Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Where Do the Veep Candidates Stand on Animals?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Let's talk issues for a sec. This particular one is high on my personal list. As an animal owner and wildlife admirer I feel very strongly about the issues that affect those living around us whom have no voice to defend themselves.

Gov. Sarah Palin:

As of today, the contrast could not be more clear: While Sen. Joe Biden (D-Del.) has been a leader in the Senate to protect marine mammals and exotic wildlife, Gov. Sarah Palin (R-Alaska) has denied the threats facing polar bears and has led her state's efforts to gun down wolves from airplanes and helicopters.

McCain announced this morning that the GOP ticket now includes Gov. Palin, who is a lifetime member of the National Rifle Association and, despite her youth and good looks, is a throwback on animal issues. Having her one heartbeat from the presidency should strike fear into any animal advocate in the nation. The Palin Administration has waged an all-out war on Alaska's predators to artificially boost the populations of moose and caribou for trophy hunters, and has tried to pass legislation making it easier for state officials to gun down wolves and bears from the sky.

Last year, the state offered a $150 bounty as an incentive for pilots and aerial gunners to kill more wolves. And leading up to this week's statewide vote on Measure 2 to stop the aerial shooting of wolves and bears, Palin's Board of Game spent $400,000 of public money on brochures and radio ads to influence the election. She not only took an inhumane and unsporting position at odds with the principles of wildlife management and fair chase, but did it in an undemocratic and underhanded way.
Huff Post

Anchorage daily news
msnbc
Humane Society
AP

Sen. Biden on the other hand:

On the Democratic ticket, Sen. Biden has been a longtime friend of animal welfare in the Senate, and has received high marks year after year on the Humane Scorecard. In the current session of Congress, Sen. Biden co-sponsored measures to stop horse slaughter, upgrade the penalties for animal fighting, ban the possession of fighting dogs and attendance at a dogfight, and call on Canada to stop its annual massacre of baby harp seals. He has consistently signed onto letters requesting increased funds for the enforcement of the Animal Welfare Act, Humane Methods of Slaughter Act, and the federal animal fighting law.

Biden has not only supported animal protection legislation during his career, but has also led the fight on important issues. He was the co-author with Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) in the 108th Congress on legislation to ban the netting of dolphins by commercial tuna fishermen. He was the lead author of a bill in the 107th Congress to prohibit trophy hunting of captive exotic mammals in fenced enclosures, and he successfully passed the bill through the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Huff Post

humane scorecard

[edit on 8/31/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Well, I will say that is all I need to know about HER!!

Aparently this info needs to get out.

In the meantime desparate folks seem to think she will offset the McCain image. He has "Mean, mean, crab,ugly abusive grouch" written all over his face.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Just when things seem like they can't sink any lower (and they probably can't) we are now comparing candidates for VP based on how they treat animals.

Wow....

I'm more concerned with how they treat humans.

Even though a Catholic, Biden thinks it's ok to kill unborn babies. And of course Lord Obama himself said he wouldn't want his children PUNISHED with a baby.

On the other hand, even though Gov. Palin knew her baby would have Down Syndrome, she believed her child's life was sacred and a gift from God.

Maybe Biden should get a bumper sticker that says, "Kill Babies, Keep Kittens! Vote Obama/Biden!"

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Good thread.

Biden wins.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by OhZone
Well, I will say that is all I need to know about HER!!

Aparently this info needs to get out.

Great. While you're helping get this information out on Gov. Palin killing animals, be sure to include the information on Barry O. voting against a bill that would have stopped killing of babies in late-term abortions.

You might help Obama get the vegetarian baby eater vote.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

You can try to derail the thread all you want.
Wildlife management is the ONLY issue on this thread.
And despite your protestations and puffing, it is a MAJOR issue in Alaska and for many many Americans.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

True. No matter how you slice it.

Less desperation please.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
As most know, I am an animal lover as well. Animal welfare is important to me. I don't think animals have the same rights as humans, but I do believe as a part of nature, they should be conserved and treated with respect.

The thought that Sarah Palin supports killing wolves is sickening to me.

I find the wearing of fur repugnant.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   

reply to post by jamie83

You can try to derail the thread all you want.
And despite your protestations and puffing, it is a MAJOR issue in Alaska and for many many Americans.

I am not derailing this thread. Humans are simply a highly evolved species of animal. I read about it all the time here on ATS.

You are concerned with species that run wild in Alaska. I am concerned with my own species first and foremost.

I want my candidates to value the lives of MY species, not necessarily caribou.

Is there something wrong with that?

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Politics is alot like the game of Limbo.

The bar continues to get lower and lower.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SteveR

No desperation.
All I said is that this issue matters to ME. Perhaps next time I should run it by you and Jamie?

I'm personally an active volunteer for both the ASPCA and The Humane Society.
If you don't care fine. Yet it seems you care enough to come over here and say that you don't care.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
It doesn't sound like a 'hunt', but more like a cull to prevent overpopulation and/or damage to the populations of other species. I doubt anyone here is enough of an expert on Alaskan wildlife populations to know if this is necessary or not. I certainly do not, but I have seen situations where it was.

On the other hand, if you feel that it is not justified under any circumstances, that is certainly your right.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83
Humans are simply a highly evolved species of animal. I read about it all the time here on ATS.

That is highly debatable! You have often proven otherwise.

One does not negate the other pumpkin.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Just as a side note, I'm pretty sure Gov. Palin's position on animals is going to be a net gain in votes for the McCain/Palin ticket.

Just a hunch, but I bet those bitter middle-class white folks who cling to their guns in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Michigan are going to be happy that Gov. Palin isn't going to condescendingly ridicule them because they enjoy hunting.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   

That is highly debatable! You have often proven otherwise.

One does not negate the other pumpkin.

Nice comeback! I like it.

No, one does not negate the other. But one can certainly value one over the other.

It's bizarre to me that a person would value the life of a caribou over the life of a human baby who is about to be born alive and well.

If Obama or Biden showed they cared about unborn children as much as they do about animals, I would be impressed.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

Yes, we heard you the first two times you said that, false reasoning and all.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Well jamie, just look at abortion as "cull" to prevent over population of humans. Don't you think that humans and the other animals should have some sort of population balance between them? After all, it is the overpopulation of humans that is a threat to the animals, not the other way around.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   

reply to post by jamie83

Yes, we heard you the first two times you said that, false reasoning and all.

What is the false reasoning?

Please explain.

You raised the issue that the candidates should be judged based on how they treat animals.

I merely agreed with you, except I pointed out that humans are animals too, and I valued humans more than caribou.

Where is the false reasoning?

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   

I find the wearing of fur repugnant.

That's too bad. Fur coats are very warm and comfy. I live in Southern California so while I don't have much occassion to wear the full length fur I was given for my 18th birthday I would guess that Palin has a lot of opportunity to wear her fur accessories!!! Maybe I should plan a trip to Alaska so that I can actually get some use out of mine!

I would rather back Palin who stands up for PEOPLE than back Biden who treats PEOPLE as if they are animals!!

Jemison

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
The false reasoning lies when you bring an unrelated topic to make a point on this topic.

Let me give you an example of this: Republicans are often accused of being hypocritical when they are both pro-life and for capital punishment.

This is also false reasoning. Just like your mention of abortion is here.

All issues, no matter how small or great they are to any individual, deserve the respect of talking to the topic at hand.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join