It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ICE raid confirmed at Howard Industries

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
I agree, going after employers who hire illegals is the best way to put the brakes on illegal immigration, and the best way to fight illegal immigration's impact on the bottom rungs of the labor market here.

I'm not sufficiently hysterical about illegal immigration for some people, I know, I don't buy this BS that they're all a bunch of dangerous criminals. But they do hurt the most vulnerable Americans, the people who have the hardest time finding work, whether they mean to or not.

If a damn meat packing plant can't find enough workers who are citizens, perhaps they need to actually pay a living wage... I know actually paying your workers cuts into the profits and all, cry me a river, crooks

Well, not all, but, here in L.A., illegals are the main muscle of latino gangs, which are quite prevalent. drug-smuggling and illegal immigration go hand in hand here, and in Texas/AZ as well. So, there is a major crime element amongst those illegals who really are searching for a better life. Kind of a trojan horse.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

The HOWARD plant is only two blocks from a major chicken processing plant. When the Illegals who work at the chicken plant found out about the raid, 500 of them didn't show up for work.

By the way, the number being reported to the media is LOW (350) there were over 400 arrests of adult males. All the illegal female workers were released for "humanitarian" reasons. There were well over 100 females released.

The Howards may be nice and all but they were seriously exploiting the cheap labor; which isn't so nice.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I have also worked for Howard, thier pay was very low even for the skilled labor, but what bothers me is the people who give sympathy for the workers. They are here at thier own risk, yeah it is sad that a childs parent are being detained but its the same thing for every pearson that commits a crime. In the New York Times the Mississippi Immigrants Rights Alliance said that it is not right and it is aginst thier rights. I ask what rights, if they are not Americans or have a permit to work here than they dont have the any rights.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
The release so far is that yes they took in over 350 people detained to be processed and returned to Mexico. Also, all of the Mexican restaurants in the town closed, reasons currently unknown. Was it fear? or perhaps protest? So far, I havent heard any reports on that aspect.
Activists are, of course, really blasting this and saying that they are infringing on their rights. However, like was said, if they are illegally here, then they dont have any citizen rights to be infringed on. One of the bullet points is that they are "tearing families apart".
They are not taking in the pregnant or nursing mothers, they are not taking away those that are caring for elderly family members, they are not taking away children. What they are taking away are those that will probably be right back here in about a week from the time their feet hit Mexican soil.
Also, it seems that the race card is being slammed down like it was the only card in the deck. Activists, the very people who are protesting this seizure, are calling this as a raid on Hispanics, when it is in fact not. Every person who is legal to work/live in the US has not been harassed, beyond the fact that they were asked to prove their status.

The legal fallout from this is currently undisclosed, at least to the point that I have found. But, as it unfolds, we shall see what is done. Beyond fines and inspections, if they really go after the Howards and their company over this, businesses everywhere should start quaking and then get to work verifying their employee's status. If they will go after a multi-billion dollar, global company, the rest of you do-no-gooders better be aware.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

big wasteful government indeed...

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Another source for the story:news.yahoo.com...

Howard Industries is in Mississippi's Pine Belt region, known for commercial timber growth and chicken processing plants. The tech company produces dozens of products ranging from electrical transformers to medical supplies, according to its Web site.

Gonzalez said agents had executed search warrants at both the plant and the company headquarters in nearby Ellisville. She said no company executives had been detained, but this is an "ongoing investigation and yesterday's action was just the first part."

A woman at the Ellisville headquarters told The Associated Press on Tuesday that no one was available to answer questions.

In a statement to the Laurel Leader-Call newspaper, Howard Industries said the company "runs every check allowed to ascertain the immigration status of all applicants for its jobs."

"It is company policy that it hires only U.S. citizens and legal immigrants," the statement said.

Gov. Haley Barbour recently signed a law requiring Mississippi employers to use a U.S. Homeland Security system to check new workers' immigration status.

The law took effect July 1 for businesses with state contracts and takes effect Jan. 1 for other businesses. Mississippi lawmakers once used laptops made by Howard Industries, but it's not clear whether the company has current state contracts.

Under the law, a company found guilty of employing illegal immigrants could lose public contracts for three years and the right to do business in Mississippi for one year.

The law also makes it a felony for an illegal immigrant to accept a job in Mississippi. A message was left with the district attorney's office after hours seeking comment on whether he would use the law to bring state charges against Howard Industries or the workers.

IMHO this a start, but Howard should be the target also. And it began about 12 years later than it should have.

Much as I may sympathize with the family aspect of wanting to live and work in the USA, it is not that difficult to do it legally and enjoy full citizenship rights.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I agree with most everything being said, but the children who come home and not know where their dad's are is so sad. They love their parents just as much as american children do. I am not going to say i am against this because I do think they got what they deserve, they did take a risk when they came over here, and i'm sure they will be back in a week. I have heard that when they were getting arrested that the american employee's were clapping and cheering them on. But like I said before they got what they deserve I'm sure there will be 300 less mexicans in wal-mart this sunday...

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
VoteMout: Reagan legalized about a million in 1986 said that would be the only time, and employers would be arrested if they hired illegal aliens. The kids who have been born on OUR LAND are not citizens of this country. Their parents sneaked into this country in the dead on night. They are just trying to make SOME STUPID PEOPLE FEEL SORRY FOR THEM. They know they are breaking our laws. Make the employers pay for their deportation. and pay all the back s.s. wages, unemployment insurance. Shut them down, take their houses, cars, boats, etc. Give the business to some other people.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by wheresthetruth

The restraunts are apparently closed for "plumming problems," somehow i really don't think people will buy that. As if we are ignorant? And wal-mart has been a pleasant trip since the bust. lol. But yes i think it was about time that ICE did something about that. If you go a few streets down in laurel from Howards you will find trailer after trailer of these people living together. I just don't know how it took so long for them to realize that all these people were illegal.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

One of these guys used my husbands identity to work at Howard Ind. for almost 2 years and everything we have now is messed up.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by wheresthetruth

ICE raid confirmed at Howard Industries

www.hattiesburgamerican.com

At the Howard Industries plant, people who identified themselves as Howard employees, were coming out of the building. They said that so many illegal immigrants were being arrested that the plant had to be shut down because there were not enough workers to run the plant.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.wlbt.com
www.clarionledger.com

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by wheresthetruth

the reason while illegals are flocking here is because we have alot of people running illegal stuff around here.since i was small iwas afflicted by it .

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
he orderd my mothers death over money .thats what crooks do.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join