It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA altering Mars images???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   

NASA altering Mars images???

xfacts.com

Investigation shows that there are several indications that the NASA is tampering with the colors, and changes them from an Earth-like environment into a red inhospitable environment. But it seems that the young scientists at Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) are not convenient with this.

At the press conference last saturday, the JPL-scientists showed the latest picture of the Martian landscape. It showed a salmon-coloured desert with a blue sky. It seems that they did it on purpose, since previous pictures were all extremely red.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
xfacts.com

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   
How ya going? This is my first post so please be gentle...

Basically from what i read it shows several images of Mars, in the blurry red tone that NASA shows and then what the investigators claim to be original, vivid colours and a blue sky, it actually looks a lot like Earth.

Not only that, but it also shows the images much more clearly and in amazing detail.

Why would NASA alter images, to make a earthlike planet look like a inhospitable undesirable one? The obvious answer (to me at least) is that they don't want us to pressure them into travelling there, maybe because, we probably wont be the only ones there?

You really have to go the link to appreciate it and I'm not doing any justice to the topic, but I really wanted to discuss with others.

xfacts.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Interesting concept...but in all it is absolutely obvious from external pictures that Mars looks nothing like earth on it's surface, and a lot of NASA shots are in different color formats, sometimes the lighting is slightly different, etc. A lot of things like minor color various can be explained. For instance if you have an overcast of dust or what have you the landscape will look more red

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by yellowcard

YAY my first comment thingy, proudest day of my life, yeh I can see your point, but why didn't NASA do what the JPS team did, if only to see it in greater detail?

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by yellowcard

YAY my first comment thingy, proudest day of my life, yeh I can see your point, but why didn't NASA do what the JPS team did, if only to see it in greater detail?

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by remstar2010

Because if they did that they would be altering the photos

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Yay your first double post thingy
Thanks for the link.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by remstar2010

Hi remstar2010, Yea it's The Matrix Traveller.

You may be closer to the truth, than you realise...

Keep digging around, you may be shocked, at what you find.

But keep a level head as "Fact" is Stranger than Fiction.

There is more hidden, about your World and Universe, than you can ever can imagine in your wildest Dreams!

But don't get too close to the fire...

Friendly Regards,

The Matrix Traveller...

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Members on ATS like "Armap" and "Zorgon" have been talking about this for as long as I can remember. This is nothing new (at least not to me). But it is interesting isn't it?

Some cool links to check out

"The Living Moon" - The True Color of Mars

"The Living Moon" - The Mars Anomaly Collection

Xfacts.com - The True Color of Mars

More on the true color of Mars

Enterprise Mission - Revealing the True Colors of Nasa

-ChriS

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Thanks
Its amazing how much a little imageedit can do.(No Ironi :-)
Maby some would like to check out these their just brilliant

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by BlasteR

Hey thanks for that I'm new to this all, but those links you gave were awesome cheers buddy

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by BlasteR

Great links you postet. amazing images from up there. Thanks a lot

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   

NASA does not deny they alter the colors just depends on which camera is taking the picture.

To save bandwidth, they do not send full color pictures. They then add colors or alter them when presenting them to the public.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow_Lord

NASA does not deny they alter the colors just depends on which camera is taking the picture.

To save bandwidth, they do not send full color pictures. They then add colors or alter them when presenting them to the public.

[They then add colors or alter them when presenting them to the public. ]

I don't Doubt what you say for one second, but Why do they do this for the Public?

Is it a Sales Pitch?

Friendly Regards,

The Matrix Traveller...

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   
The panoramic cameras ('pancam') on the Mars rovers are actually black-and-white (1 Mpixel). That is, each camera measures only light intensity. What wavelengths of light they're measuring depends on the particular filters that are rotated in place in front of the camera. Here is what the lens and filter assembly looks like:

There is a total of fifteen different filters, each measuring different ranges of wavelengths. Here is an excellent overview.

Measuring at multiple wavelengths is essential in spectroscopy. Very different materials can emit different wavelengths of light that when measured with a simpler 'RGB' system, such as the human eye, seem to be identical 'colors'. See this post for more explanation (I made graphs!):

The Illusion of Color: Perceptions of Light

All that said, I wouldn't be very surprised if NASA was altering some images, or has in the past...

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by The Matrix Traveller

They do it to make it look better. Greyscale landscapes just dont look interesting. Now a blue sky? That will get peoples interest. More interest, more money...

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
www.marsanomalyresearch.com...

Check this site out man...better than the rest - IMHO.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
it would be cool to have a second earth i guess... but i have a question that may have been answered that i didnt see but why? why change the color?

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
There is a breathable atmosphere on both the moon and mars. There is a purplish sky to mars with a blue tinge. Also its teeming with life - my opinion.

Thanks for the info

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
There was some documentary from NASA on that pancam thing... It was pretty interesting, and they said they would apply these filters and download them one at a time, and the end result was combined to form the composite image. To me, this seems like lame technology, but I guess they have their reason for doing it in this manner. I would just like to see good images, with true color representation. They on the other hand are probably try to measure light frequency so they can do accurate science.

There was some post a week or so ago, that stated that NASA had some major announcement concerning this latest mars mission, but I never heard anything else about it.

It would be nice to believe there is something alive on mars, even if it is a microscope lifeform.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join