It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Tennessee County wants to ban gays

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by keeb333

Originally posted by blackbox

Originally posted by MacMerdin
Do they have a law in the books about beastiality? If they do, why aren't all those good ole Tennessee boys in jail? No offense anyone from Tennessee.

How is that not offensive to people in Tennessee?

That's like saying, "No offense, but you're stupid"... or "No offense, but I just threw up a little in my mouth when I saw your face"....

I'm sure you get my point.

[edit on 7/3/2008 by blackbox]

Dude, if you had to live around these people, you would understand. The educated of us are not offended by these statements, because we've seen exactly what kind of inbred morons are running around the hills here. (Or on our city councils, etc.)

Oh, I do understand. I just don't see the point in broad generalizations. The only thing they do is serve to propegate ignorance. As a wise person once said here on ATS - "Be the change you wish to see".

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   

San Francisco, CA. The city Board of Supervisors unanimously voted to ask state lawmakers to introduce legislation amending California's criminal code so the county can charge Rhea County, TN commissioners with crimes against nature.

"We need to keep them out of here," said Mayor Gavin Newsom, who introduced the motion.

[edit on 19-8-2008 by SaviorComplex]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Guys, this is TENNESSEE one of the dumbest parts of the country. Do you expect anything else?

Banning gays is agreed upon by many of the worlds foremost experts on the matter:

Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, Chairman Mao...And so forth and so on. How can all these tyrants be wrong? Oh yeah, we fought against this....Kinda sets a precedent doesn't it?

[edit on 19-8-2008 by projectvxn]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Assume much? Stupidest part of the nation eh?

Rhea county is a ways away from Nashville...

Nashville is known as the Athens of the South for justifiable reasons. Middle Tennessee has more colleges than any other southern state. The areas surrounding Rhea County are highly intelligent. The only answer to why this is happening in Rhea county is that all those drop outs from UTC and UTK had to settle somewhere... It seems to be a long running trend of that place being Rhea county.

there are a LOT of idiots in charge in Tennessee, which is really sad, because the average Tennessean is fairly intelligent. The problem there lies with that people in Tennessee have a tendency to vote with their hearts and not their heads. Which leads us down the road of corrupt or "just plain stupid" leadership.

Trust me... Not everyone in Tennessee agrees with this. A majority of Tennesseans don't agree with this. The problem is a bunch of dumb people in Rhea county agree with this. Some may not be so dumb... Just overtly religious; but thats a different thread.

I'm not trying to come into this thread and act like we're the brightest flame in the fire; but most Tennesseans don't agree with this. Which is why it's been ongoing for 4 years. Nobody here wants to acknowledge this request, but state law requires the legislation to consider any vote brought forward thorough the legal processes within the state.

I would be very interested in hearing what someone from Rhea county thinks about this, preferably not a county spokesperson.

Proud (semi-intelligent
) Tennessean,

Coven

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by coven

I realize this. Really I've read about Tennessee's education system. 80 percent graduation rate from many high schools around the state. Perhaps I should have been more clear in what I mean.

Tennessee, along with Alabama, Texas, Florida, Kentucky, Kansas, Georgia, West Virginia, and Ohio are ruled by some of the dumbest people in the nation. Where such hateful measures are not only introduced, but widely voted on as necessary laws that do nothing short of erode the right of people they don't like. There's a history of it. Blacks, hispanics, Irish, and now gays.

I refer to this being part of the dumbest area of the nation because stupid crap like this seems to always pop up from that part of the country...Hmmm. Kinda makes you wonder.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   

You forgot Mississippi, Louisiana, and Arkansas! LOL!

(added to avoid one-liner tax
)

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by keeb333

You forgot Mississippi, Louisiana, and Arkansas! LOL!

(added to avoid one-liner tax
)

Oh you're right...

I'll try harder next time.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by coven

Couldn't have said it better myself...

So I won't try

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by coven

Assume much? Stupidest part of the nation eh?

Rhea county is a ways away from Nashville...

Nashville is known as the Athens of the South for justifiable reasons. Middle Tennessee has more colleges than any other southern state. The areas surrounding Rhea County are highly intelligent. The only answer to why this is happening in Rhea county is that all those drop outs from UTC and UTK had to settle somewhere... It seems to be a long running trend of that place being Rhea county.

there are a LOT of idiots in charge in Tennessee, which is really sad, because the average Tennessean is fairly intelligent. The problem there lies with that people in Tennessee have a tendency to vote with their hearts and not their heads. Which leads us down the road of corrupt or "just plain stupid" leadership.

Trust me... Not everyone in Tennessee agrees with this. A majority of Tennesseans don't agree with this. The problem is a bunch of dumb people in Rhea county agree with this. Some may not be so dumb... Just overtly religious; but thats a different thread.

I'm not trying to come into this thread and act like we're the brightest flame in the fire; but most Tennesseans don't agree with this. Which is why it's been ongoing for 4 years. Nobody here wants to acknowledge this request, but state law requires the legislation to consider any vote brought forward thorough the legal processes within the state.

I would be very interested in hearing what someone from Rhea county thinks about this, preferably not a county spokesperson.

Proud (semi-intelligent
) Tennessean,

Coven

Wait, isn't Athens Georgia the Athens of the south?

Personally I know for a fact that not all of TN is like this. Any state that can have Graceland can't be all bad!

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Tennessee, along with Alabama, Texas, Florida, Kentucky, Kansas, Georgia, West Virginia, and Ohio are ruled by some of the dumbest people in the nation. Where such hateful measures are not only introduced, but widely voted on as necessary laws that do nothing short of erode the right of people they don't like. There's a history of it. Blacks, hispanics, Irish, and now gays.

I refer to this being part of the dumbest area of the nation because stupid crap like this seems to always pop up from that part of the country...Hmmm. Kinda makes you wonder.

Well, I was going to stay out of this one, but since you mentioned my home state...

Firstly, the states you mentioned do not have a lock on doing stupid things. Let's see what we can find from Nevada... ooh, look, from Reno...

Sec. 8.14.040. Sale of sexual paraphernalia.

It shall be unlawful for any person to sell, offer to sell or display for sale any device, including but not limited to dildos and artificial vaginae, designed or marketed as useful primarily for the stimulation of human genital organs.

(Ord. No. 2805, � 1 (11.12.157), 2-11-80)

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

From www.dumblaws.com...

Now, to the content of this thread (since I am already in it)...

Yes, this is stupid. It is also unconstitutional and even if it were to pass in rhea County, it would be unenforceable and struck down by a higher authority at the first challenge.

It is also stupid to egg this sort of thing on. When people do stupid things, sometimes it is better to allow them to flaunt their stupidity than to drop to their level. I held the same attitude when Bush started crying about gay marriage and asking for an amendment. It wasn't going to happen, and it's not going to happen. And if it should somehow enter the realm of possibility, I would be as much against it as anyone. And that promise is from someone who is so heterosexual it can get embarrassing.

This is a political backlash from the big arguments pro and con gay marriage that are spreading across the media outlets from coast to coast. In a recent ruling in CA, a lone judge overruled the vote by a majority of the people. Regardless of whether or not he did the right thing, he opened the door for this backlash.

You simply cannot force drastic change on a free people. We tried that back in the Civil War, and as a direct result we have racism still today. There are ways to bring about change, but force (whether legal or physical) is not the best method. Education is far more effective.

People will respond to logic and reason, although it may take a bit longer. But in the end, the change will be complete and absolute. At the risk of burning in the flames of an ATS hell, I will demonstrate this with my own personal experiences through 4 generations, on the subject of racism:

My grandparents' generation honestly thought black people were somehow inferior. There was no hatred, just a simple acknowledgment that they weren't as smart as 'white folks'.

My parents' generation denied this ignorance, but held that blacks and whites were still 'different' and shouldn't be together. They felt that, while it was fine to have a black friend, and while there was nothing really 'wrong' with blacks, inviting them to your house was just something that 'wasn't done'.

In my generation, those I associate with have the impression that there is no real difference other than 'culture'. So it's great to have friends regardless of color, invite them over, go to dinner together, etc. But, there's still this nagging idea that the cultural differences mean marriage or dating shouldn't happen between the races.

I am proud to say my children are completely color-blind. They apparently make no judgments whatsoever based on skin color.

So there you have it: in 4 generations we have gone from blatant racist discrimination to complete acceptance. And that acceptance is complete; it will not return (unless reintroduced by someone with an agenda). The discriminatory attitudes towards gays can be the same way, gone within a matter of a few generations. but something has to happen for that to occur.

The parades of gay men down Main Street in Sometown, wearing women's lingerie has to stop.

The practice of pedophilia by some people who are also openly gay has to stop, or at least be denigrated by every single gay person who has a voice to use.

Sarcasm and denigration of heterosexuals (yes, it happens, although it is openly dismissed and nowhere near as prevalent as that done to gays. This thread is full of examples) must not occur. You do not make friends by bashing others.

The force of legal trickery has to stop. It's one thing to fight against an attempt to remove rights (as this article is about), but it is another to try and force an issue with the power of law (like the CA judge I mentioned).

People must be educated to the fact that most gays are not what you see on the news. They are not pedophiles, and simply want to have equal rights.

This education must not contradict attempts to receive special rights of any kind. To do so is to lose credibility with the populace.

In short, we live in a democratically-controlled republic. That means that in order to change the laws, one must obtain some measure of consensus among the people. You do not convince people by force, you convince them by persuasion. So, if you are gay and want to be able to marry, persuade. You won;'t get everything you want the first time, probably not the second time, but you'll make progress toward your goals. And you'll make much more progress than by parading down Main Street half-nude or by getting some judge to thwart the will of the people. Those tactics are setting you back, not moving you forward.

I should state that I have not placed one word of my personal beliefs about gay marriage in this post. This post is about why the idiots in Tennessee are inconsequential, and what should be done if one wishes to press an agenda for gay marriage. I really don't care what you do in your bedroom, as long as you don't show the slide show at my dinner table.

Now, let's see: asbestos suit... check.
asbestos boots... check.
asbestos gloves... check.
asbestos hat... check
gas mask... check.
three-year supply of breathable gases.... check.

OK, redneck is good. Flamethrowers at the ready... set... FLAME!

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

I'm well aware of how stupid Nevada is as well. We've had similar measures in certain cities and counties attempting to not only ban gay marriage but any homosexuality whatsoever.

I suppose I should have thrown in Nevada into the pile of stupid part of the country. You see, to me it isn't the rate of education that determines how stupid a state is. It is lack of foresight.

One thing I have always said, is that if you want to have a gay pride parade that tells people "we deserve to be treated as human beings", then they must stop the over the top freakshow. Not because it is offensive(at least not to me) but because it removes any notion of being taken seriously.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Oh, I could have picked any state. I'll admit that Alabama politics is a real hoot sometimes, but somehow the people generally seem to stand up and shout down the politicians at the last moment.

Somewhere back in history, I think we decided to send the real idiots to Goat Hill so they wouldn't be in our back yards. Probably not a good idea, but when one is dealing with complete morons, the situation can seem desperate enough at the time to evoke a knee-jerk response.

BTW, for those out of state: Goat Hill is the common name for Montgomery (state capital). We call it that because those who work there have the intelligence and the stubbornness of the average goat... if we're lucky.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Can't we all agree there are actually 50 states run by/full of stupid people in this nation?

I think thats the real jist of what everyone is trying to say here.

P.s. good example Redneck! (amazing I never thought 'good' and 'redneck' would ever leave my mouth in the same sentence...)

edit to Change Mount to Mouth...(WOW typing took over automatically)

[edit on 8/22/2008 by coven]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by coven

P.s. good example Redneck! (amazing I never thought 'good' and 'redneck' would ever leave my mouth in the same sentence...)

heh, stick around, my friend, and you'll realize that people never completely fit their stereotypes.
I take this as an extreme compliment.

And, no, we can't agree there are fifty states. Obama says there are 60.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I live in Tennessee and I love Tennessee (especially the eastern tip). There most certainly is a percentage of the population that would fall into the ignorant category( as there is anywhere else) but the majority are people like anywhere else. I have been married for several years and I say if they want to live in the hell of marriage let them. The only issue I can see is why make the legal commitment if you don't have to. There is a very minimul tax benefit but I'm not sure what else would be the benefit.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join