It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia to suspend the gas supply for Europe!

page: 1

join
share:
sty

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Russia to suspend the gas supply for Europe!

www.ziua.ro

the website is Romanian, I could not find the english source yet -so here we go : Russia will suspend the gas supply for Germany and Poland , starting with tomorrow 2nd of Sept. 14:00 to 3rd of September 22:00 . Everyone expected this will happen, and sure a "technical fault" was invented to justiffy this action..
(visit the link for the full news article)

sty

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
this looks like Europa is indeed the hostage of Russia.

www.ziua.ro
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I would no sooner believe in some obscure rumanian news outlet than I would fox news . They have not finished the EU summit yet to decide if any sanctions are to be made against Russia , so I'd hardly think Russia would cut the gas supply if the EU might come out and say further dialogue is needed .

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
The EU deserves it, Russia has never done anything to us. Russia should send it's gas elsewhere and show the EU what it is like to live in the stone age. They asked for it and I would do the same.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Yes, because they're swimming in money they don't need.
Please, just another Putin tantrum.

Me thinks he like attention.

[edit on 9/1/2008 by schrodingers dog]

sty

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Gun Totin Gerbil

the newspaper is one of the main respectable newspapers in Romania. It is not obscure at all here, i thrust the source. You will see it will come up on the US/UK news by tomorrow

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by sty

Thankyou, I have passed the info on to others.

We need reports from All over the world to get to the truth. So thanks again

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
last time such a disruption happened it was Ukraine doing the stealing:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

iirc, they blamed the Russians, like now, when all the western media fail horribly at concealing their agendas. i remember when Kosovo was effectively annexed by NATO forces, the Russians did not like it but that was it.

chances are, that now the West is experiencing the same in reverse and they throw a tantrum like a spoiled toddler, planting such rumors.

Given the history of slander against the Russians, due caution is advised when believing such overly convenient 'news' and if the gas supply to the EU is really cut, i'll suspect yet another diversion by guess whom? a few sore secre service 'professionals' who can't stand to lose at a silly round of juvenile power poker.

if anything, without gas, they can't fleece and rape people out of their bottom euro dollar with it.

[edit on 2008.9.1 by Long Lance]

sty

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Long Lance

The January 2009 Gas crisis - Russia stopped delivering Gas to Eastern/central Europe for about a week. Russia lost 700 millins during this period. All this "caused" by a dispute with Ucraine over 600 mil. debdt. So, Ucraina does not pay 600 mil. $ so Russia decides to stop delivering Methane gas to Europe , loosing over 600 + Europe now focusing on finding alternative sources of energy as Russia does not seem reliable.
My question - what did Russia gain from this??

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Russia was being shafted for billions this time around so they had to cut of the pipeline to stop the stealing of gas, they increased flow through other pipelines so it was not a powerplay to kick europeans. They just wanted their money. What they gained? Not sure, did they get payed?

xul

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Clearly there are some forces at work trying to isolate EU from Russia and vice versa.

Georgia, Ukraine, NATO/USA missile defense in Poland and the Czech Republic, Kosovo... we all know who's pulling the strings here, I hope?

sty

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
do you think that Ucraine was "paid" to be the iron courtain between Russia and Europe? As I understood, Ucraine actually paid their debds towards Russia, however the issue was that Russia wanted 600 million extra as "interest rate" and penalties for Ucraine not paying on time.

If Ucraine was somehow influenced to stop the gas supply towards europe, then Russia lost this game - Russia and Europe both are loosers at this point. Winers? well, maybe this is where we should look : who benefits?

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Ok i have seen to many ignorant posts here to ignore this. Let me briefly explain whats the situation. As we all know Russia is the main supplier of gas in Europe, now for a long time because Ukraine was/is a friend to Russia we were selling them gas for 180$ per what ever they measure i am not sure, while europe was paying and still pays 450$ per same amount. Now the Ukrainian goverment due to its political situation, corruption and many many other reason on top of this the Crisis nowdays, was unable to pay Russia the full amount of what was signed in the contract between two countries and had a dept at the end of the year of $2.2 billion to Gazpron(I hope we all agree that the amount is extremly big to ignore under any friendship). So now, for the new contract that's to be signed in 2009 as it states in the contract the consumer country needs to pay off the whole amount of the previous contract/year for the new one to the affect. Ukraine was unable to keep up with the already discounted prices it was getting so from the $1.5 billion on top of this another $600 millions was penalties due to late payments or no payments at all. So rightfully Gazprom decided to stop its supplying gas to Ukraine but only keep the transit to Europe through Ukraine which is the main gas pipe. After that Ukraine send a letter to Gazprom threatening it to confiscate any gas passing trough its borders(Ukraine has also signed a contract with Europe regarding the transit that no matter what they have no right to interfere under any circumstances to the transit pipes) So after a week passed of Russia still supplying gas to Europe via Ukraine .Europe has noticed that the numbers they supposed to receive don't match same was recorded in Gazprom in Russia so basically Ukraine has violated the agreement and was "stealing the gas that Europe paid for. So Russia decided to reduce the transit via Ukraine until the situation is resolved as big amounts of gas was not exiting Ukrainian borders. But Ukraine stop the transit completly. Although Ukraine paid the $1.5 billion , there are still to be paid $600 million which Ukraine ignores + the stolen gas. Currently Russia and Germany are discussing the issue and are thinking on building a new pipeline system which conects Russia -Germany directly. That just the brief situation , there more like for example many Europian countries that suffered from Ukraine current policies have gone to Europe court and filed an official complaint about Ukraine.
But of course you dont have to believe me if you don't want as you would think i am representing the Russian point of view . But i dare you to go and read some decent western media /newspaper or what ever to really see the truth for your self and not some propaganda bs about the BIG BAD RUSSIAN BEAR THAT WANTS TO TAKE ALL OF EUROPE. Sorry but that Slogan is getting old now Soviet day have passed 20 years ago . Its time for people to move on .

sty

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Russian Boy

First:Sorry , the OP was listed during the Georgian conflict, when Russia planned to close the gas pipelines for "maintenance" in a suspicious way while the EU did not agree with the Georgia situation. The OP is quite old, my worry was back then than Russia can use the gas resources as a political weapon , and in a way i do not see anything that could stop that - in the end Russia is an independent country and can use their resources the way they find good for their benefit.

Back to our days: No, i do not think you represent the Russian point of view only , your version is the same told by the EU officials too . However, what i wanted to say is : dont you think Russia looses more than 600 millions ? The value of the lost money from selling to EU was 700 millions this week alone . Plus that Europe now is focusing on becoming energy independent (opening more atomic power plants, more renewable pushed a lot now, more gas pumped from Norway , alternative pipelines towards Capian countries etc) , so this will lead in the future to looses that will far exced the 600 million. However , someone will still beneffit from this "gas dispute" . Who benefits?? What country would have a very good advantage of Russia not selling in EU (leaving the humanitarian aspect of letting millions of people to freeze in the coldest winter of the last 20 years ) ?

[edit on 13-1-2009 by sty]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Gas in not going to flow forever , and for Europe to go gas free it will take a lot of years until then Europe still needs the gas desperately. What i am defending is how they want to portrait the Russia again as the reason for their problems. I agree with your point of view regarding alternatives means of Energy as it will help humanity to advance . I too believe someone is making money out of this whole dispute after all the world for them i a big chess game , we are just the pawns

[edit on 13-1-2009 by Russian Boy]

[edit on 13-1-2009 by Russian Boy]

new topics

top topics

join