It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

clouds on mars.... alright, cool

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

exactly. Its so entertaining to watch them treat the public as though we can't put 2 and 2 together, and granted.. some can't, but those that can ought to be wondering why they continue to lead us to believe there is no oxygen in the martian atmosphere when it seems impossible for their not to be some.

Perhaps this is why they kept water a secret for as long as they could. Wonder what they will disclose next?

btw OT love the AV phantasm is classic!

[edit on 3-9-2008 by NephraTari]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
how do you think the normal 9 to 5 joe would react to seeing that there are whisps of clouds on an alien world? or just react to all of the amazing discovories that we have been finding on our close little friend mars?

I think that some would be so consumed with their fast pace life that it would not inspire any form of intelligent thought.

that is why it is not a major news story.

i believe that if they were to be shown a nice looking fern growing in a martian wetland that they would just say "huh!!???", on their way to starbucks.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by FremenBlueEyes
the reason i posted it here is because everything dealing with mars is always posted in this forum, whether it be a simple picture of some weird formation or interesting natural event on mars, it is always posted here. why, because it means that there could have been, and may still be, life on mars. which is something alien in my mind.

don't you think?
anyway, why wouldn't you post a thread about Mars? Do some see this as an exception to freedom of Speech?

I can't believe some posts I see sometimes, the poster who asked you that, "not to belittle you"...wow that was profound...

Indeed I freaked too when I saw these NASA photos & animation/footage of clouds there...since there's no atmosphere...what do they 'float' onto? Clouds mean liquid, water some say, like the ice in the crater or all the other evidences of water there, or is it water? Could be other fluid, well I never have had the time to find any chemistry list from NASA, give me a short-cut, someone, please!

If you want to see evidence of "water" on Mars , try You Tube, there are a lot of videos about it there and I recommend Jimbonumber9 "Air and water trapped on Mars"

and www.youtube.com...#

Note, perhaps they aren't clouds as we know them. Perhaps they are made of something else, like gas...???

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Sorry, my link to YouTube doesn't work (for me at least), every of my You The link or search go to errors at this moment, if it doesn't work for you, you can search, very easily there (YT) on NASA, evidence of water, there on perhaps on NASA itself, or:
www.thelivingmoon.com...

[edit on 3-9-2008 by MarsFanMag]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I find it odd that people keep stating that they are supprised with the clouds when there is "no atmosphere on Mars". Actually there is an atmosphere on Mars. There is also an atmosphere on Venus. So clouds on Mars are not a stretch, although it is interesting to see. Where as the activity in Mars atmosphere seems to be almost stagnent, on Venus there are violent thunder and lightning storms around the planet all the time. But both do have an atmosphere.

Now here is my own take on this; Mars is almost a look into Earth's future and Venus is almost a look into Earth's past. it is almost like having access to a time machine to look at the state Earth may become some time in the future with Mars and a look at how the Earth Vilently came into being some time in the past with Venus. This is just my view on this, but wanted to share.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
to ALIENCARNAGE:

Oh wah so sorry! I didn't know you had to be a certified scientist with degrees and mentions or NASA rewards to post here. We can all learn something along the way and all we need is interest to Space and a brain, which is the case for all all us who browse here I presume.

So what is the Mars atmosphere made of, exactly in its components?
What is its chemistry?
How big is it?
Can it be seen from immediate outer-space surroundings?

I have viewed Mars from a distance on Space photos. I have never seen its atmosphere as obvious and even at all, yet it certainly doesn't mean it doesn't exists, and, as everybody else, I'm here to learn. Hold your hands up anyone who knows EVERYTHING about Mars!

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by MarsFanMag

A simple Google search will often do the trick if you need information about a subject:

The atmosphere of Mars is relatively thin, and the atmospheric pressure on the surface varies from around 30 Pa (0.03 kPa) on Olympus Mons's peak to over 1155 Pa (1.155 kPa) in the depths of Hellas Planitia, with a mean surface level pressure of 600 Pa (0.6 kPa), compared to Earth's 101.3 kPa, and a total mass of 25 teratonnes, compared to Earth's 5148 teratonnes. However, the scale height of the atmosphere is about 11 km, somewhat higher than Earth's 7 km. The atmosphere on Mars consists of 95% carbon dioxide, 3% nitrogen, 1.6% argon, and contains traces of oxygen, water, and methane, for a mean molecular weight of 43.34 g/mole. The atmosphere is quite dusty, giving the Martian sky a tawny color when seen from the surface; data from the Mars Exploration Rovers indicates the suspended dust particles are roughly 1.5 micrometres across

en.wikipedia.org...

NASA source:
www.grc.nasa.gov...

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   

All one has to do is watch the TV and there are tons of differnt subjects on Mars, and yes they discuss it's atmosphere. If anyone is seriously intersted in learning and furthering their education on mars there are tons of books and other materials which can be used to aid in this research.

Yes we are all here to help further our knowledge but at the same time it is a good idea to come in with some of the knowledge already so you are able to have more in depth conversations abouth the topics here, not just Mars but others as well.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   

reply to post by RFBurns

i have never seen, with my own eyes, definitive clouds fowing in the atmosphere of mars. to me, that is pretty exciting stuff. they are saying that they are made of ice, so that means more water. what i do not understand is why this is not a top story in the news but rather a lowly subversive story.

It's not a top story because this discovery didn't just happen recently. NASA has been telling us for years that there are clouds, an atmosphere, weather, wind, carbon dioxide, and water on Mars. However cool that video is, it is not the first picture of Mars' clouds. I remember seeing a picture of clouds taken by Spirit or Opportunity about 4 years ago. NASA even had reason to believe that those clouds contained some water-ice.

The polar ice caps have been known for decades now to be made of carbon dioxide ice which is seasonally deposited at the poles by carbon dioxide ice clouds. NASA has speculated for years that water exists on Mars (hence the name of their Mars exploration policy called "follow the water"), albeit they haven't actually "touched" that water until Phoenix recently did it, although the Mars Global Surveyor orbiter detected water a while ago.

So there is no reason for this video showing the clouds to be a top news story, beacuse frankly it isn't news anymore (no matter how cool I personally think that video is).

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

reply to post by RFBurns

i have never seen, with my own eyes, definitive clouds fowing in the atmosphere of mars. to me, that is pretty exciting stuff. they are saying that they are made of ice, so that means more water. what i do not understand is why this is not a top story in the news but rather a lowly subversive story.

It's not a top story because this discovery didn't just happen recently. NASA has been telling us for years that there are clouds, an atmosphere, weather, wind, carbon dioxide, and water on Mars. However cool that video is, it is not the first picture of Mars' clouds. I remember seeing a picture of clouds taken by Spirit or Opportunity about 4 years ago. NASA even had reason to believe that those clouds contained some water-ice.

The polar ice caps have been known for decades now to be made of carbon dioxide ice which is seasonally deposited at the poles by carbon dioxide ice clouds. NASA has speculated for years that water exists on Mars (hence the name of their Mars exploration policy called "follow the water"), albeit they haven't actually "touched" that water until Phoenix recently did it, although the Mars Global Surveyor orbiter detected water a while ago.

So there is no reason for this video showing the clouds to be a top news story, beacuse frankly it isn't news anymore (no matter how cool I personally think that video is).

The OP doesn't mean to say it's the discovery of the century or whatever you clearly accuse her off.
We get the picture that you hate the word "cool", no surprise there.

You read it completely wrong: "Clouds on Mars, ALRIGHT, COOL", "ALRIGHT, COOL": it MEANS: she's surprised that NASA doesn't make big lines out of this, it should be big news, but curiously now it's passed as completely normal, without any interest or special mention anywhere broadly public.

The OP doesn't mean it's cool, a revelation or anything of the sort.

I wonder what it is on this part of the forum, each time that a cool person creates a thread it's carnaged and shredded to pieces with vampire teeth, just tell us frankly you lot if you think we are in your way! I don't know what you aim to achieve by ganging up on people who have a brain just like you and an interest in the Universe, just like you.

WHY doesn't the NASA clearly inform People?

Any hidden agenda there? or here with the uncool?

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   

i appreciate your defense but, anywhere you go on this site you will be met with someone trying to one up you in some type of way, just so they can feel like they are more smart than another without regarding the content at hand. i have given up on those people a long time ago and just stick to the interesting content.
thanks for the defense, and yes, i agree with you but no, i am not a her.

that would be cool if i was though, cause then i would have boobs to play with all the time.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ziggystar60

A simple Google search will often do the trick if you need information about a subject:

The atmosphere of Mars is relatively thin, and the atmospheric pressure on the surface varies from around 30 Pa (0.03 kPa) on Olympus Mons's peak to over 1155 Pa (1.155 kPa) in the depths of Hellas Planitia, with a mean surface level pressure of 600 Pa (0.6 kPa), compared to Earth's 101.3 kPa, and a total mass of 25 teratonnes, compared to Earth's 5148 teratonnes. However, the scale height of the atmosphere is about 11 km, somewhat higher than Earth's 7 km. The atmosphere on Mars consists of 95% carbon dioxide, 3% nitrogen, 1.6% argon, and contains traces of oxygen, water, and methane, for a mean molecular weight of 43.34 g/mole. The atmosphere is quite dusty, giving the Martian sky a tawny color when seen from the surface; data from the Mars Exploration Rovers indicates the suspended dust particles are roughly 1.5 micrometres across

en.wikipedia.org...

NASA source:
www.grc.nasa.gov...

Thank you very much, Ziggy Star60.
It gives to think of what could these clouds be made of then.
Any big cloud ever seen from immediate surrounding outer-space?
(like we see on Earth by satellite)

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   

i appreciate your defense but, anywhere you go on this site you will be met with someone trying to one up you in some type of way, just so they can feel like they are more smart than another without regarding the content at hand. i have given up on those people a long time ago and just stick to the interesting content.
thanks for the defense, and yes, i agree with you but no, i am not a her.

that would be cool if i was though, cause then i would have boobs to play with all the time.
Laughing +giggling+rolling on ...

Oh I'm so sorry Fremen,
: it's the Blue Eyes that got me thinking wrong, why did I think you were a girl, I 've no idea, I always get that one mixed-up anyway!!
People think I'm a guy, so we should be good friends, it just reverses the machine for both! ah ah!
Right, clouds on Mars, yeah right cool, I never knew either, but it's good to learn, to be honest what do my neighbours know of Mars, they're discussing what they're cooking for tea.
See you round soon then, can I have my skirt back now, thank you.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join