It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia long-range missile test a success

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Russia long-range missile test a success

news.yahoo.com

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia successfully tested a long-range Topol missile designed to avoid detection by anti-missile defence systems from its Plesetsk launch site, a Russian military spokesman said on Thursday.

"The launch was specially tasked to test the missile's capability to avoid ground-based detection systems," said Colonel Alexander Vovk of the Russian Strategic Rocket Forces.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I understand that countries test their missiles as a way to shake their fists at other countries, but, I think the capabilities of this missile they just tested just made everyone a bit too uncomfortable. Considering they waited until after Asia voiced their backing.....this seems more like a "game on" statement.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 28-8-2008 by mrsdudara]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Interesting...

I wonder havent they rather shot themselves in the foot with this test?

Russia loves to moan and talk tough about the US missile shield, particularly the upcoming Poland installation.

If they have now openly claimed a missile breakthrough which can avoid the shield, then logically speaking they shouldnt have any issues remaining against the US shield.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
Interesting...

Russia loves to moan and talk tough about the US missile shield, particularly the upcoming Poland installation.

If they have now openly claimed a missile breakthrough which can avoid the shield, then logically speaking they shouldnt have any issues remaining against the US shield.

Very true, and considering the fact that America will only have around 10 anti-missile devices compared to the thousands of nuclear weapons that Russia has, does loosing 10 warheads really matter that much when they can just launch a few hundred?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by twisted_fate

Interesting...

Very true, and considering the fact that America will only have around 10 anti-missile devices compared to the thousands of nuclear weapons that Russia has, does loosing 10 warheads really matter that much when they can just launch a few hundred?

And then the retaliatory strike would literally wipe russia from the world map.America would survive.Russia would not.Since they have a missile that can elude the anti-missile system,the batteries on poland are a non-issue so Russia can stick a sock in it.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Justice11

you living in a dream world?
both Russia and the United states would be glowing bright green

no way in hell the US would survive a bombardment of nukes from Russia
just like vice versa on Russia

even if one did survive you would have radiation poisening and then your looking at the economic breakdown from the nukes on the infrontstructure.

joker america would survive,

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Justice11

Originally posted by twisted_fate

Interesting...

And then the retaliatory strike would literally wipe russia from the world map.America would survive.Russia would not.Since they have a missile that can elude the anti-missile system,the batteries on poland are a non-issue so Russia can stick a sock in it.

Russia is twice the size of North America and has a better civil defence plan than America when it comes to nukes,they also have bigger strategic nukes than america...anyway...not likely to happen....not nice thinking about consequences if it did either..

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Lethil

Size doesn't matter when nukes are involved. Theres enough nukes to hit Russia 10 times over. When the ashes are cleared and there is the possibility a few Russians alive, the Chinese will come in and help repopulate the country and call it New China.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
reply to post by Lethil

the Chinese will come in and help repopulate the country and call it New China.

That one cracked me up!

But i thought you can't repopulate radiation effected areas for atleast a coupla hundred years?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Attari

The Japanese seem to have done it well with Nagasaki and Hiroshima.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Another step up the ladder towards destruction.

Anyone ever see the movie "The Day After". It is a story about nuclear tensions between the US and Russia exploding into all out nuclear holocaust. I believe the spark that sets off this movie’s doomsday scenario is very similar to what we have going on now in Georgia.

If things countinue to mirror the plot and events of that film.... the nukes will start flying one by one or tit for tat against military forces in the region of conflict. Followed by Russian nuclear strikes against NATO bases followed by all out shoot em or lose em mentality where both sides fire all nukes.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllSeeingI
Another step up the ladder towards destruction.

Anyone ever see the movie "The Day After". It is a story about nuclear tensions between the US and Russia exploding into all out nuclear holocaust. I believe the spark that sets off this movie’s doomsday scenario is very similar to what we have going on now in Georgia.

If things countinue to mirror the plot and events of that film.... the nukes will start flying one by one or tit for tat against military forces in the region of conflict. Followed by Russian nuclear strikes against NATO bases followed by all out shoot em or lose em mentality where both sides fire all nukes.

Movies like that and "Threads" have been on my mind since this thing with Russia started...hopefully it won't end the same way.

those movies scared me when I was younger, and now they terrify me, because i'm older and I know how real it could be.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
And in other news...

Trident II D5 Missile Achieves 124 Successful Test Launch

Sunnyvale CA (SPX) Aug 28, 2008

The U.S. Navy has conducted a successful test launch of two Trident II D5 Fleet Ballistic Missiles (FBMs) built by Lockheed Martin. The Navy launched the unarmed missiles from the submerged submarine USS Louisiana (SSBN 743) in thePacific Ocean.

The Trident II D5 missile now has achieved 124 consecutive successful test launches since 1989 - a record unmatched by any other large ballistic missile or space launch vehicle.

First deployed in 1990, the D5 missile is currently aboard OHIO-class submarines and British VANGUARD-class submarines. The three-stage, solid-propellant, inertial-guided ballistic missile can travel a nominal range of 4,000 nautical miles and carries multiple independently targeted reentry vehicles.

Source

Just another day at the office for both sides, nothing to get excited over.

[edit on 28-8-2008 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
This test might have been a warning shot, not jsut at the West but at the East as well. According this CNN article Russia did NOT get the backing of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization. The SCO issued a statement saying they hoped any other issue in the region would be settled peacefully. That doe not sound like a full throated backing of Russia by any means.

Obs out

edited stooopid typos

[edit on 28-8-2008 by observer]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I just have one short question: At what point do our governments and media finally just acknowledge that the Cold War is back on?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
It's a giant peeing contest is all it is. Flexing to try and see who has the bigger cajones.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by mattifikation

They did today in Switzerland, however, only in one little newspaper. But it's official none the less.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
The Russians are proud of there little missile test.
But in reality they have no clue exactly WHAT detection systems we have hahaha

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Interestinggg

Really? And you know this, how?

Russian espionage against the West is apparently much more widespread than it it ever was in the Cold War. This has been reported on repeatedly in the UK press for some time.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Well at least they can melt enough Fanta cans down to build a rocket. Now just give them another 50 years and they will have a NAVY again

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join