It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain's pick is.....

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

I wouldnt want to find out, thats for sure!!! Perhaps we ask the husband?

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Palin has done a lot of good for the people of her state. It more than trumps what Obamanation barely did.

According to Wikipedia:

Pre-gubernatorial political experience
Palin served two terms on the Wasilla City Council from 1992 to 1996. In 1996, she challenged and defeated the incumbent mayor, criticizing wasteful spending and high taxes. The ex-mayor and sheriff tried to organize a recall campaign, but failed. Palin kept her campaign promises by reducing her own salary, as well as reducing property taxes by 60%. She ran for reelection against the former mayor in 1999, winning by an even larger margin. Palin was also elected president of the Alaska Conference of Mayors.

Governor Murkowski appointed Palin Ethics Commissioner of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, where she served from 2003 to 2004 until resigning in protest over what she called the "lack of ethics" of fellow Alaskan Republican leaders, who ignored her whistleblowing complaints of legal violations and conflicts of interest. After she resigned, she exposed the state Republican Party's chairman, Randy Ruedrich, one of her fellow Oil & Gas commissioners, who was accused of doing work for the party on public time, and supplying a lobbyist with a sensitive e-mail. Palin filed formal complaints against both Ruedrich and former Alaska Attorney General Gregg Renkes, who both resigned; Ruedrich paid a record $12,000 fine.

Governorship
In 2006, Palin, running on a clean-government campaign, executed an upset victory over then-Gov. Murkowski in the Republican gubernatorial primary. Despite the lack of support from party leaders and being outspent by her Democratic opponent, she went on to win the general election in November 2006, defeating former Governor Tony Knowles. Palin said in 2006 that education, public safety, and transportation would be three cornerstones of her administration.

Highlights of Governor Palin's tenure include a successful push for an ethics bill, and also shelving pork-barrel projects supported by fellow Republicans. After federal funding for the Gravina Island Bridge project that had become a nationwide symbol of wasteful earmark spending was lost, Palin decided against filling the over $200 million gap with state money. "Alaska needs to be self-sufficient, she says, instead of relying heavily on 'federal dollars,' as the state does today."

She has challenged the state's Republican leaders, helping to launch a campaign by Lieutenant Governor Sean Parnell to unseat U.S. Congressman Don Young and publicly challenging Senator Ted Stevens to come clean about the federal investigation into his financial dealings.

In 2007, Palin had an approval rating often in the 90s. A poll published by Hays Research on July 28, 2008 showed Palin's approval rating at 80%.

Energy policies
Palin's tenure is noted for her independence from big oil companies, while still promoting resource development. Palin has announced plans to create a new sub-cabinet group of advisors, to address climate change and reduce greenhouse gas emissions within Alaska.

Shortly after taking office, Palin rescinded thirty-five appointments made by Murkowski in the last hours of his administration, including the appointment by Murkowski of his former chief of staff Jim Clark to the Alaska Natural Gas Development Authority. Clark later pled guilty to conspiring with a defunct oil-field-services company to channel money into Frank Murkowski's re-election campaign.

In response to high oil and gas prices, and in response to the resulting state government budget surplus, Palin proposed giving Alaskans $100-a-month energy debit cards. She also proposed providing grants to electrical utilities so that they would reduce customers' rates. She subsequently dropped the debit card proposal, and in its place she proposed to send Alaskans $1,200 directly and eliminate the gas tax.

Matanuska Maid Dairy closure
When the Alaska Creamery Board recommended closing Matanuska Maid Dairy, an unprofitable state-owned business, Palin objected, citing concern for the impact on dairy farmers and the fact that the dairy had just received $600,000 in state money. When Palin learned that only the Board of Agriculture and Conservation could appoint Creamery Board members, she simply replaced the entire membership of the Board of Agriculture and Conservation. The new board, led by businesswoman Kristan Cole, reversed the decision to close the dairy. The new board approved milk price increases offered by the dairy in an attempt to control fiscal losses, even though milk from Washington was already offered in Alaskan stores at lower prices. In the end, the dairy was forced to close, and the state tried to sell the assets to pay off its debts but received no bids.

Budget
In the first days of her administration, Palin followed through on a campaign promise to sell the Westwind II jet purchased (on a state government credit account) by the Murkowski administration. The state placed the jet for sale on eBay three times. In August 2007, the jet was sold for $2.1 million.

Shortly after becoming governor, Palin canceled a contract for the construction on an 11-mile (18-kilometer) gravel road outside of Juneau to a mine. This reversed a decision made in the closing days or hours of the Murkowski Administration.

In June 2007, Palin signed into law a $6.6 billion operating budget—the largest in Alaska's history. At the same time, she used her veto power to make the second-largest cuts of the construction budget in state history. The $237 million in cuts represented over 300 local projects, and reduced the construction budget to nearly $1.6 billion.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
and Tood Palin mother is a quarter Yu'pik Eskimo,

I need to aid more here, any woman who fishes and hunts is ok in my book.

[edit on 033131p://bFriday2008 by Stormdancer777]

[edit on 033131p://bFriday2008 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719
reply to post by dgtempe

This is what people fail to realize.

Other than each having a female anatomy, she and Hillary have virtually NOTHING in common. I mean zilch, zero. Hillary supporters will not vote for George Bush in a dress, they just wont.

Abortion rights, gay rights, gun control, all crucial topics that they would not see eye to eye on.

exaaaactly! I hate how everyone is assuming that just because she's female that the rest of us with ovaries are going to rush by her side and support her!

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I have to admit that I was shocked that he picked a female and an unknown female to boot, but it took me only about 10 seconds to realize what a brilliant decision this was.

I don't know if it will be enough to win the White House, but aside from the experience issue, this is a woman of substance, who is obviously not one to run with the crowd.

McCain is a genius. I think the coservative base will be solidified, a lot of disaffected independents will be re-energized, and those women who are only interested in having a woman on the ticket will at the very least be given a reason to look at the Republican ticket.

[edit on 2008/8/29 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by shellyhk

Originally posted by BlackOps719
reply to post by dgtempe

This is what people fail to realize.

Other than each having a female anatomy, she and Hillary have virtually NOTHING in common. I mean zilch, zero. Hillary supporters will not vote for George Bush in a dress, they just wont.

Abortion rights, gay rights, gun control, all crucial topics that they would not see eye to eye on.

exaaaactly! I hate how everyone is assuming that just because she's female that the rest of us with ovaries are going to rush by her side and support her!

She isn't just any women, she is pretty awesome, wish she was running.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by shellyhk

Gender feminists won't be swayed, but there are a lot of women who are somewhere between the lunatic left and the moderate right who will be very interested in this ticket.

She's no guarantee of victory, but the Democrat foundation has been shaken.

[edit on 2008/8/29 by GradyPhilpott]

link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

wait, you wish she was running for president? cmon arent we getting a little carried away here?

link   

I already like her better than Mccain!! (but that isnt saying much)

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32

wait, you wish she was running for president? cmon arent we getting a little carried away here?

Well it could happen one day if McCain wins.

But yes i really admire her.

Look at the two we have running?

Like they are a prize?

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   

i would take biden out of all 4. but im a hillary supporter so whatevs

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia

I think I might actually vote for Obama now. I don't want the republicans to win, because if McCain does win it will be another 8 years before we have any chance of getting an actual conservative president, and if McCain loses then we can get another chance in 4 years.

I hear ya. But what are Obama/Biden going to do in four years? How much bigger will the government get? And the deficit? And our taxes? Ugh.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I've grown more and more excited about his pick with every passing second since this morning.

The more I read about Palin and hear her speak, the more I realize what an excellent choice she was.

I was on the fence with McCain before, and said if he didn't pick Romney I would probably not vote. Lately though he has been appealing more and more to the conservative base and this choice for VP shows that even more.

I'm actually excited to vote for this ticket!

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32

i would take biden out of all 4. but im a hillary supporter so whatevs

You like Biden?

I know a lot of Hillary supporters, who are voting McCain,

BTW Palin is a member of Feminists for Life of America ,

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by GirlNextDoor

Originally posted by badmedia

I think I might actually vote for Obama now. I don't want the republicans to win, because if McCain does win it will be another 8 years before we have any chance of getting an actual conservative president, and if McCain loses then we can get another chance in 4 years.

I hear ya. But what are Obama/Biden going to do in four years? How much bigger will the government get? And the deficit? And our taxes? Ugh.

Well under bush it has gotten huge.... the deficit??? we didnt have one under clinton....

taxes... didnt hear anyone complaining during the greatest economical period under clinton the democrat.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
straight from the horses mouth:

It was rightfully noted in Denver this week that Hillary left 18 million cracks in the highest, hardest glass ceiling in America. But it turns out the women of America aren’t finished yet and we can shatter that glass ceiling once and for all!
- VP Palin Source

The only reason she was chosen was to pander to the Hillary crowd.

She brings nothing to the table - period.

She is a woman - she is a lot younger than McCain.

Those are the only two gaps she serves as filling.

Her own words prove that the ONLY reason she was chosen was to pander to the Hillary supporters.

What kind of pre-requisite is that?

Honestly.

It condones the notion: Vote for me BECAUSE I'm a woman.

Its no different than IF obama were to say "vote for me because im black"

Unbelievably stupid hypocrisy from the McCain campaign today.

[edit on 8/29/2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

link   
reply to post by nyk537

I wasn't going to vote, now I am excited, about her, I knew of her but I didn't think McCain had the balls to pick her.

link   

hillary voters who vote mccain are ignorant. borderline stupid. not cause mccain is stupid. but that mccain and palin stand for everything shes not

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

Andrew my post above proves what kind of women she is, let's give her some kudos.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   

on another note... msnbc reports palin smoked marijuana and didnt like it

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join