It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heart Lash Out at McCain Campaign's Use of "Barracuda"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I'd think Heart would be grateful that anyone still remembered their music, much less listened to it.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Which one of the sisters complained? I bet it was the fat chick.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
egads, i'm really disappointed in their decision. i was a huge fan of heart's music since i was a teenager. i know most of their songs...by heart. the whole planet has went crazy

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
By your explanation there are private party DJ's breaking the law everyday. If I buy a CD and choose to entertain with it, what is the limit of my entertainment?

Yes, DJs break copyright laws all the time. In fact, most of the remixes you hear are copyright violations, however they end up benefiting the artists and labels, so nobody comes down on them for it. I'm by no means a know-it-all with anything, but I have earned my stripes in the music industry enough to know how the laws can work. They are shaky at best, and typically it comes down to - if the copyright owner says you can't use the music, and you don't have a contract saying otherwise - you can't use it.

Now if you pay a blanket license for BMI/ASCAP/SESAC(overseas) then it truly does null the entire argument. It doesn't excuse all of the ad hominem attacks that have been directed at these musicians. Is it so wrong, that you don't want to have your life's work represent something you are opposed to? As a musician myself (and a member of ASCAP), I would most certainly want to do anything I could to prevent a neocon from using my music in the conventions, and I believe ultimately in the death, er I mean fema detainment camps (for our safety).

Unfortunately, thats one of the many downsides of being a member of one of the aforementioned groups (ASCAP, etc.)

[edit on 5-9-2008 by scientist]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Lol they are just mad that thier music is now just about tame and lame enough to be used at a Republican Convention

And seriously, they should be happy at any attentio they get... I mean did you guys go to that links? Holy Moly, they look like $h17

Palin should use them as the poster girls for her "just say No" campaign

I mean... wow, I was, a Giant rocker and a big partyer at times in my life... seeing them makes me glad I waxed conservative before I FUBARED myself like those 2...

They are so upset at how Palin used the song, but, Look at results, I mean i'm sorry Day by day, personal choices...

Palin is, in a heck of alot better shape than these ladies, I mean, it makes a guy think, party girls are fun, but your going to have to spend alot of years with a woman and... well, conservative lifestyle choices obviously make alot of sense in the long run

g-d I need to brush my teeth...I almost vomited in my mouth to look at those 2

Next time some one posts something that disgusting it better be a sasquatch or dead alien...

damn

[edit on 5-9-2008 by mopusvindictus]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Wonder how many people downloaded this song or maybe even bought a Heart CD after hearing it at the RNC. And I wonder if Heart will refuse any $$ this song might earn them if it has a somewhat of a resurgence as a result?
Will they be complaining then? I doubt it.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Is it so wrong, that you don't want to have your life's work represent something you are opposed to?

well, the problem from where i'm sitting has become one of extremes. if there will always be a two-party system in the US, and you start riggidly aligning yourself, publically (whatever happened to silent voting), to one side or the other, you automatically tell one half of your audience that you disagree with their values to the point that they can't even listen to your music in a public setting. they must realize there are repubs that aren't christians or bigots or white or men or whatever stereotype that has been advanced in popular media?

sigh, it's gotten to the point now where people will only drink milk from a partisan cow of the party in question. that's bad for the nation.

it's just wrong. i'm sorry, but it is.

[edit on 5-9-2008 by undo]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
here's a video by a rock n' roller (christian style) who complains about christians doing this same thing:

he makes an excellent point.

here's the lyrics

GUILTY BY ASSOCIATION by Steve Taylor

So you need a new car?
Let your fingers take a walk
Through the business guide
For the "born again" flock

You'll be keeping all your money
In the kingdom now
And you'll only drink milk
From a Christian cow

Don't you go casting your bread
To keep the heathen well-fed
Line Christian pockets instead
Avoid temptation

Guilty by association

Turn the radio on
To a down-home drawl
Hear a brylcream prophet
With a message for y'all

"Well I have found a new utensil
In the devil's toolbox
And the heads are gonna roll
If Jesus rocks"

"It's a worldly design!
God's music should be divine!
Try buying records like mine
Avoid temptation"

Guilty by association

So you say it's of the devil
And we've got no choice
'Cause you heard a revelation
From the "still small voice?"

If the Bible doesn't back it
Then it seems quite clear
Perhaps it was the devil
Who whispered in your ear

It's a Telethon Tuesday
For "The Gospel Club"
"Send your money in now
Or they're gonna pull the plug!"

Just remember this fact
When they plead and beg
When the chicken squawks loudest
Gonna lay a big egg

You could be smelling a crook
You should be checking The Book
But you'd rather listen thank look
The implication

Guilty by association

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
reply to post by LLoyd45

Which one of the sisters complained? I bet it was the fat chick.

I don't know which one complained, but the years haven't been kind to either one of them.. They look like they were rode hard and put away wet!

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

eek, why would you say such a thing? that's just totally off topic and
well, it's terribly mean to boot. so we ladies don't always age as gracefully as men. i think they look just fine for their ages.

sometimes people are just silly. let's discuss why it's wrong to
tell half your listening audience that they can't hear your songs in a public setting.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Okay I did it too and worse... I did actually have a point to the insult lol and it's defending their beliefs and being outraged at Palin being who she is...and they are a bit older but lol... there is a lifestyle statement to be made

So I'll apologize for my "heart"less comments

(That play on words was so bad I winced too btw)

On a serious note, it's ridiculous... they should really be happy anyone knew who they were

The whole Palin doesn't represent women thing, I mean come on... what do they represent behaving like glam rock chicks into your 50's

The concept of Heart, bagging on a woman like Palin, thinking they represent America more than she does...

If that is true,
like the P Diddy thread.. and these people represent America more than her... well,

we are doomed

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Well as it's Hearts song, they are free to decide where to dole out their permission. Sony/BMG actually sent the cease and desist, and it was perfectly their right to do so.

Is it unfair? Is it something that the Dems do as well?

Probably, but that still doesn't change the fact that it's Heart's song.

By the by, how hard would it have been to ask permission to use the song?

P.s. Ask a kid who owns Guitar Hero who Heart is. They are probably selling more albums now than they have in 15 years.

[edit on 5-9-2008 by round_eyed_dog]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
you're never too old to rock 'n' roll

hey i just saw a video of a man in his 60's singing, "I just don't look good naked anymore." it was great!

anyway, i think the real issue is why hollywood and the secular music industry is suddenly against half their viewing and listening audience. it's bizarre and creepy.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
what'd they gonna do next, send repubs to the gas chamber? gettin' a bit weird folks.

somebody better stop this trend and fast.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Who are they trying to impress with this press release? It has made them look like petty liberal has-beens. If they had a problem they should have told the McCain campaign privately.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Seeker Mom

apparently they told them no twice, but mccain's folks did it anyway.
who knows, what with all the partisan crap going on. it's reallllly gotten bad.
you don't know the half of it. my hubby has told me some real eyebrow
raisers too. some of this stuff is just off the richter scale for american
culture.

we are what we are. people who live here accept it for what it is, unless it's
abusive. but there have been alot of compromises over the years and many times both sides have joined efforts to make bipartisan decisions. now, however, it's getting real ugly out there.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo
reply to post by LLoyd45

eek, why would you say such a thing? that's just totally off topic and
well, it's terribly mean to boot. so we ladies don't always age as gracefully as men. i think they look just fine for their ages.
I suppose that would depend on just how old they actually are. LOL

sometimes people are just silly. let's discuss why it's wrong to
tell half your listening audience that they can't hear your songs in a public setting.
they're obviously disenfranchised democrats that want to complain about something, anything. I'm a democrat myself, but this year I'm voting Republican out of desperation.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I just love the fact that all of these artists have been lashing out at politicians for using their songs to represent opposite ideologies. Maybe eventually they will wise up, and contact the artists first, to avoid these PR disasters.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

i don't see it as a pr disaster. it's more of a wake up call. imagine how that looks to heart fans who aren't democrats? i can see why they may disagree with their political platform and they can voice that opinion rationally, at the voting box or by campaigning for their choice. but to come out the way they did... nothing like insulting half the nation.

maybe they should institute a law where people who don't have the same political platform, can't buy your products.

i advise everyone to think that over carefully.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I also don't think people are thinking about how powerful music is.

Music to the human race is arguably the most defining characteristic of our species.

What did we place in the Voyager capsule? Louis Armstrong and Beethoven to name but a few.

We have a visceral reaction to music that rivals the most intense emotions the human body can produce.

Music can and has, changed the world I daresay more than any politician.

That's not to say Heart specifically belongs in any of those examples.

Tell someone you dislike McCain, or Obama and you may get quite the tongue lashing. Tell someone you don't like the Beatles and you may be killed.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join