It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physicists Rule Out the Production of Dangerous Black Holes at the LHC

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Physicists Rule Out the Production of Dangerous Black Holes at the LHC

www.physorg.com

The fact is, the LHC could produce a tiny, extremely short-lived (read: harmless) black hole. It is an unlikely event, but one that physicists are nonetheless excited about. However, they discount the possibility of a stable black hole -- one with the chance to grow into something worth worrying about -- as much more science fiction than science.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
OK I cant wait for all the ATS Armchair Physicists to come out of their holes and tell us all the largest scientific project in the world employing the single largest number of physicists of all time are all wrong and we're going to die.

"But how can they know this wont happen..."

Answer: Ill take 100+ physicists guess over any ATS's members guess, vision, or stoned forethought.

The fact is the LHC will provide us with plenty of data and wont cause the destruction of the universe nor Earth for that matter.

www.physorg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
There's a way around your argument and that is that they are lying and expecting us to believe them just because they are authority figures. They are messing around with things they shouldn't and blind curiosity is getting the better of their good sense.

Well, that's something like what I expect to hear anyway. I don't think anything worse will happen than interesting physics breakthroughs.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
well if they are wrong and lets face it scientists have been wrong many many times in the past.

an "I told You So!" just seems so inadequet considing the impending destruction of the planet.

scientists believe they know everything right up untill something unexpected happens then its like "well we could never have predicted that"

sheesh scientists still cant tell us with any definitive certainty just what the hell a black hole is and they are going to start creating them.

stupidity at its finest

[edit on 1-9-2008 by Demandred]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
they say it would take 4ys for the earth to get sucked in
so basically this is the biggest event in history supporting the 2012 end of the world prophecy

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
so basically this is the biggest event in history supporting the 2012 end of the world prophecy

"THEY".....

Ahhh yes the "They" people.

"They" say allot don't they?

And why not include the entire comment "they" say.....you know ....the parts where its infinitesimal in its probability to even occur....or how those black holes emit more particles than they take in and eat themselves alive...

(A point made by that guy Steven Hawking...you know..."They")

Just who are these "They" people and how does one find them?

[edit on 1-9-2008 by DisabledVet]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
This is a very dangerous , playing with physics without fully on a global scale as the particle accelorator is going thtrough its first test.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
just some things i wanted to point out about the article.

LHC collisions may reveal new clues about the origin of the universe

may? they dont sound too certain ?

The fact is, the LHC could produce a tiny, extremely short-lived (read: harmless) black hole. It is an unlikely event

could? they still want to go ahead withthis even though they are uncertain

two physicists took a close, practical look at the issue by examining known astrophysical phenomena, using what scientists already know about the universe

what scientists already know about the universe? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA they know next to nothing about the universe, probably more than me but still next to nothing.

They calculate that a charged black hole produced by cosmic rays wouldn't be able to travel very far before it was drained of energy by the material of the Earth

ooo they calculated this did they get the calculations from what they already know about the universe lol

But if the black hole was neutral, and if it was also stable, emitting no Hawking radiation, that could be troubling. Giddings and Mangano examine this scenario despite that the likelihood of it occurring is almost zero

hey folkes heres the BUT !, troubling they say.. yes i imagine having the earth sucked into a black hole would be very troubling...

almost zero? id want something a bit more concrete than almost

Over pages of analysis, they show that there are two possible cases of stable, neutral black holes. Which of these cases could be true depends on which physics theory of extra dimensions (there are competing theories) is correct

this last one is an absolute clanger "Which of these cases could be true depends on which physics theory of extra dimensions (there are competing theories) is correct"

and here i was thinking this article was supposed to make us all feel better silly me....

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Demandred
just some things i wanted to point out about the article.

You know your right. We should just close up shop and not try anything.

"Hey Zorg....you no wanna make a fire with those sticks...could cause the whole world to burn up...we ok eating raw fish...safer that way"

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by DisabledVet

stick rubbing is bad,could cause thermal expansion and destroy whole world !!!!

oh sorry mate i guess it is too much to ask not to have the planet destroyed, how selfish of me.

all people ask for in this case are absolutes

no mays, no coulds, no almosts

no, this experiment wont destroy the planet. But the scientists cant say that can they, because they really dont know.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
The energy needed to produce a giant long living planet eating black hole.
We do not possess on the whole earth.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
They are all wrong and we are going to die! I took physics in high school so I am fully qualified.

Nobody knows what the funk this thing is going to do, not even them.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Every "Absolute" we have achieved as a species has come about by braving the "maybes" the "could's" and the "almost's"

That is what defines us as a species.....without it we would have never left the swamp.....

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Which end of days 2012 prophecy did you cherry pick that from ?

If you go by the Mayan one it's not actually an end of the world prophecy at all, it's a time of great change is all and this is apparantly the phase of enlightenment which would tie in with the learning new stuff from the LHC.

Besides if it's been prophecised for the end of the world there's nothing you can do change what is going to happen all you can do is either live your life while you can or sit inside cowering while praying to your God's who don't care about you.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by DisabledVet

Every "Absolute" we have achieved as a species has come about by braving the "maybes" the "could's" and the "almost's"

That is what defines us as a species.....without it we would have never left the swamp.....

so what your saying is that you think there is a possibility they will destroy the planet?

and yes you are correct im not sure about every but i would say the majority of absolutes have come from ifs and maybes, but never before have we tried something that has such a pontential for both knowledge and destruction.

with all my negativity dont get me wrong i think the LHC has the potential to usher in an age of scientific wonder but i just dont trust the scientists they are hedging far too much for something that could be extreamly dangerous

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Discotech

Agreed!

To link this to the 2012 malarky is also assuming that a black hole could/would be created before the end of 2008 ... what happens if a black hole big enough to destroy Earth is not created until mid way through 2010 ... ok ... so we will all die, but at least we will know all that 2012 stuff is a load of crapola

Edit - making more sense out of my post

[edit on 1/9/08 by Horza]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   

but never before have we tried something that has such a pontential for both knowledge and destruction.

Uhhhhh Wrong again.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   

I know it's only just over 60 years since we first developed the A bomb but you'd really think people would remember it wouldn't you ?

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Discotech

I know it's only just over 60 years since we first developed the A bomb but you'd really think people would remember it wouldn't you ?

Right!

But is it because we've come so far since then ?

Or is it because we've chosen to forget?

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DisabledVet

but never before have we tried something that has such a pontential for both knowledge and destruction.

Uhhhhh Wrong again.

lol

an Abomb is a toy compared to a black hole, funnily enuff i was expecting that reply

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join