It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Roman settlement uncovered in UK

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Roman settlement uncovered in UK

www.presstv.ir

An American archaeologist has uncovered the foundations for a Roman settlement on east Cleveland coast in the United States.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4-9-2008 by asala]

[edit on 4-9-2008 by asala]

[edit on 5-9-2008 by Skyfloating]

[edit on 5-9-2008 by Skyfloating]

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 7/9/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Do I live in a parallel world or should this be headline news everywhere? Is sit just me that had no clue that Anglo Saxons and ancient Roman's settled in the US...apparently this archaeologist knew about Anglo-Saxon settlements but was suprised to find out about the Roman ruins. Does this not turn much of we know about our ancestors on it's head? There were also articles on Indian papers regarding this discovery but I can't find them anymore. Any opinions regarding this?

www.presstv.ir
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 7/9/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
How incredibly ironic if it turns out that Native Americans were actually descendants of ancient Romans.

It WOULD explain the nose, though.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Surely someone should be interested in this story. I hope this story doesn't just die, these people have known for a year that the Anglo-Saxons settled in the US and I have seen no documentaries, no news stories..nothing in the UK media about this. Am I the only one to be surprised and puzzled?

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
United Kingdom. Not United States.

www.thenorthernecho.co.uk...

AN archaeologist has uncovered the foundations for a Roman settlement on the picturesque east Cleveland coast.

Steve Sherlock, whose painstaking work in a farmer's fields near Loftus uncovered evidence of Anglo-Saxon royalty last year, has returned to the site - and been able to go even further back in time in the latest dig.

/5s4g36

[edit on 9/4/08 by CO Vet]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
i would look at a possible alternative as to the origin of the people in this settlement. if they were roman, this goes against everything we have ever known about our continents early settlements. i say, take the road of easiest resistance... a mistake was made, those are not romans. if they are, wow! thats cool. how ya think they got there? some sort of expedition that settled and never returned for more romans? how many other civilizations did this and never made a lasting go at colonizing the new world?

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Ok so the original article on Prestv is wrong when it says the US? How the hell could they mistake the US with the UK? Honestly I had a fit so I googled it and found two similar articles from Indian papers, when I tried to link to them I couldn't find them anymore. There is more detail in the PresTV article then there is in the northernecho...ok sorry for the mistake, not my mistake but sorry anyway.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Sorry, it's really not that earth shattering that the Romans settled in Britain. I thought it was common knowledge.

Someone needs to bone up on their geography.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   

THe news article mistakenly thought the find was in Cleveland, USA not East Cleveland , UK.

What idiots.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Sorry to burst your bubble Bubbles

A hoard of brooches, pendants and beads also uncovered from the site in superb condition, are thought to date back to the 7th century and to have connections with the ancient Kings of Northumbria.

Northumbria should be in England!

The article is wrong IMO

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte
Sorry, it's really not that earth shattering that the Romans settled in Britain. I thought it was common knowledge.

Someone needs to bone up on their geography.

I live in NW Ohio and was like, hmmmm, Cleveland eh? However, my first thought was that it was in the UK and NOT in the U.S. Then the OP began to make it sound like they had stated Cleveland, Ohio!

Keep it real folks. Nothing too exciting here. The Romans moved into the majority of Asia, Europe and parts of Africa.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Yes I believe it is just a typo or an error on the part of the author of that particular article. It is actually the UK, not the US.

From arltblog.wordpress.com...

Steve Sherlock, whose painstaking work in a farmer’s fields near
Loftus uncovered evidence of Anglo-Saxon royalty last year, has
returned to the site - and been able to go even further back in time in
the latest dig.

Loftus is a town in England.

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
"What does that say?"
"Er...'Romans, go home'?"
"No it doesn't."

Yes, this is very much the UK. I just had to put that Life of Brian quote in there!

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by C.C.Benjamin

I couldn't resist either:

Reg: All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

Attendee: Brought peace?

Reg: Oh, peace - shut up!

Reg: There is not one of us who would not gladly suffer death to rid this country of the Romans once and for all.

Dissenter: Uh, well, one.

Reg: Oh, yeah, yeah, there's one. But otherwise, we're solid.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
This has me stumped.It says US, and then talks about UK.
Confusing.

Archaeologist uncovers Roman settlement in US
Europe Sun
Thursday 4th September, 2008
(ANI)

London, September 4 : An archaeologist has uncovered the foundations for a Roman settlement on East Cleveland coast in the US.

According to a report in The Northern Echo, the archaeologist in question is Steve Sherlock, who was helped by volunteers from Teesside Archaeological Society, to find a 1,600 year-old site for creating jet jewellery.

Sherlock had earlier uncovered evidence of Anglo-Saxon royalty in a farmer's fields near Loftus last year.

"It's another completely exciting find, even though I didn't expect to find it. I came here to find a Saxon settlement and I'm discovering a very significant Roman site, too," he said.

"To find a significant Roman site at Street House that is contemporary with the Roman signal station at Huntcliff is fantastic. Here at Street House we have found a Roman jet working site that would have made jet jewellery," he added.

Aerial photographs first guided Sherlock's Iron Age research project to the location in 2004, showing evidence of an Iron Age enclosure, then last year, the site revealed 109 Anglo Saxon graves, dating back to the seventh century.

A hoard of brooches, pendants and beads was also uncovered in superb condition and a gold brooch - a bracteate - will go on show in a special display at Redcar's Kirkleatham Museum.

According to Coun Sheelagh Clarke, Redcar and Cleveland Council's cabinet member for culture, leisure and tourism, "This is another magnificent find that shows what a rich and varied cultural heritage we have in east Cleveland."

An open day on Sunday, September 7, from 10.30am-4pm, including guided tours at the site will clearly show visitors the entrance to the building, a cobbled road leading to the entrance and the stone foundations.

story.europesun.com...

We need some clarification here.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Interestinggg

It is very simple. Some authors are looking at the 'East Cleveland' bit and immediately thinking of Cleveland, Ohio when in actual fact there is a Cleveland in the UK as well. The dig took place near a town called Loftus. Googling "Loftus, Cleveland" brings up a multitude of sites about the United Kingdom.

Now can we go back to quoting the Life of Brian until a mod shuts this thread down?

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Splitters.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I still think it's fascinating when ancient ruins discovered. Especially Roman.

So, cool find but bad on the article author for being a moron and not checking his facts. Not to mention the editor. Heads should roll.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Ex-Leper: Okay, sir, my final offer: half a shekel for an old ex-leper?
Brian: Did you say "ex-leper"?
Ex-Leper: That's right, sir, 16 years behind a veil and proud of it, sir.
Brian: Well, what happened?
Ex-Leper: Oh, cured, sir.
Brian: Cured?
Ex-Leper: Yes sir, bloody miracle, sir. Bless you!
Brian: Who cured you?
Ex-Leper: Jesus did, sir. I was hopping along, minding my own business, all of a sudden, up he comes, cures me! One minute I'm a leper with a trade, next minute my livelihood's gone. Not so much as a by-your-leave! "You're cured, mate." Bloody do-gooder.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Change the title already. It is the UK not the US. No news here!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join