It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heart Lash Out at McCain Campaign's Use of "Barracuda"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I find it funny that they are so desperate to get their last 15 minutes of fame.

Nothing but a publicity stunt to garnish more attention in hope of more sales which result in more royalties.

Funny that I don't see Brooks and Dunn complaining. Oh that's right, they are still making hits.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   

This set off Nancy Wilson, who told EW.com “I think it’s completely unfair to be so misrepresented. I feel completely f****d over.”

Wow, she sounds like such a classy lady. Oh, and yeah, I placed that quote there, so don't penalize me for one liners.

[edit on 9-5-2008 by TheAgentNineteen]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo

i don't see it as a pr disaster. it's more of a wake up call. imagine how that looks to heart fans who aren't democrats? i can see why they may disagree with their political platform and they can voice that opinion rationally, at the voting box or by campaigning for their choice. but to come out the way they did... nothing like insulting half the nation.

maybe they should institute a law where people who don't have the same political platform, can't buy your products.

i advise everyone to think that over carefully.
[edit on 5-9-2008 by undo]

I seriously doubt many musicians particularly care who they are "insulting".

I'm a little confused as well, Rock musicians have typically been associated since Rock's inception with being a more liberal group of people. Do you really think Bob Dylan would have allowed Richard Nixon to campaign to "Blowin in the Wind"?

Do we really want to tone down music into a pablum that is safe for consumption for the masses and hermetically sealed in a Tupperware box?

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   

I'm a little confused as well

that's not a surprise. you still think everyone who has a single conservative thought is:

a meat eating, teenage girl abandoner, rich, christian, male, white, bigot, KKK member, who hates black people, asians, muslims, jews and native americans, and who doesn't care if people have medical coverage or food on the table, wouldn't contribute to charities and hates community programs, who has a low IQ and believes the earth was created 6000 years ago, and hasn't had any college, is a red neck hick, who can't spell or have an independent thought and blah and blah blah. oh and we all drive pickup trucks and listen to country music.

somehow we end up being filthy idiotic rich poor guys in the hills of tennessee just for having a more issues in common with a conservative candidate.

i'm gonna tell you this over and over again so i can counteract the brainwashing job that's been done on you: It's not true. I can have 1 liberal thought for every conservative thought. In fact, i can have more liberal thoughts than conservative thoughts and still vote conservative if there's even one issue that rises above the others in prominence. I don't want to be told, because of my choice (which i haven't made yet) that I can't listen to a piece of a piece of music because the authors have decided people "like me" are bad. Ya know, the music wasn't for McCain and Palin, it was for other americans. There are conservatives in every racial background.

some don't believe in killing animals, or eating meat, many are not rich, or white or male or truck drivers or country music lovers... i mean good freakin' grief! some conservatives listen to heavy metal. some like rap. some like
rock n' roll, and so on. it's only people like you that keep perpetuating the myth that voting repub means you believe everything that candidate stands for and not voting democrat means you don't like anything the other guy stands for. it's just nonsense.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative

Originally posted by scientist

Typical elitist leftist.

The song was purchased by someone at one time, and if they choose to play it at a convention, or at a backyard BBQ, there should be no difference. There is no commercialization in that. People buy music to be entertained. That is all it was used for.

I am sick of Hollywood, Rock Stars, Community Organizers etc., thinking they are so important that we should stop and listen to their infinite wisdom because they can act, sing a song, or organize a protest.

perhaps you guys dont understand how royalties and licensing works. If you want to buy a cd, and play it, thats ok. If you buy a CD, then use one of those songs in a public arena, say to thousands of people... that's not ok, unless you got permission and paid (if needed).

Sorry, but the spin stops here, neocons.

FYI I have never been a liberal...ever. So I can't be a neocon.

The CD or song was paid for at one point or another. By your explanation there are private party DJ's breaking the law everyday. If I buy a CD and choose to entertain with it, what is the limit of my entertainment?

FOR your information a neocon is hardly a liberal in spirit, practice or beliefs.

This is like calling a black guy born in GEORGIA an AFRICAN. I am certian you will keep telling yourself this, but it makes you sound dense and hypocritic.

LIBERAL
–adjective
1. favorable to progress or reform, as in political or religious affairs.
2. (often initial capital letter) noting or pertaining to a political party advocating measures of progressive political reform.
3. of, pertaining to, based on, or advocating liberalism.
4. favorable to or in accord with concepts of maximum individual freedom possible, esp. as guaranteed by law and secured by governmental protection of civil liberties.

THIS does not represent GEORGE BUSH, CHENY or RUMMY in any way.
It is beyond a stretch to try and equate the TWO....

1. disposed to preserve existing conditions, institutions, etc., or to restore traditional ones, and to limit change.

noun
8. a person who is conservative in principles, actions, habits, etc.

SOUNDS LIKE THE DEFINITION OF NEOCON to me!

You just keep telling yourself this... You probably considered BUSH a conservative when it was convenient to you.

"Neoconservatism is the first variant of American conservatism in the past century that is in the 'American grain.' It is hopeful, not lugubrious; forward-looking, not nostalgic; and its general tone is cheerful, not grim or dyspeptic. Its 20th-century heroes tend to be TR, FDR, and Ronald Reagan. Such Republican and conservative worthies as Calvin Coolidge, Herbert Hoover, Dwight Eisenhower, and Barry Goldwater are politely overlooked." [Irving Kristol, "The Neoconservative Persuasion," in "The Weekly Standard," Aug. 25, 2003]

SO sit down and be real to your self, neighbor. Case closed!

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
crap,i knew it.
when i became a christian, i shoulda just refused to buy anything that wasn't made by people i agree with.... "who made that honey?? what?? a liberal?! throw it out!"

face it, the country has turned into a dehumanization machine!

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   

I'm a little confused as well

that's not a surprise. you still think everyone who has a single conservative thought is:

a meat eating, teenage girl abandoner, rich, christian, male, white, bigot, KKK member, who hates black people, asians, muslims, jews and native americans, and who doesn't care if people have medical coverage or food on the table, wouldn't contribute to charities and hates community programs, who has a low IQ and believes the earth was created 6000 years ago, and hasn't had any college, is a red neck hick, who can't spell or have an independent thought and blah and blah blah. oh and we all drive pickup trucks and listen to country music.

somehow we end up being filthy idiotic rich poor guys in the hills of tennessee just for having a more issues in common with a conservative candidate.

i'm gonna tell you this over and over again so i can counteract the brainwashing job that's been done on you: It's not true. I can have 1 liberal thought for every conservative thought. In fact, i can have more liberal thoughts than conservative thoughts and still vote conservative if there's even one issue that rises above the others in prominence. I don't want to be told, because of my choice (which i haven't made yet) that I can't listen to a piece of a piece of music because the authors have decided people "like me" are bad. Ya know, the music wasn't for McCain and Palin, it was for other americans. There are conservatives in every racial background.

some don't believe in killing animals, or eating meat, many are not rich, or white or male or truck drivers or country music lovers... i mean good freakin' grief! some conservatives listen to heavy metal. some like rap. some like
rock n' roll, and so on. it's only people like you that keep perpetuating the myth that voting repub means you believe everything that candidate stands for and not voting democrat means you don't like anything the other guy stands for. it's just nonsense.

My problem is that I am sick of being called a "LIBERAL" in the spirit of a racial slur.

I don't mind conservatives until they start using this word like the N word, or those jews, those mexicans , those fags, THOSE LIBERALS...

I'm frankly sick of it - it makes me angry and it often takes me to a place were I
start to entertain the bigoted thoughts and assumptions you have mentioned.

Anyways right or wrong it makes me livid, like I will cut your neck with a broken bottle angry. I am an IRISH NORWEGIAN and I lose my mind very fast. When I was 20 I almost killed a man when he sprung the word on me once to often at a rally. I am big, I brought him down and turned him blue. Lucky I did not have a blade on me... I would not be free and he would be ghost. This was the only time I have gotten violent in my life.

Unfortunately this word sounds like the N word to me when it is used the way RUSH and his minions use it.

[edit on 5-9-2008 by mental modulator]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   

I'm frankly sick of it - it makes me angry and it often takes me to a place were I start to entertain the bigoted thoughts and assumptions you have mentioned. Anyways right or wrong it makes me livid, like I will cut your neck with a broken bottle angry. I am an IRISH NORWEGIAN and I lose my mind very fast. When I was 20 I almost killed a man when he sprung the word on me once to often at a rally. I am big, I brought him down and turned him blue. Lucky I did not have a blade on me... I would not be free and he would be ghost. This was the only time I have gotten violent in my life.

my husband's family wasn't even here during slavery. they were from hungary and came here to escape hitler's march across the continent. they weren't jewish but they knew hitler was nuts. did hungarians have black slaves? his descendants didn't steal land from native americans cause when all that was going down, his ancestors were still living in hungary.

my family, on the other hand, are european muts. we have scottish, british, german and french in our ancestory. don't think they came over on the first boats, but eventually...

i never use the word liberal as a swear word. i use it the same way i do conservative. but if it makes you feel any better, i'll call you a democrat instead. i don't take well to displays of violence, just so you know. i'm a menopausal woman with a short fuse, myself. so don't ruffle yer feathers at me pal or you'll get some kneetime (i pray for people that upset me hehehe it's scary and violent).

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   

crap,i knew it.
when i became a christian, i shoulda just refused to buy anything that wasn't made by people i agree with.... "who made that honey?? what?? a liberal?! throw it out!"

face it, the country has turned into a dehumanization machine!

LOL, that was a good one right there (in regards to the Honey). There are often times that I truly wish we never had Political Parties. You will not believe the number of times I have heard someone say: "I like the guy, but I won't vote for him because he's a Republican", or "They're a good person, and I think they would make a great representative, but I can't support a Democrat". I never understood why someone simply will not support the better candidate, regardless of Party affiliations. As long as you believe in what they represent, you should support them.

Especially during this election, but even more so with local elections, I have witnessed people just voting for a Candidate due to their Political Party, without ever having even listened to where that Candidate stands on the actual issues. Also, within that category, not many people delve into actual research, so they only take information from speeches. If the Candidate can speak a storm, but does not say much, people will still follow. If the other Candidate fails as an orator, but actually stands for solid issues, people simply miss out and mis-judge.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Undo

What are you talking about? Are you referring to another poster other than R.E.D.? Did you just misquote that post. Now I'm confused.

[edit on 5-9-2008 by teeveesfrank]

[edit on 5-9-2008 by teeveesfrank]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Wait, how do you know what I think?

I don't really care if you're a Christian or what have you. Where did I mention religion of any kind?

I do know that you put a ton of words into my mouth. Why would you do that?

This is completely out of left field, as I was simply trying to point out the power of music. If you thought I was attacking you...well I'm incredibly confused as how you could think that, but I certainly didn't mean to.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   

I'm frankly sick of it - it makes me angry and it often takes me to a place were I start to entertain the bigoted thoughts and assumptions you have mentioned. Anyways right or wrong it makes me livid, like I will cut your neck with a broken bottle angry. I am an IRISH NORWEGIAN and I lose my mind very fast. When I was 20 I almost killed a man when he sprung the word on me once to often at a rally. I am big, I brought him down and turned him blue. Lucky I did not have a blade on me... I would not be free and he would be ghost. This was the only time I have gotten violent in my life.

my husband's family wasn't even here during slavery. they were from hungary and came here to escape hitler's march across the continent. they weren't jewish but they knew hitler was nuts. did hungarians have black slaves? his descendants didn't steal land from native americans cause when all that was going down, his ancestors were still living in hungary.

my family, on the other hand, are european muts. we have scottish, british, german and french in our ancestory. don't think they came over on the first boats, but eventually...

i never use the word liberal as a swear word. i use it the same way i do conservative. but if it makes you feel any better, i'll call you a democrat instead. i don't take well to displays of violence, just so you know. i'm a menopausal woman with a short fuse, myself. so don't ruffle yer feathers at me pal or you'll get some kneetime (i pray for people that upset me hehehe it's scary and violent).

HEY this certainly not directed at you... I am only trying to convey to you the physical reaction that the word (in the context mentioned) gives ME.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

i remember going to the voting booth and looking at the names of the other candidates (besides the one i was interested in voting for) and having no clue who they were or what they stood for. so i had to reach a decision. i decided to vote for any name that i recognized! lol the power of advertising! so there ya go. for anyone that's interested. that's a peek inside the mind of the typical voter. kinda scary actually.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Do we really want to tone down music into a pablum that is safe for consumption for the masses and hermetically sealed in a Tupperware box?

this has nothing to do with the tone of the music. what kinda off the wall comment is this? it doesn't even touch on the subject of the words in the music. it's just the concept of even being allowed to play the music. i mean, there was a whole sector of christians that had to fight tooth and kneecap to get contemporary christian music even accepted in christian circles. we were told - don't listen to that evil stuff, much less secular music. and now it's heart telling us, don't listen to our music!

sheesh, okay! i get the message! (sarcasm)
right now, i can sing every word in almost any song heart has ever written.
and can play several on the acoustic guitar as well. my favorite was the "dream of the archer. "

and now they hate me.

[edit on 6-9-2008 by undo]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

But you don't have to follow the bands politics to love their music.

I don't support Michael Jackson's behavior, but sometimes I just have to listen to Billie Jean.

While Heart has the right to control who can publicly exhibit their music, you have the right to listen to whatever the heck you want to.

One of the most beautiful albums I have ever had the peasure of listening to is by a Christian artist: Seven Swans by Sufjan Stevens

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by round_eyed_dog

oh this guy just flips me out. watch the whole thing!
he's amazing.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Typical elitist leftist.

The song was purchased by someone at one time, and if they choose to play it at a convention, or at a backyard BBQ, there should be no difference. There is no commercialization in that. People buy music to be entertained. That is all it was used for.

I am sick of Hollywood, Rock Stars, Community Organizers etc., thinking they are so important that we should stop and listen to their infinite wisdom because they can act, sing a song, or organize a protest.

Amen.But then, that why Im hoping hollywood goes all out for barak the way they went all out for Kerry, and Gore.
You can always trust the american people to do what hollywood wants in the theatres, while doing the exact opposite of what hollywood wants in the voting booth.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 01:59 AM
link   
What REALLY is funny to me is I used to love Sheryl Crow. But, then, she started yapping her mouth about how I should only use 1 flat of toilet paper, then started running her mouth about her political viewpoints. I stopped buying her CDs at her third release (about the time she started "yapping" instead of just singing).

I guess my Heart CD is going out to the garage too now........

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by round_eyed_dog
But you don't have to follow the bands politics to love their music.

quoted for truth. And there is a huge difference between disagreeing with an artists politics, but liking their music - opposed to disagreeing with an artists politics, and using their music for your political campaign.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I am the perfect example of liking someones music but hating their politics.

I, RRConservative love the band......

System of a Down....

Ouch! I admit it.

It was easy to bash the Ditsy Chicks, because their music was terrible anyway. But I still jam to SOAD!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join