It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physicists Rule Out the Production of Dangerous Black Holes at the LHC

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
they say it would take 4ys for the earth to get sucked in
so basically this is the biggest event in history supporting the 2012 end of the world prophecy

What day are they scheduled to do it and where did you get the information that it could take 4 years for the earth to get sucked in?

What day are people saying something will happen in 2012?

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tour18
Lighten up guys. Look at the bright side of a runaway black hole suddenly appearing anywhere on the French/Swiss border, some tens of meters below the surface.

1. We'll get some killer documentaries filmed from the edge of whatever gets sucked in before the black hole drops into the core of the earth.

2. Europe will be a cooling lava lake so we won't have to worry about the Russians any more. And forget the rising Euro, the dollar will be king again.

3. All the physics types out there will be able to calculate about when the lights will go off. With that detail out of the way, we can forget about planning for retirement and plan on playing until the very end...

[edit on 2-9-2008 by Tour18]

Plus...France will go first!!!

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
They may have heaps of scientists working on this, but take trip back to when challenger blew up, or the Columbia.. I'm sure there were some amazing brains working on these projects/ missions too.

I'm not saying the LHC will destroy the universe etc.
I'm saying it could be potentially dangerous to the staff of the facility and possibly the surrounding areas, if you think realistically.

I guess the mentally ill people of this world will go back to thinking 2012 is the supposable "end of humanity".

And.. for the love of God, PLEASE don't believe this thing could do any damage at all, just don't build a house above it - Everyone makes mistakes, but even all the nuclear bombs in the world still couldn't wipe out all human life.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
What scientific institute said it would take 4 years for a black hole to "suck us in?" I'd love to know. Or was this figured out by one of the random prophet's that now abound, each very accurately guessing our future, even though they all conflict with each other.

I trust the brighest minds on our entire planet to know the safety level of this experiment, and would trust their own desire to survive, and not attempt an experiment that would endanger even their facility, let alone the planet.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I have been thinking about this, and if the bad happens when they flip the switch...we will not have time to care. evrything will get sucked into a worm hole and stretched into forever. not a bad way to go I guess

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Even if they could manage a very short time-period in which it would still exist, a black hole will still produce a gravity well during that time. I've read somewhere (don't remember the source) that if the Earth itself was compressed into the size of the head of a pin, it would still have the same gravity well.

Even a momentary gravity well of that magnitude could create a huge problem. How would they contain the effects of a gravity well anyway? I've heard of technology that may be something like anti-gravity, but that would have to be the "Real McCoy" to counter another gravity well produced by a physical mass.

Originally posted by TXMACHINEGUNDLR
evrything will get sucked into a worm hole and stretched into forever. not a bad way to go I guess

Yeah, the astrophysicists call that phenomenon "spaghettification," where you'd get stretched out into a long string of sub-atomic particles. If that's what really happens, you wouldn't live long enough to feel it anyway.

[edit on 2-9-2008 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I think religious people are more concerned with the LHC. Especially if the LHC project can determine how the "big bang" theory happened. Another blow to religion where science has once again proved that there is indeed no God and the bible is nothing but a fictional story.

As someone else mentioned, people thought the testing of the A-Bomb would start a chain reaction and consume the world. Guess what, it didn't.

If scientists didn't do research and tests, we wouldn't have the advancements we have today now would we?

I will admit when I first heard about the LHC I was ignorant enough to fall for all the fear BS about it. But the more I read about the LHC, the more I realized all the fears of earth being sucked into a black hole etc is just nonsense.

Oh and the theories about 2012, nonsense too. For decades and decades people have been predicting the end of the world, and yet we are still here. Remember Y2K? Nothing catastrophic happened now did it? Once 2012 passes, some nut will predict another year the world will end, probably 2020. Point is, no one can predict anything.

And the Mayan calender that ends at 2012 is not a prediction of a doomsday event, its just a cycle that ends and then starts over again.

Read this about 2012, it should put things into perspective

No doomsday in 2012

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by no_pulse
I think religious people are more concerned with the LHC. Especially if the LHC project can determine how the "big bang" theory happened. Another blow to religion where science has once again proved that there is indeed no God and the bible is nothing but a fictional story.

As someone else mentioned, people thought the testing of the A-Bomb would start a chain reaction and consume the world. Guess what, it didn't.

If scientists didn't do research and tests, we wouldn't have the advancements we have today now would we?

I will admit when I first heard about the LHC I was ignorant enough to fall for all the fear BS about it. But the more I read about the LHC, the more I realized all the fears of earth being sucked into a black hole etc is just nonsense.

Oh and the theories about 2012, nonsense too. For decades and decades people have been predicting the end of the world, and yet we are still here. Remember Y2K? Nothing catastrophic happened now did it? Once 2012 passes, some nut will predict another year the world will end, probably 2020. Point is, no one can predict anything.

And the Mayan calender that ends at 2012 is not a prediction of a doomsday event, its just a cycle that ends and then starts over again.

Read this about 2012, it should put things into perspective

No doomsday in 2012

You are correct.
It is religious control groups.
Who fear losing control over there slaves and profits from there income going down.
Due to people finding out more facts about reality and rejecting them.
I find it particularly disturbing when I see christian say they believe the earth to be only 6 thousand years old.
When there is 99.9% proof that it is much older and no proof that it is only 6000 years old.
2012 and Nibiru combination thing was made up to make money sell dvd's ebooks etc.
That is a fact.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
What will they learn from this device that warrants the energy and resources put into it. I hear talk that the scientists will be able to see the universe at the moment of the big bang and such. I just don't get it. I have suspicions about this whole deal and what a giant deal it is. It looks as though the LHC could be capable of anything. I'm rather ignorant when it comes to things like this. I would like to know what benefits to mankind the LHC will produce.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join