It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Taking a Big Risk

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Obama deserves to be the nominee. He beat Hillary fair and square period.
I will give the man his dues for doing so.

That being said I can't understand why Obama would take such a big risk and allow Bill to speak at the convention.

Everybody knows that they don't really care for each other and I don't think Obama can control Bill.

Here is Bill's recent swipe at Obama

Suppose for example you're a voter. And you've got candidate X and candidate Y. Candidate X agrees with you on everything, but you don't think that person can deliver on anything. Candidate Y disagrees with you on half the issues, but you believe that on the other half, the candidate will be able to deliver. For whom would you vote?"

source

I can see him controlling Hillary because she needs to get out of debt. But Bill could really ruin this for Obama.

Why do you think Obama is taking such a risk by allowing Bill to speak at the convention ?

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
After this quote he says something like, "Of course, this has nothing to do with current events". That guy is so full of himself he thinks hes fooling people.

lol!

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

He has little choice. If he didn't give them the opportunity to speak, it would further enrage Hillary's supporters.

That said, Obama seems to be counting upon Bill and Hillary to win over those same supporters for him. That's not going to work. If Obama wants their support, he's going to have to win it himself. To this point, he's made little attempt to do so. In fact, his campaign and his supporters seem to have gone to great lengths to further alienate them.

But who knows, maybe they'll just 'get over it', as Obama believes they should.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

That is along my same thought. He doesn't need Bill to win them over. he has to earn their votes.

Bill is just making it harder to do that because he is constantly trying to make it seem that Obama can't win. Then he follows up by saying he didn't mean it that way..etc..

Obama has Hillary bent over a barrel because she is in debt. Her supporters voted for her not Bill. Give the due respect to Hillary and you could probably earn those votes without Bill.

Bill is out for revenge if you ask me.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
That was a stupid thing for Bill to say and just adds to the perception that something isn't right between them. If I was Obama, I would cancel Bill's speech because yes, it's too much of a risk. Obama doesn't owe Bill anything. And Bill is certainly not going to help Obama get votes. Not saying stupid things like that.

I say cancel Bill's speech.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Hillarys face is burdened and angry. The voters can see she is only mouthing words to be compliant. Her eyes are the window to her souls and we can see she does not believe Obama can lead.

On the other hand the choice of Biden shows Obama does not himself believe he has the experience and needs an old timer to back him up. The wise choice would have been hillary for a slam dunk.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Bill is out for revenge if you ask me.

No doubt about it! I think Bill is royally PO'ed at BO, and one way or another, the Clintons will find a way to undermine Obama this week. That statement you posted from today is just the start (and there's no telling what they're saying to the delegates behind the scenes). But they won't go after Obama directly in their speeches.

If I had to guess, Bill and Hillary will absolutely rip the Bush administration and McCain's campaign to shreds during their speeches. Note that Obama wants them to talk more about him than the Republicans! If they do what I think they will, it'll make Hillary look like a stronger, more assertive candidate to face McCain in the fall than Obama, thereby planting a few more seeds of doubt in the minds of the delegates and the voters.

[edit on 26-8-2008 by vor78]

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I don't know that Obama beat Hillary fair and square. She won both the Florida and Michigan delegates, but her own party made lame exucuses for those not to count.

She also won the popular vote.

I don't believe Bill Clinton likes Obama. While Bill is a dirty politician, Obama is even worse and did some pretty bad things to Hillary. Bill knows this.

If someone screwed your wife over and rubbed it in her face in different, yet obscure ways, would you like the person that did this? I doubt it.

Don't forget, Obama has connections to some magazine that said Bill Clinton was racist. Bill believed it was invoked by the Obama camp, through proxy of course.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
It's a big risk, IMO, to let either Bill or Hilary speak tonight - but like another poster said, Obama has little choice if he wants to win over Hilary's voters.

I give Hilary a 50/50 chance of pulling something incredibly sneaky and underhanded tonight. You know what they say - Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. If she does pull something, I'll bet you anything she announces plans to run as an independent.

Bill - I imagine he will be slightly drunk when he gives his speech and says something stupid, as usual.

[edit on 26-8-2008 by sos37]

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

You make some good points, but Obama won according to the way the DNC plays the game.

Yes I would be mad if someone did this to my wife. But is he really angry about that or what was done to him. I would have got revenge by going third party. I wouldn't try to destroy my party's chance to win if I believed in my party.

I must say everybody is being very courteous on this thread. I applaud everybody.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
reply to post by jetxnet

You make some good points, but Obama won according to the way the DNC plays the game.

Actually, he hasn't won, YET.

The delegates will cast their votes at the election, right? And in a representative democracy, delegates can always vote against their constituents (except for a caucus' area). They did it for Nixon in '68 on the Rep side; I think the dem delegates did it for Mondale because he called in favors. He wound up only carrying his own state in 1984.

It HAS happened before, that the party chooses the minority over the desires of the majority.

If it was gonna happen in a major way in modern history, I expect it from the Clintons.

*off to check my intrade account*

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
dr_strangecraft, You are correct. He hasn't won anything yet. But being realistic Hillary has a very slim chance of pulling it off.

But then again we are talkin about the Clinton's.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I have always believed and even more so now, that Hillary is a disgrace to all women. She was in the position to leave that sorry, cheating husband, be an example for all abused women, yet chose to stay,to advance her political career. And now tonight, (excuse me while I barf) acting like the spoiled brat she is, whinning and kicking her way into the convention. Gee...that looks great for all women. The fact is, Bill is the reason nobody in their right mind would consider her as a running mate. They are a package deal and both could care less about those of us that struggle day to day. The two of them are still thinking that Hitlary will get the job as president. Sick, sick people. Crybabies too!

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Bill just can't seem to quit making news....

Hillary Clinton will be on hand for Barack Obama's acceptance speech, but according to a source close to former President Bill Clinton, he will not: the source tells CNN that Clinton will not join his wife at Invesco Field Thursday night.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

source

This convention is playing out like a daytime soap opera.

top topics

join