It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Tell Owners: 'We're Inspecting Your Guns'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Police Tell Owners: 'We're Inspecting Your Guns'

worldnetdaily.com

Oklahoma police investigating the shooting deaths of two girls have told area residents with guns to bring them in for a test to determine whether they were used in the attack, sparking concern among those who own guns for hunting and self-defense.

According to reports in the Tulsa World the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation sent letters to members of the community who were registered as owning .40-caliber handguns suggesting they voluntarily bring in their gun or guns for a test.

The individuals who were "invited" to bring their guns in but didn't now will be included in the ongoing investigation, as well as people who were identified by former owners as having purchased that type of weapon recently, authorities said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
This sounds like another one of those creepy scenarios with all sorts of potential for abuse of gun rights.

So now, according to this department, anyone who goes about legal channels to purchase a firearm and register it, risks being put under investigation if a crime is commited with the same caliber of firearm they've purchased?

Unreal.

Authorities said they sent out about 60 letters, and about 40 gun owners voluntarily brought in their weapons to the Okfuskee County Courthouse at Okemah for testing over the weekend.

Brown said those weapons were taken by investigators and test-fired, and the results of those tests now are being evaluated. She said nearly half a dozen former gun owners contacted authorities to identify new owners, and another 15 gun owners did not show up.

Those who participated in a forum on the newspaper website expressed sympathy for the victims and their families, but worried about the maneuver of inspecting privately owned guns without a search warrant or probable cause.

worldnetdaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Gee if we follow this line of reasoning by the police, if there are any unsolved rape cases, every male in the community will have to bring in his "gun" for DNA testing. After all if it applies to one type of "gun" it should apply to the other.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I think what we're seeing here is just a different approach at policework. I mean, if the public wants to help solve the case, they can bring their weapon in for testing. If not, they don't have to, and if they didn't kill the girl, well, then they likely won't hear another peep out of the police.

I'd wager that the weapon is lying at the bottom of an irrigation ditch somewhere in the area, though.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
The police suggesting this is their first amendment right. The private citizens should exercise their fifth amendment right and ignore this intrusion.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

I know you said that in jest.However the truth of the future is not far from that.A total population dna data bank,is in the plan. In the future I could see the firearm owner considered a potential perp.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I cant wait for the local OK people to comment on this.

Just seems to be getting stranger everyday.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

I agree with you, littler by littler the police state is taking over, all for the good of the community and the safety of the people.

Darn is sound just like phrase given when taking away civilian rights in the name of fighting terrorism.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
My dad registered his rifles. (I am in Canada) and this was a bad thing to do. The day they decide we can't have guns, they go after the law abiding people who dutifully registered their weapons by simply reading the registration list.

If you or a loved one has registered his/her guns already, I think the only way to make the case you don't have guns anymore without having to procure evidence as to the whereabouts of your gun at the time of attempted seizure is to stock up on ammo, hide the stuff, then file a claim that your weapons were stolen.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I would never give in to a request like that without them having a search warrant. If they got a warrant and checked my gun, and found that it wasn't the murder weapon, I would sue the ever living hell out of the city, the judge, the police officers involved, and the police department respectively. I would win a lot of money too.

It is the same as saying, a pedestrian was killed by a chevy, we can tell by the bowtie left in the victims leg. So everyone that owns a chevy must now bring in their car to be impounded for a forensic investigation. Those who refuse will then become suspects, and have their lives violated anyway.

When is someone going to stand up to these mafia criminals.

top topics

join