It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Tennessee County wants to ban gays

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I wonder if a resident of this county had a child who ended up being gay, would they call the authorities or ban them from living with or visiting them? These people are usually the ones who claim to be devout Christians, and list God as their number one justification for their behavior. If there is a God and It chooses to destroy anyone for their sins, I think it will be people like this, that ooze hate from every pore.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
Is polygamny banned in some areas? Same difference if they wanna ban gays.

Ummm... there's a difference from polygamy to 2 adults just wanting to be LEFT ALONE...leave us the HELL alone.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Garon

Originally posted by HowardRoark
Rhea County, Home of the new American Taliban.

Actually thats D.C. this place is where the rejects go.

Garon....
Please? Give me a break....there are soooooooo many gay people in the government it's pathetic. Trust me I know for a FACT. I live in DC...am a gay man....and I know ALOT of them.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Yeah dude, just go on over to Dupont Circle. It's like Chinatown for gay people.

Polygamy is very different that homosexuality. Homosexuality is not a government licensed thing like marrying more than one person.

You can have more than one mate (although not legally married), as you can have sex with whomever you want.

There is no way this will fly, and even if it does, it will not for long.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Yo Jethro....keep up the intellegence. It's actually nice to hear from someone who has a thoughtful response other than "oh...what about polygamy...what about beastiality...." You my friend rock.!!!!

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Sorry to be ignorant in this area, but can the state actually get a stupid law like this passed in the age?

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I really doubt it. Specially when the supreme court just last year came to the conclusion that homosexuality is not a crime.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Pay real close attention here and do not misunderstand this post.

Some key words from the article:

"Officials have voted "

"to introduce legislation amending"

"find the best way to enact a local law"

You may disagree with the goal but the path is Constitutional. This may sound
contrary to your beliefs, but I defend the "path" they have taken.

"First counties and states are allowing marriage...now a county in tennessee
wants to ban gays all together."

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   
First of all Nightwing, I am not one of these people who are doing unlawful things. I agree with you that the "gay marriages" are illegal and that's not the way to go. But, I also DO have to say that NOONE I repeat NOONE has the right to say someone can't live in this and that county/state. I have to ask....are people who are listed as sexual offenders aloud in this county? If not, then that IS also unconstitutional (I am not trying to comend sexual offense either).

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Not to detract from you thoughtful reply, MM, but I will quote the statement
you should consider further.

NOONE I repeat NOONE has the right to say someone can't live in this and that county/state. == MacMerdin

Everyone in a Democracy has the right to try to get any cockamamie law they can think
of passed. If you ever get a chance to be incredibly bored, you might want to take a
look at some of the stuff that actually makes it to the national level congress. You
will have to go to a Rodeo to see more horseshyt. They are not saying this or that.
They are trying to pass a law. They have that right, and even if the locals agree,
it has to stand the legal challenge. Finnally, the local legislature cannot enforce it
without agreement from their executive. I would say that if legalized locally, it would
most likely fall at the state level.
Any legal challenge would have to address aspects of Megan's Law, as that would
most likely be the defense. I remind you that Megan's Law addresses the very point
you made with sex offenders, and has many proponents trying to do as you suggested
for sex offenders by strengthening it.

/\/ight\/\/ing

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Doubt this will have a chance.

The US Supreme Court ruled sodomy laws (including the legal term "crimes against nature") unconstitutional on 6/26/03 in Lawrence vs. Texas.
Supreme Court decision (.pdf file)
CNN.com

-B.

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   
No one wants to see two guys holding hands and kissing in public, especially in a small town with out-dated conservative values. It draws out negative in human behavior, and like polygamy in some areas this county does not want to see any of that around, its a free country and if you dont like that then move out of there. They are not going around house to house checking on you, they'll just shun you and drive you out of town if they find out you're gay.
I wonder what this town thinks about transsexuals?, I am willing to bet I know some that are way more attractive than the females in that Tennessee county.

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   

its a free country

Apparently not...and do you realize that you just contradicted yourself?

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by MacMerdin
Garon....
Please? Give me a break....there are soooooooo many gay people in the government it's pathetic. Trust me I know for a FACT. I live in DC...am a gay man....and I know ALOT of them.

I didn't say there were no gay people in the government nor in Washington DC. I said DC is the home of the new American Taliban...AKA...the Bush administration. It has nothing to do with the number of gays there are. I am probably the biggest proponet of gay rights on this board.

As for NightWings posts...

I applaud the counties that are doing what they are doing. They are taking a stand for human rights. This country is founded on revolution and for us to sit back while they strip away those rights one by one is irresponsible.

You say this is a democracy? I say you're lieing. This is not a democracy. Not anymore. When a government is so currupt as to care more about what's in their wallets than what is happening among it's people...when a governement wants to change the constitution to fit its bigot, hateful agenda....that is not a democracy. The fact of the matter is America is not a free nation any longer. Not with the patriot acts and certainly not with actions like this taking place.

We cannot restrict a human being simply because of who he/she loves. We simply CANNOT. A person who loves another person of the same gender is doing NOTHING WRONG and therefore there is no basis for any type of action against them.

This is about hate. A group of people in power who hate another group of people and they don't want them around. That's all there is to it. If one place starts this type of precedent what is next?

Hate cannot be allowed to prosper. It simply cannot.

If it takes a revolution to stop the spread of hate in this country than So Be It.

[Edited on 3-18-2004 by Garon]

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Garon,

When I first read your post about DC, I got the wrong meaning of it. After reading it again (before your recent post) I did get the right idea. Sorry for any misconception on my part. I think I just got a little too drunk last night. :w:

edit: forgot to include get

[Edited on 18-3-2004 by MacMerdin]

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   
The overwhelming majority of the population in that county supports the gay ban, majority rules, democracy wins!!!

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Again...if majority ruled, then black people would still be sitting in the back of the bus. Especially in our backward trailor trash neiborhoods as this one in Tennessee. No offense anyone from Tennessee, just blowin off some steam.

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   

The overwhelming majority of the population in that county supports the gay ban, majority rules, democracy wins!!!

You really think that you live in a democracy? :shk:

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Kind of ironic that marrying one's sister or close family relatives is allowed in these areas but being gay is an abomination. We need to post some pics of the fine folk that are initiating this possible ban so we can all have a good laugh.

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   
That was the funniest thing I've heard all day Jrod.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join