It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Movies that were killed by their sequals.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
This is a kind of response to the "Movies that deserve a sequal" thread.
I'm sorry but many movies named in that thread were left like they were for the sole purpose of you using your imagination and really do not need sequal's to tell you what happened next. Infact if you think it needs a sequal to explain what you want to have happened then you don't need a sequal because you have you own assumtion of what happened next.

So here goes, what sequals killed the original film.

My input would be The Matrix Reloded and Revolutions.

The Matrix left a big impact on me, I had all these thoughts and Ideas about what Neo was capable of and I enjoyed summarising these points with friends. I knew he was capable of changing code and flight and so on and so forth. His capabilities seemed limitless. They showed very little of this in the sequals.
I had high hopes for the sequals but they were just not what I wanted to see.

I wish I had never seen them and could keep the assumtions I had of Neo and the other chararcter's

Your turn.

[edit on 3-9-2008 by Chukkles]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
So it sounds like I didn't miss anything not seing the other two Matrix movies. I seen the first and was all amped to see the other two. I just never had the time to go rent them. Sounds like I should pass onto better things.

I don't like any sequel that the main stars are not in. Although Sharon Stone was in the original they waited too long and it looked like she was just desparetly trying to revive her scantly clad movie image.

The main one that come to mind is......

I'm almost imbarrased to even admit that I seen it.

Jaws 3-D. This one had no plot and was another desparate atempt to revive a good thing. Making it 3-D just helped it be the God awfull movie it started out to be.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Scream 2-4 (or however many there were). I thought the first movie was great and it brought back the dormant horror genre, but the sequels all failed and brought down the first.

Stupid sequels

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Predator...........the first one was awesome and the second was total crap. Also, The Hills Have Eyes was great but the second one was boring and predictible.

By the way....is your avatar supposed to be Dr. Rockso from Metalocalypse?

If so

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alora
Scream 2-4 (or however many there were). I thought the first movie was great and it brought back the dormant horror genre, but the sequels all failed and brought down the first.

Stupid sequels

It's funny how they were talking about sequels in Scream 2, about how none are better, but some are. lol.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrMysticism
So it sounds like I didn't miss anything not seing the other two Matrix movies. I seen the first and was all amped to see the other two. I just never had the time to go rent them. Sounds like I should pass onto better things.

I don't like any sequel that the main stars are not in. Although Sharon Stone was in the original they waited too long and it looked like she was just desparetly trying to revive her scantly clad movie image.

The main one that come to mind is......

I'm almost imbarrased to even admit that I seen it.

Jaws 3-D. This one had no plot and was another desparate atempt to revive a good thing. Making it 3-D just helped it be the God awfull movie it started out to be.

By all means, give them a go if you come across them, thats just my opinian, yours may differ, they're good action films but they don't IMO seem to have the "heart" of the first.

Never saw Jaws 3D, was that at one of those "New-fangled" 3D cinemas?

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Chukkles

"Batman and Robin" almost killed the Batman franchise for Warner Brothers. Luckily, they found Chris Nolan to bring it back.
"Superman III" and "Superman IV" helped ruin that franchise. WB even sold the rights to IV to another studio. It was almost completely doomed when word got out that Nicholas Cage was going to play Superman. I am glad someone came to their senses on that one.
"Back to the Future" parts 2 and 3 were completely unnecessary, but Universal wanted a sequel since the original was so successful. The last part of the original with Doc Brown telling them about their future kids was a joke. No sequels were intended, but we got a very dark second one and a so-so third one.
It is all about the dollar when it comes to Hollywood.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Chukkles

Yeah. Pretty bad though. That was when so many movies were thinking the new 3-D would bring in veiwers.

I think there was a Friday the 13th 3-D also.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I was a big fan of the Matrix. Really opened my eyes at a young age to the endless possibilities that could be out there. I thought the sequel was excellent. Not quite as good.. but still a very good film. I left the theatre after watching the third one completely pissed off.

I own an enormous amount of DVD's and I have a compulsion that if I own movie in a series that I must own them all. I still only own the first two Matrix movies. I refuse to buy the third. It was terrible.

I also agree with the Scream movies.

I don't think the sequels were terrible, I just don't think they could possibly live up to the original.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Exorcist II: The Heretic. The first one was great but the sequel was horrible.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Yeah I agree with the Matrix the first film was quite deep and quite meaningful then they completely butchered it with the two sequels.

I think the number of Aliens sequels kind of ruined the original as well the second one was ok though but they just kept at it till it lost any effect.

Oh and Highlander the first movie was amazing and the rest were just awful.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
The single most terrible sequal moment in my lifte was when I was stupid enough to watch Godfather III...

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
The Exorcist, Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory, The Grudge!

[edit on 9/5/2008 by Givenmay]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

ditto

3 hours and there was a noose to be found in the foyer, ANYWHERE!

cocoon the return?? no cocoon was crap as well

return of the jedi... tripe!!!

starwars and empire strikes back should have been one film

[edit on 5-9-2008 by drevill]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I agree with the matrix comments, although I didn't care for the second one either. I own the first one and loved it at one point, but I have no interest in watching it because of what they did with parts 2 and 3.

Back to the Futures weren't bad, at least they were entertaining.

My biggest gripe is the damn Starwars Prequels. I sort of pretend they don't exist. I've actually vowed not to show them to my kids until they're older.

[edit]

And Alora, nice sig. =)

[edit on 5-9-2008 by an0maly33]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Givenmay

Jonny Depp as Willy Wonka? What were they thinking? DOH! :bnghd:

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by an0maly33
I agree with the matrix comments, although I didn't care for the second one either. I own the first one and loved it at one point, but I have no interest in watching it because of what they did with parts 2 and 3.

Back to the Futures weren't bad, at least they were entertaining.

My biggest gripe is the damn Starwars Prequels. I sort of pretend they don't exist. I've actually vowed not to show them to my kids until they're older.

[edit]

And Alora, nice sig. =)

[edit on 5-9-2008 by an0maly33]

Nice avatar

I can't agree more about the Star Wars prequels-- they suck on toast. I could go on for days about all that was wrong and unholy about those three movies, but I will spare you.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I love all the Back to the Future movies . I am surprised that nobody has mentioned Speed Two Cruise control. That film is dam awful and killed the Speed franchise which they should have gotten one more sequel out of . Although Speed Two may just be a really bad sequel because the story line doesn't directly continue from the first one if my memory serves me correctly .

Cheers xpert11.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

1. My problem with the BTTF sequels is the writers did not know what to do after the "joke" was solved. Why did they make two movies instead of just one? They weren't terrible, but they weren't necessary either.
2. The "Star Wars" prequels were not needed either. "Jedi" had some good parts, but I agree that some parts were bad. Lucas should of used Wookies like he planned instead of Ewoks.
3. "Star Trek V" was terrible, at least they made "The Undiscovered Country" to make up for it. The only good Star Trek movie the Next Generation cast made was "First Contact". The other three can be tossed out the door. Let's hope the movie coming out in May will be good. To be honest, the first Star Trek movie in 1979 was terrible, and that almost cost the franchise its life.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I can name a few franchises who have been suffering due to poor.awful sequels.....

1.The Halloween Franchise
2.The Friday the 13th Franchise
3.The Nightmare on Elm St. Franchise
4.The Hellraiser Franchise
5.The Highlander Franchise
6.The Matrix Franchise

top topics

join