongs that they have done.

***you could take it a step further and say that it is someone who is at work in Gods kingdom and using the gifts of the spirit as intended and not sat at home saying that they are christians but not doing anything for God in any way shape or form. We are all told to preach the good news and that does not mean standing on the street corner scaring everybody off.
You can spread the good news daily just by your own actions.***

is it just me or is that Jihad by another name

none hardline muslims describe jihad as any action bringing glory to gods name, in your actions words and teachings

it still has the holy war conatations but say it should be only in defence

so where in the bible does Jesus say this? as a christian jesus's teachings in the new testament over rule the old testament as he brings the new word of god

but impossing 1 condition on bible quotes, 2 versus either side must also be in context not like the earlier quote of matthew that took 1 verse and was given meaning while the verses either side made it clear that praying for things is wrong and gave it an VERY different meaning

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Does God answer prayer? In my experience as part of a prayer ministry team . Yes. Without doubt.

Does He answer all prayers? NO, (in my experience)

What does surprise me about this thread is that the people with the most to say are not even christians, this means that they don't pray in the first place. Just opinions I suppose.

I will try to answer a couple of questions for you, but only a couple so as not to hijack the thread,

Can I ask exactly what kind of prayers were, and weren't answered???

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Is someone that has asked Jesus into their lives and has asked for forgivness for all the wrongs that they have done.

Mormons and Catholics say the same... and many denominations of Christianity.

So you're saying your Christian God answers the prayers of all these people right?

If these people have asked Jesus into thier lives and have asked for forgivness, then yes.
Don't think you can add mormons to the list though because they think Jesus was only a prophet.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlexG141989

Does God answer prayer? In my experience as part of a prayer ministry team . Yes. Without doubt.

Does He answer all prayers? NO, (in my experience)

What does surprise me about this thread is that the people with the most to say are not even christians, this means that they don't pray in the first place. Just opinions I suppose.

I will try to answer a couple of questions for you, but only a couple so as not to hijack the thread,

Can I ask exactly what kind of prayers were, and weren't answered???

Any prayer.
You can pray one thing for one person and it can be answered, but pray the same prayer for someone else and it may not be answered.

I also believe that God hears all prayers but his main concern is what is in peoples hearts.
It seems that he would rather sort a person out from the inside before he heals the outside.

These conclusions come from many years of prayer ministry and what i have personally experienced in that time.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   

I also believe that God hears all prayers but his main concern is what is in peoples hearts.
It seems that he would rather sort a person out from the inside before he heals the outside.

These conclusions come from many years of prayer ministry and what i have personally experienced in that time.

ok devils advocate time

so if someone were seriouslygood and religeous and well healed on the inside im talking pope, mother teresssa someone in such high regard to your personal choice of chrsitianity they are practically living saints

because they are already internally sorted god would then heal them if they lost a limb? after taking the time to internally heal them to such a high level he would then externally heal them?

now your answers either

to say yes which be both know is silly and never would happen and opens a whole pandoras box,

you can alter your answer and give it a tighter definaition that means something else becasue healing inside then out has problems

or you have to conclude that no matter how good this person was (a hyperthetical person is fine for this exercise) how ever internally well healed god never would heal them if they needed a new arm/leg

if theres another answer that isnt a blanket god does what he feels like moves in mysteious ways answer then im happy to hear it

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by noobfun

ok devils advocate time

so if someone were seriouslygood and religeous and well healed on the inside im talking pope, mother teresssa someone in such high regard to your personal choice of chrsitianity they are practically living saints

because they are already internally sorted god would then heal them if they lost a limb? after taking the time to internally heal them to such a high level he would then externally heal them?

now your answers either

to say yes which be both know is silly and never would happen and opens a whole pandoras box,

you can alter your answer and give it a tighter definaition that means something else becasue healing inside then out has problems

or you have to conclude that no matter how good this person was (a hyperthetical person is fine for this exercise) how ever internally well healed god never would heal them if they needed a new arm/leg

if theres another answer that isnt a blanket god does what he feels like moves in mysteious ways answer then im happy to hear it

You know something, i'm not even going to bother answering your questions because you seem like the sort of person that no matter what i say you will not be satisfied.
Plus you won't even comprehend what i am saying.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Hi I am a follow of christ that reads the bible. And I dont see where the problem with what noob is saying. I have had my own answered prayers and non answered prayers. I promise you many of my prayers of answer. for the good and the bad. one of the big lessons I learned about prayer in 2006 was watch what you ask for you might get it. And for share its not going to happen on your time.

As what noob was saying about the inside and the outside. God works his will over yours. He does what is best for you. God is like a father who punishes and pleases. God has to shape you into a holy being, and giving you everthing you want wont do that.

But remember ask and it shall be given seek and you shall find. What ever you ask in prayer shall come to pass. But it depends on your reason for asking. You think God's going to asnwer your prayer if it was of evil intendon. No.

Again God shapes his children into what we really need on earth Soldiers of Christ. Soldiers of Great faith. The more faith the more answered prayers. Go with God and hope this will help

[edit on 11-9-2008 by slymattb]

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I am not debating the exsistance of God, I only answer your question based on the assumption that God exsists in the form one would think God would.

If you pray to an omniscient being you must assume that your wishes, desires, or hopes are superseded by those of an all-knowing being.

Because of your upbringing all of your prayers are based on biased feelings. Good and evil is subjective to each party involved with the situation.

However, an enlightened and omniscient being would be able to see through bias thoughts and make desicions that are part of the universes plan and ultimately the continuation of time itself.

Which is truly what God is in the first place.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I believe we have the power to do things we can't even begin to imagine.

Along that thought line, is it possible that by praying and wanting something so badly we actually manifest things ourselves?

We attribute it to a higher being when in reality, if there is a creator, I believe he or she already provided us with the tools to answer our own prayers.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
The whole point in answered prayers is that God answers the prayers, not us.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

As an "earthly" parent, I always believed that my children deserved a responsible, intelligent answer to their questions. If I said "no", I explained why. If I didn't bother to acknowledge their question at all, or so it seemed to them, they became increasingly agitated at me. I didn't think that was fair to their mental and emotional health. Their questions, no matter how trivial they seemed to me, were always important enough to give them a concrete, tangible answer, and they got one. I didn't want my children to think I didn't care enough about them to remain silent and let them guess or speculate on what my answer would be.
edit on 30-8-2011 by aero56 because: info

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join