It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where Do the Veep Candidates Stand on Animals?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Very good post.

The two quotes below are from Mark Twain:

The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.

Dogs rule!!!

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Can I just add here...

All this talk about dogs has got me all giddy about mine.

Sorry to be off topic!

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

I have had two "religious" experiences in my life. The first one occurred when I was 12 and a girl scout, we were hiking and camping. To make a long story short I met a wolf. He looked at me, we made eye contact. The intellegence in those eyes, when you are close up to such a magnificent animal is hard to explain. It is something you must feel.

He was bigger then me so I politely asked him if I could feel his beautiful coat. He laid down and exposed his tummy and mentally asked me to pet him. I felt his beautiful thick fur and could smell him. He licked my hand and looked up into my eyes.

Our encounter only lasted a few short minutes but this experience molded me for the rest of my life.

That experience happened over 44 years ago and I will never forget this sacred encounter I was privledged enough to have.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

The infamous Nikita:

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   

My sweetie pie Odie. Second best friend of 12 years.

"He is my other eyes that can see above the clouds; my other ears that hear above the winds. He is the part of me that can reach out into the sea. He has told me a thousand times over that I am his reason for being; by the way he rests against my leg; by the way he thumps his tail at my smallest smile; by the way he shows his hurt when I leave without taking him. (I think it makes him sick with worry when he is not along to care for me.) When I am wrong, he is delighted to forgive. When I am angry, he clowns to make me smile. When I am happy, he is joy unbounded. When I am a fool, he ignores it. When I succeed, he brags. Without him, I am only another man. With him, I am all-powerful. He is loyalty itself. He has taught me the meaning of devotion. With him, I know a secret comfort and a private peace. He has brought me understanding where before I was ignorant. His head on my knee can heal my human hurts. His presence by my side is protection against my fears of dark and unknown things. He has promised to wait for me... whenever... wherever - in case I need him. And I expect I will - as I always have. He is just my dog." - Gene Hill

[edit on 1-9-2008 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
So we're all agreed: Yea with doggies, down with killing wolves and bears from helicopters with semis, trophy hunting, and cruelty to animals and nature in general.

Seems almost reasonable.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
i'm vegan so really no one out there has my animal rights-based vote but kucinich...ah well...

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

Lol, i love reading your posts, they crack me up all the time. See, I think you need to replace Palin's name with Obarry's. It seems like you will blindly follow the messiah no matter what kind of a dirtbag he is, even though he sold coc aine on the southside of Chicago, is great friends with several known felons, hell, one even helped him buy his house for rock bottom prices.

Obarry even has a close friend that is a terrorist, can you believe that? How do I know this, he is my senator, he won by default, thats right, his challanger droped out of the race because of a sex scandle with his own wife(startrek chic 7of9). That left obarry the only one to vote for and with the help of Chicago politics and the crooked daley camp, he was elected.

So please don't talk of republicans following blindly unless you take a good look in the mirror and see whom is drinking the obarry koolaid.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

No I don't feel using my tax money to hunt a defenseless animal from a helicopter and shoot it is right. I'm certainly not going to vote for a "hunter". It's a primitive and blood thirsty sport.

I was in nursing and have seen what a bullet can do to flesh close up and it is not like in hollywood where the guy stands five seconds after being shot. Being shot is a real sh*&%$ way to die let me tell you.

I've met and petted a wild wolf when I was 12, no it didn't attack me. It came right up to me and we looked into each others eyes. This wolf had more intellegence in it's eyes then many "humans" I've encountered.

I agree that there must be something done for the ranchers that lose livestock, I've also lived on a dairy farm and love cows.

We need to manage our wildlife intellegently and HUMANELY.

Tell me how you treat an animal and I'll tell you what kind of human you are.

I've never like bullies and that includes people who bully animals or anyone that is weaker or more innocent then themselves.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Awwwwwwwww

I love the puppy dogs

BH - i think you have the most gorgeous German Shepherds i've ever seen - the other two (Australian Shepherd....and??? :puz
are beautiful as well - so cute!!

S.D.!! Do you have any idea how long i searched for a BullDog? The only place i found that had them was a refuge in the inner-city of Chicago.

Only problem is im about 3 hours south of chicago - they wouldnt adopt out to me - because i live too far away

Of human descent: I *LOVE* Old dogs. They are my favorite

My uncanny affection for Dogs aside:

and please correct me if im wrong, but:

I think this thread has turned into "hunters are e-e-e-evil"

Hunters arent bad.
I go hunting every Oct-Jan for white tail. In Dec, my buddy and I take our Bow and go rabbit hunting.

We believe very firmly in a "fair fight" as far as you can make it while still giving a human a chance (honestly...any more primitive weapons and we'd be in the tree's with knives waiting to pounce) I know tons of people who practice as we do.

That being said:
MY problem with Mayor Palin is she has no respect what so ever for her surroundings. She is a butch in the sense that she takes the testosterone driven stance to wild life that oh-so-many scruffy bearded men before her have

but "its okay" because she's a sexy mom who gets people riled because she looks like every provocative librarian from the skinemax, i mean cinemax, late night "adult entertainment" "movies"

Now - there is a thing that most hunters around these parts know. Respect your environment. Why? Because i want to be able to go back to the same spot when im 75 years old and hunt. Not go back and "remember" how great it used to be.

You leave your spot taking everything you brought with you
and you leave your spot leaving everything that you didnt.

don't litter
don't pilfer (unless of course your'e lucky enough to have bagged a deer)

Her disregard for wild life is very apparent in her relentless approach to "drill in ANWR"

While im not against drilling - you have to have caution while doing so.
Mayor Palin does not exercise caution.
Everything about her screams this fact.
She does what she wants, when she wants, and doesnt care who she steps on to get there, wild life or human life alike. (unless of course the cameras are watching)

If thats the approach they want to take when voting for a candidate...are we really all that suprised? George W. Bush campaign was "im one of you, lets go have a beer" - throw away the "sexual appeal" with Palin - and you have everything Bush campaigned to be President.

Also - he had a complete disrespect for his environment...

And the majority of Americans as far as the ELECTORAL college was concerned bought into it.

America has been given a chance to voice its opinion.
Not everyone will agree, but Barack Obama and Joe Biden are the change we need.

They might not give a damn about Polar Bears PERSONALLY (i dont know, it doesnt matter if they want to pet them and have one as a pet)

BUT

They do give a damn that a majority of Americans care about the Polar Bears, and thats reason enough for them to want to protect them.

Obama/Biden 2008

any other choice
well

is just the same

[edit on 9/1/2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I don't think hunters are "bad" by definition.

If you use or eat what you kill then it's the same as eating a steak.

My brain is not wired for killing for the sake of killing, obviously many feel different.
That's why mirrors were invented.

I even feel guilty sometimes for snuffing the life of a mosquito, it actually hurts my heart a little.

I know I know, SDog's too sensitive.
Kinda like my avatar.

[edit on 9/1/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Palin endorses killing wolf puppies in their dens. Who thinks that's called "hunting"? Raise your hands...

Everyone has a line they draw as regards the morals of hunting. And those lines are all over the place with different people. My line is somewhere around trophy hunting. If a person hunts fairly and accurately and eats what they kill, I don't have a problem with it at all.

To hunt an animal so you can display it as a conquest is beyond my own personal line of moral decency.

Chasing (by helicopter) and killing a defenseless animal because it is a competitor to the animals YOU want to kill is NOT HUNTING. It's execution.

And chasing a female wolf to its den so you can kill her and her newborn puppies is simply repugnant and inexcusable.

Source

I am a longtime hunter. Like many Alaskans, I was disturbed by the revelation that Department of Fish and Game personnel had killed 14 infant wolves this June on the Alaska Peninsula by shooting each one in the head.

Palin's Wildlife Cartel

Palin's Wildlife Cartel Represents Circumnavigation of Ethics, Truth

While the whole world is going green, in a desperate attempt to save ourselves from ourselves, Governor Palin has sanctioned the massacre of adult wolves at their den-sites and then permitted the systematic execution of their pups. This action was illegal, and now they are trying to hide the facts.

Animals and MONEY: Palin's fiscal weakness for hunters

Palin--in addition to vowing to sue to stop the listing Polar Bears as an endangered species--has put the weight of the state behind defeating a ballot measure that would have limited the aerial shooting of wolves. Nationwide aerial hunting has been banned since 1972's Airborne Hunting Act, but Alaska gets around that by saying the hunters are working for the state to control predators. The idea is to produce more moose and caribou to hunt.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Thanks for this topic. I, too, am a devoted animal lover and animal rights is a huge deal to me. I'm glad to know where the vice-presidential candidates stand as far as animals are concerned and this helps me decide who to vote for. I'm going with Obama/ Biden and this was the clincher!

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I am glad to find someone else who hates killing even bugs or insects. I am very sensitive to living creatures and sometimes I feel like I'm the only one; it's great to know that I'm not!
)))))))))))))))))))

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by annestacey
Considering that wildlife is part of nature and humans are killing the planet... I would vote saving the wildlife over saving the humans.

I second that statement. It never fails when someone gets in a power position the target of their greed, is most times the weaker that feels the abuse. The misguided judgement that one type of animal is infringing on a hunt for trophies is so ignorant it makes me almost without words.
Wolves hunt and take the sick and weakest of the herd leaving the strongest to breed the next generation. If you interrupt that balance in nature then it will soon be the downfall of any trophy hunting.
The very meaning of conservation is.......
"The preservation and careful management of the environment and of natural resources."

The fact that this Governor condones the shooting of wolves from planes and helicopters tells me that she's the WORST kind of so-call sports person.
The extreme cruelty of shooting anything from the air is almost certain to cause for wounding and suffering to an animal. Starvation will follow if the wolf cannot hunt.
If this is one proof of her ability to govern then it should send giant RED FLAGS up for all to see.
One bad person in power can bring down a whole nation.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by merky]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

eek your shepherds are beaUtiful!
look at those faces.
i have a collie and a west highland white terrier. the collie is a female and sweet as she can be. the westie is a male and a little terror. i'm not kidding. my mother-in-law called him satan. he's bitten everyone in the house except tarzan (affectionate name for my hubby, who could do his own rendition of this

)

hehe

[edit on 1-9-2008 by undo]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
So we're all agreed: Yea with doggies, down with killing wolves and bears from helicopters with semis, trophy hunting, and cruelty to animals and nature in general.

Seems almost reasonable.

I would have no problem with that...as long as I have access to a permit that will allow me to carry a semi-auto fire arm for food, protection...ie survival.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mhc_70

Deal. Man, we should be running this country. From right here!

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
the fruits of nature

hehe

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Govenor Palin funded a Preditor Protection program.
The wolf is a killing machine and have been killing the Moose and other enjoyable animals. Its Population control. Would you rather have Moose or Wolfs roaming your streets? I say free the cows!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join