It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain May Postpone RNC Because Of Hurricane Gustav

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   

McCain May Postpone RNC Because Of Hurricane Gustav

elections.foxnews.com

Mindful of the pitfalls of hosting cocktail parties while Gulf Coast residents are being evacuated, John McCain’s campaign suggested Thursday that Republicans could postpone their upcoming national convention in St. Paul if Tropical Storm Gustav makes landfall over the weekend.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on (8/28/08) by AllSeeingI]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I see the unfortunate political point of being at a Rich-Party party while regular citizens evacuate and secure themselves as best they can.

But with the RNC only a week away, I think it would be a logistical and financial nightmare for all involved to change the schedule at the point. I would hope that people realize that its not anyone at the Convention's job to keep people safe during and after a hurricane. That job falls to FEMA and National Guard and Local authorities.

I think the RNC should go on as planned. I dont think anyone should be able to use this situation as a negative political point.

elections.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Actually I think it would be a brilliant move to delay the party in this case. In fact, I'm not so sure it wouldn't ultimately end up pulling alot more voters onto McCain's side. Imagine the reaction if John McCain & the GOP, instead of partying it up, canceled their celebration and traveled down to the disaster area and filled sandbags, helped distribute aid and relief packages, and just generally spent the time helping where needed. You'd get some who would call the move disingenuous, and it very well might be disingenuous, but it is kinda the response we've been calling for our representatives to show for quite some time now.

Honestly, if I was McCain and Gustav caused destruction, I'd call for a formal teleconference roll call vote, secure the nomination, make a brief speech during a press conference accepting the nomination and covering a handfull of platform issues, introduce my running mate, and then explain that some things take precident over politics as usual and excuse myself to fly straight down to Louisiana to render aid. I guarantee he'd not lose a single vote and would almost certainly open the month of Spetember with a huge swing of polled voters in his favor if he did that.

UNFORTUNATELY, those actions wouldn't provide the corporations & money changers with the direct access to him & the party (or the party & him the direct access to the money changer's pockets) that the convention does. It would be a little more challenging to be wined, dined, and have a stack of money left on the bedside table afterward when you're knee deep in flood waters filling sand bags and trying to save people's homes.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by AllSeeingI

You simply can't postpone a convention of this magnitude. It's absurd to even suggest it.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Washington Post: GOP Considers Delaying Convention

"The threat is serious enough that White House officials are also debating whether President Bush should cancel his scheduled convention appearance on Monday, the first day of the convention, according to administration officials and others familiar with the discussion."

OH I see, its serious now.... feeling GUILTY for Katrina much?

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

If I ever run for office, i'm hiring you!

I agree that if he did something like you laid out then he would truly be known as a man for the people.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Thing is though, McCain isn't in a position to actually help anyone yet.

So he'd be postponing the convention, for what?

It's up to the government at hand to jump in and help out. If THEY don't do something this time, then yeah, you know exactly who to blame.

But the candidates hold no power yet, their former positions are on hold during this election, so what could they possibly do to help... unless they plan on donating portions of their wealth to the relief effort... but you know thats not going to happen.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:33 AM
link   
RawStory: Will McCain turn RNC into telethon for hurricane victims?

"A top aide in the McCain campaign said officials may turn the Republican National Convention into a service event to aid possible victims of a hurricane headed towards the Gulf Coast"

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Hardly! let the Van Halen rock!

Just like not letting terrorists win, we cannot let the hurricane impede the political process of letting DIEBOLD do its job. We need a guitar photo-op, which is always the best use of time when people are dying:

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Politico: Storm scrambles GOP convention

"President Bush is unlikely to make it to the Republican National Convention, and Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) may deliver his acceptance speech via satellite because of the historically huge hurricane threatening New Orleans, top officials said"

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
How convenient for the GOP. Lets cancel or postpone most of the key events of the RNC for a week, then most of the working class protestors will have had to go home. Ron Paul’s freedom rally will be over, and we have made such a great sacrifice for the poor people affected by the storm. I gotta hand it to these guys their think tank is in high gear. Imagine turning a natural disaster into a publicity stunt.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
Actually I think it would be a brilliant move to delay the party in this case. In fact, I'm not so sure it wouldn't ultimately end up pulling alot more voters onto McCain's side. Imagine the reaction if John McCain & the GOP, instead of partying it up, canceled their celebration and traveled down to the disaster area and filled sandbags, helped distribute aid and relief packages, and just generally spent the time helping where needed. You'd get some who would call the move disingenuous, and it very well might be disingenuous, but it is kinda the response we've been calling for our representatives to show for quite some time now.

Yeah, actually working for votes...is the camera ready? It is amazing the lack of regard of human life that is transparent when they try to act like they have a regard for human life.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Gustav is a Godsend for the Republicans. I just find it freaky that a hurricane rolls into New Orleans on the first day of their convention.

George Bush doesn't have to attend so no photo-ops or sharing the stage with McCain. They can rally the troops and look like saviours who actually care, and this time they are probably actually prepared.

There is something wrong with this picture. Hurricanes cannot be scripted but this one sure appears to be.

top topics

join