It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop the auto refreshing!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I noticed it started sometime this year and it's really quite annoying to be honest, i know the likely reason ATS is doing it but that doesn't make it right or acceptable, i disable java script when possible just because of the cheek of it, its time it stopped, i thought ATS was better than that?

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by just theory

Auto refreshing of which page are you talking about?

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Any page does it as far as i can tell, though i don't think its a full page refresh as such but watch the browser activity to see, it happens every so often.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   

I haven't noticed it to be quite honest.
I've actually been asking for a refresh "option" on the "recent posts" page like this one.(bottom right of page)
I think it would be a handy option so that the page refreshes as you're working on other things on the computer. But you should have the option to turn it off.

[edit on 8/27/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
ATS doesn't auto-refresh for me. You should check your browser options or something before you blast off on the web site.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Like i said its not a full page refresh, go to the main page or any part of the forum, watch the bottom left of the browser and let us know if anything happens within a few minutes, if nothing does for anyone else then sure its my setup.

Edit: actually i don't see how it can be my setup as no other site does it but anyway everyone try it and see, thanks.

[edit on 27/8/08 by just theory]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   

hmmm, ATS doesnt auto refresh for me. It never has either.Infact this is the first ive heard anyone say that ATS was auto refreshing for them.

Mabye send a u2u to a mod? they might know the answer.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by just theory
Like i said its not a full page refresh, go to the main page or any part of the forum, watch the bottom left of the browser and let us know if anything happens within a few minutes
[edit on 27/8/08 by just theory]

There are two things I could possibly think of that could be causing this.

You could be highlighting links with the mouse, which in most browsers will flash the address of the particular link in the bottom left corner.

Also, it could be ads loading/reloading, although I have never noticed that before, and looking at the main page now I don't notice it.

As other posters have said, you may want to adjust some of your internet options. Also, it would be a good idea to run a full virus/spyware scan, as that could also be the root of the problem.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I get this too - also it causes havoc when trying to use the backspace button when navigating.

(Running Firefox on XP)

the phantomlurker

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I think it could be trying to get and update the ads then.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I dont have auto refresh, I really think it's your browser.
I don't know how to fix it though. Sorry.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I'm noticing this too. I was using Netscape and saw on the bottom left it showed it reloading. Since I crashed my pc, I'm now using my old one with Firefox as a browser. I haven't been on enough to notice it today, but I'll pay attention and see if it's happening on this pc with Firefox.

One thing I wanted to add was two days ago, out of nowhere I am hearing music. I close every window except ats. I find out it's one of the ads on ats.

[edit on 27-8-2008 by virraszto]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
It refreshes just as the OP states everytime I am LOGGED OUT of ATS.

When I log in....the refreshing continues but not nearly as bad.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Only think I see is when my mouse passes over some ads they will reload... that shows in the lower left along with link data

But it would be nice if the page refreshed while it was in the background

I don't see why this is an issue
Don't you refresh the page anyway to see the last post?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   
what the heck do you claim is underoing `page refresh` ?

i leave pages open for hours even days - and they NEVER referesh for me

a cast iron example is the ` reply to thread ` window - sometimes it takes me several hours to complete a reply - and if the page was refreshed at any time - i would loose the partial reply

it has never happened

i do not mean to seem rude - but do you actually understand the difference between pages and the scripts embeded in them ?

scripts can display different content - as they are pre loaded with the page

but the page does not refresh or change

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Yes like i said its probably ads refreshing, I don't know about everyone else but I find that a bit cheeky to be honest, its fine when I click to change pages but don't refresh the ads in the background please, if that's the case, if not then fine but it would be nice to know exactly what's causing it as this is the only site I've seen it happen.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
the auto refreshing I have seen has been on Mac OS X - Safari.
The page itself does not refresh - its the ad at the top of the page that makes the browser update.

Its done this since I can remember....well for a while anyway.

Peace

dAlen

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2 >>

join