It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is a hillarious article and so true...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
www.naturalnews.com...

The difference between American reality(Fake) and Ecuadorian reality(Nature).

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this article, I really enjoyed reading it.

It seems as though we have doomed ourselves to fast paced artificial living. I couldnt agree more with the author, our lifestyle in America is by and large unhealthy and unnatural.

I always get the feeling that by not experiencing life and survival and nature first hand I am missing out on a lot. All of this traffic and credit debt and strict micro management is overwhelming at times..

This is why we have so many people in depression and heavily medicated and off balance, we have all gotten away from living as nature has intended for us to live. As far as western culture being artificial, I couldn't agree more. Everything is based upon greed and control.

Ecuador sounds like a nice place, I am planning a trip to Costa Rica in November and hopefully it will be equally as beautiful.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Your welcome and thankyou for your reply. I hope you have a great time in Costa Rica.

This is why i believe in times of disasters etc natural sustainability and survival skills should be taught in all schools. Nature walks should be a given.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
It's a biased article, but it makes some noteworthy mentions of the differences.
How difference would Ecudor be if they had all what the US had???

Note that at the end of the article the writer slots in the web url of a real estate business down there

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Sorry do you mean the vilcamba homes where he was staying or the google adds?

Biased in what way?

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Unfortunately I feel physically ill whenever I'm exposed to heat and humidity as I found out in Italy, so I doubt I'll be going to South America anytime soon, but I do agree with what the article said. I had the same kind of culture shock when I got back from a 2 week trip to Europe (Germany, Austria, Italy, and Switzerland). One morning we saw a woman going with a basket to the local bakery. We went there for breakfast instead of eating at the hotel and it was delicious, and truly fresh. I also noticed that you had to pay for plastic bags when shopping. Most everyone we saw brought their own cloth bag, and I'm glad to see that the U.S. -at least where I live- are encouraging people to buy these cloth bags and use them instead of the plastic ones. Most of the towns we went to, especially in Germany and Austria, were cobblestone, and cars didn't have the right of way. They had to wait for the people to form a path and let them by. Many of them rode bikes, and many others walked. I saw small gardens in many backyards. These are just a few things I noticed, and I was amazed when I came back home to food with preservatives, hardly anyone walking anywhere, and so many other things that instantly made me miss Europe.
As for what the article said about being disconnected to nature, I also agree. But to keep from being too disconnected, my family makes it a high priority to go camping in the Rockies at least once a month during the Summer. We hike through the woods, see how bright the stars are at night compared to how bright they are when you're in the city, and fall asleep to the sounds of the various animals scurrying about. Living in a city is nice and convenient, but spending some time in the mountains is refreshing.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I enjoyed that read. Of course the author failed to point out the drawbacks of living close to nature. Yes, the US is way out of whack with nature, but one cannot live entirely in nature without some hardships.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Starred and Flagged. Best thread I have seen in a while.

I see this all the time when out driving. People so obsessed with their artificial lives that they do not even notice what else is going on around them. Then I return home to my mountain. I can breath fresh air and eat fresh food. I realize that all our lives, we spend chasing death.

Life is right outside my door. I still get to watch the lightning bugs and listen to the crickets. I still get to smell the wild honeysuckle vines. I can find food to eat within walking distance, and there is no POS terminal to take my credit card. I just pick, and eat.

Then I get back into that truck and see the 'normal' side of life today again. It really bothers me sometimes. So many blind people, racing as hard as they can in their search for death.

Maybe I should move to Ecuador...

Originally posted by WatchRider
It's a biased article, but it makes some noteworthy mentions of the differences. How difference would Ecudor be if they had all what the US had???

I think this says it all. What is better: to have things, or to be truly alive?

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Apparently the guy doesn't take into account the reality of living in a city. Parents pick up their kids because the reality is that some a-hole might come along and kidnap them otherwise. Whether or not that fear is founded, it makes the parents feel better if they just transport the kid themselves. Growing our own food? Sure, let me just plant a garden next to my apartment building. I'm sure the landlord would love that. I'll just keep the tractor and garden tools in the stairwell. They won't mind.

If this guy wants to compare the two places then he should be using a rural area instead of an urban or even sub-urban area. I find it hard to believe that even the urban areas in Ecuador have self-sustaining citizens.

It also seems to me that the immigration traffic would be MUCH higher in the US than in Ecuador, which would explain at least some of the difference there.

He did raise a few good points, but I got sick of reading his whiny article about half way through.

new topics

top topics

join