It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Umm...Houston we have a photo problem !

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Apollo 16 Lunar Rover Picture Anomaly !

i was looking at this picture of the Apollo 16 Rover and something is NOT right with the picture. i am not saying we did not go to the Moon but i think this shows that something was done to the photo's ???

There is two things wrong with this picture.

#1-look at the left rear tire and notice anything strange ? it looks like the tire is the color of the surface of the Moon ?

#2-look at the shadow from the right rear tire...notice the tread marks in the shadow ? i didnt know tread marks could appear in a shadow ?

explain that please.....lol

to see the Photo in High Resolution go to this link and scroll down towards the bottom and look at picture #AS16-117-18818

www.apolloarchive.com...
The Project Apollo Image Gallery

here are some other photo's of the Rover's tire ...

The wheels consisted of a spun aluminum hub and an 81.8 cm diameter, 23 cm wide tire made of zinc coated woven 0.083 cm diameter steel strands attached to the rim and discs of formed aluminum. Titanium chevrons covered 50% of the contact area to provide traction. Inside the tire was a 64.8 cm diameter bump stop frame to protect the hub.

even though the tires were Zinc coated i dont see how this tire could look like that. also how does a shadow have tread marks in it ???

is it just bad editing or evidence for something else ?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I think the tires are made of mesh sort of like a screen door with Ti strips for 'tread'. What you see is the light shining through them.

They are light and double as suspension that way.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
The tires are made of spingy, zinc-coated wire and are not completely solid. It's alternative to air-inflated rubber and probably less weighty.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by beezwaxes

ok if the light was shining through them you would still see some of the tire.

i dont see any tire or mesh or whatever.

how about the tread marks in the shadow ?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

The tires are made of spingy, zinc-coated wire and are not completely solid.

ok if they are not completely solid how come you cant see any of the tire ?

all i see is what appears to be a reflection of the surface on the tire.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by easynow

The tires are made of spingy, zinc-coated wire and are not completely solid.

ok if they are not completely solid how come you cant see any of the tire ?

all i see is what appears to be a reflection of the surface on the tire.

What do you mean you can't see the tire? I see the tire in every photo. The mesh is likely too fine to be made out at the resolution of the images and so isn't resolved. Since the wire has gaps that allow light through, the tread pieces bonded to it will show up in the photo.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   

if light was coming thru the tire it would not look like the moon surface and secondly i really doubt the mesh or wires are far enough apart to let light shine thru.

did you go to the web page and look at the high resolution photo ?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
In the top picture where it looks like the inner rim is floating above the ground, the camera isn't picking up the wire mesh that makes the 'tires' carcass so, it looks like the tire is the color of the ground. The camera is looking right through it.

In the second one, the titanium chevrons that are casting the shadow are visible where the molded tread on a rubber tire would be. The shadow does seem at an odd angle but??

I'm not into paint and the like but someone will probably be along to highlight things.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   

if light was coming thru the tire it would not look like the moon surface and secondly i really doubt the mesh or wires are far enough apart to let light shine thru.

did you go to the web page and look at the high resolution photo ?

Look at KSC-71P-543 closely. It's plain and obvious there.

Besides, our family business made parts for some Apollo missions and several companies including ours competed on tire designs. We didn't get contract for the tire design but did other stuff. My grandfather made mention of something like this being the winning one.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Maybe someone needs a new monitor, because they are not seeing everything correctly. Because I see the shadow from the tire. Yes the tires are made from a material other then what normal tires are made of and yes they are partially see thru at the right angle

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
wire mesh wheel... I wouldn't even consider it to be a tire in the conventional sense. You can see right thru it. Strange, but I saw it on the Rover at the Air and Space Museum in DC.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   

ok ok i see what your saying, they do appear to be fairly transparent but i dont think it looks right because it looks more like a reflection than a see thru thing.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mcgilligan02

Maybe someone needs a new monitor, because they are not seeing everything correctly.

you might be right haha...now explain the tread marks in the shadow

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
The treads in the shadow are no mystery. The gaps in the mesh let a portion of the light shine through and the treads and springs inside cast a shadow. Since you cannot resolve the mesh in those photos, you have a dimmed shadow of the tire's mesh and a full shadow of other structures. The mesh just comes out as an averaged level. The other picture I linked to shows the mesh quite clearly including the wires themselves.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by easynow

It's a metal mesh. So it's reflecting a bit of the moons surface. Light is shining through the wheels, the treads allow light through easier.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   

so are you saying the ' chevrons ' are see thru as well ? from what i seen in the photo you posted in the link the chevrons appear more solid.

if that is the case then the shadow would be the opposite because the treads would make a solid shadow ?

are the chevrons reflecting into the shadow ?...hmm

[edit on 21-8-2008 by easynow]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
FLAG & STAR! Awesome find! Irrefutable! Not getting enough attention. This one is kind of a clincher.

Like you ask people to do, Explain it!

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by titorite

thanks for your reply

Like you ask people to do, Explain it!

well so far the explanations that have been presented do make sense to me but the picture should not look like it does even with the explanations presented ...considered.

i am still not 100% convinced especially the shadow part.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   

so are you saying the ' chevrons ' are see thru as well ? from what i seen in the photo you posted in the link the chevrons appear more solid.

if that is the case then the shadow would be the opposite because the treads would make a solid shadow ?

are the chevrons reflecting into the shadow ?...hmm
[edit on 21-8-2008 by easynow]

No, they are opaque. In certain views where you see the brightly lit surface of a chevron though the tire mesh, the color tends to be pretty close to the color of the soil and the lit up mesh which makes them appear almost absent.

Look at the the lit area on the front of the tire in the foreground in AS16-117-18818. They "camouflage" quite easily that way. The blurriness of the photos exaggerates the effect.

Yes, I'm looking at the "highres" pics but they really aren't so much.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
here is what these tires look like close up. hope it helps.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join