It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please help me identify this craft.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
All day today this really big jet has been flying low over my house. I believe it is some sort of military below radar training exercise. They fly over every year and this year I happened to get a picture. I'm curious to know what kind of airplane it is and if anyone knows anything more about any exercises going on around Cumberland, MD.

Note: Image has been rotated 90 degrees and cropped to cut out some of the extra sky. I couldn't figure out how to get it on there any other way. To look at the original click below:

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunson
All day today this really big jet has been flying low over my house. I believe it is some sort of military below radar training exercise. They fly over every year and this year I happened to get a picture. I'm curious to know what kind of airplane it is and if anyone knows anything more about any exercises going on around Cumberland, MD.

Note: Image has been rotated 90 degrees and cropped to cut out some of the extra sky. I couldn't figure out how to get it on there any other way. To look at the original click below:

Looks to me like a russian cargo plane the Ilyushin Il-76 i mabe wrong but it does look similar, ill try and dig up some photos

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Its a USAF C-17.

Look, you can even see big black USAF on the under side of the wing.

Nice, and they practise flying low and fast at times for operations over denied / unfriendly territory.

You should see their emergency landing steep descent training... thats hairy scary!

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

Thanks. They nearly gave me a heart attack this morning flying over my house. I saw one fly just a couple hundred feet or so over the field right below my house. It was amazing.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunson
reply to post by Dan Tanna

Thanks. They nearly gave me a heart attack this morning flying over my house. I saw one fly just a couple hundred feet or so over the field right below my house. It was amazing.

Yes and I think ill go to specksavers tommorow to get my eyes checked

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I concur, it's a C-17.

I live near Wright-Patterson AFB, and there is a maintenance wing located here that works on the 17. There are actually 6 or so airframes on base at all times. I have them flying over my house all the time. Fortunately all the flying stops at dusk (usually.)

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Yep its a C17. I've jumped out of one before. You can do one hell of a mass drop out of one. Fits over a hundred dudes and they can all be out in less than a minute. Or if you want to get real crazy, it can drop 8 (I think) HMMWVs or 105mm Howitzers.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Can anyone else see the similarity between this aircraft and the 911 images that show the ´pods´ on the aircraft´s fuselage?

In the 911 footage, one of the things that particularly struck me was that the ´pods´ were not symmetrical. One was longer than the other.

Could there be any connection?
What are the pods for on a C-17?

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Psychopump

i agree, remind me to show you the pics taken in northern Quebec of large planes with pods underneath.

snoopyuk

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
The pods on the C-17 are the wheel housigns, that way they save internal space for the stuff that matters, i.e. boots for the ground or armour and guns.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunson

what state do you live in and how low was this cargo plane? i had a hugh cargo plane just above the tree tops in ellijay, georgia at exactly 11 pm in 2004.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by musselwhite

I live in the eastern panhandle of West Virgina, in Fort Ashby to be exact. It's fairly close to Cumberland, MD which would be easier to find on a map. They were flying very low and I've heard from neighbors that it is a below radar training mission or something of the sort. They've done it every year that I've lived in Fort Ashby since 1999. I don't think they are doing anything sinister, but it is very interesting none the less. Sometimes I worry that they may smash into my house though....

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by musselwhite
reply to post by Bunson

what state do you live in and how low was this cargo plane? i had a hugh cargo plane just above the tree tops in ellijay, georgia at exactly 11 pm in 2004.

a cargo plane flew over your house in 2004??

Oh. my. god.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Psychopump

They were symetrical they were just at an angle to the camera. Those "pods" serve the same function on the C-17 as they do on the 767/757. On the 757/767 they're where the wing box meets the fuselage, and make room for the landing gear, to save space. On the C-17 they do the same thing, and give more room for the landing gear, and assorted equipment.

new topics

top topics

join