It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there any room for humor in ATS?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
NOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Harharyarharyarharaarrgh ar ar...
Wait a minute....

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Before I logged onto BTS/ATS I did a search on Google for Entertainment General Discussion Forum and got BTS. I'm not really into the deep discussion of ridiculous topics, but that doesn't mean I think the people here are ridiculous. I'm sure that some things that I'm interested in are ridiculous to others.

I spent a lot of time on various forums trying to educate people and gave up because most just are desperately trying to prove they are smarter than you and don't even think about what you are saying. That is a waste of my time.

I like my comments to be entertaining and light hearted so you might swear that I a little kid is typing on the other end. That is just my type of humor. One thing you can guarentee is that what I type is the truth and not made up.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I'm astounded by people who want to 'know' the universe when it's hard enough to find your way around Chinatown.
Woody Allen

Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things.
Woody Allen
sorry for this post but:
My education was dismal. I went to a series of schools for mentally disturbed teachers.
Woody Allen

:

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Of course theirs room for a laugh on ATS.
Here I am laughing in my room
HA HA HA HO HO HO TITTER.
Its a relief to laugh It can get seriously intense on some of these threads.
I bet some people switch off ATS go to bed and sit up all night with all the lights on .wooden stakes at the ready.Pentagon drawn around the bed,
23 crucifixes hammered into the wall .Gun containing silver bullets.Sleepers and david Iykes mobile emergency contact no.
All mirrors covered. Secret passageway to sealed bunker.These people will have huge baggy red eyes, grey skin a nervous twitch and on the road to a morgue.
Then their are those people with huuuuuge EGO,s always right,so far up their own a****ss they have never seen light BS the only smell they know.
Then we have those who come from another planet another dimension here to teach us all they know.
This is why humour is important It puts life situations which at the end of the day are illusional furniture of the mind into funny perspective

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
IMO Humour has it's place,as long as it is not offensive and doesn't interrupt the flow of a topic. I installed a skylight in my apartment....the people who live above me are furious! SW

[edit on 21-8-2008 by all2human]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

We have a winner.

If you make a humorous comment, make it an aside and then add substantial content to complete your post.

That way you have humor and also make a contribution.

You want to avoid making 'throw-away' posts or promoting silliness for its sake alone, probably.

Good comment GEL.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
One of the strongest markers of intelligence is a strong sense of humor ?

I have heard this comment several times. I don't think that is empirically true. Most of the intelligent people I have encountered have been very serious, even stern, individuals.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by headlightone

Yeah some of the peepz here make me wounder with the miserable views they have. Now my life would be much happier if I new how to spell and not check dictionary dot com every post!

[edit on 21-8-2008 by MrMysticism]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrMysticism
Yeah some of the peepz her make me wounder the misserable views they have. Now my life would be much happier if I new how to spell and not check dictionary dot com every post!

Sorry, no humor.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MrMysticism

See, the thing is, I usually get outwitted by starfish, so the only defense I have is humor.

I try to educate people, I fail miserably but I do try.

Now I am off to continue following the directions on an orange juice can (it says concentrate)

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
There's Plenty Of Humor On ATS...

...but it's not always obvious and not everyone can appreciate it.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean
Oh sure laugh laugh laugh, but really, humor is the biggest conspiracy of them all! What is humor? An effect of the sudden penetration of cognitive dissonance! Expect 'A', get 'B', then laugh because it's funny. If you were going to hide a conspiracy (I'm not talking a piddly conspiracy, such as the size of flying saucers (we all know it's circumference that matters), but a really big conspiracy), what would be the best technique for doing so? Yes, that's right! Make it so that every insight into the truth is a form of 'humor', that can be categorized as such, and dismissed as silly.

An exegesis upon this subject is forthcoming. Be ready!

Actually, you may not be far off....

Laughter is a defense mechanism that is a release of pent up stress in a situation of 'discomfort', usually the result of encountered unknowns.

Walking in a new environment when it is dark is actually quite similar to hearing a new joke....you don't know yet. And the results are similar as well. When you reach your destination in the darkened new environment, relief may compel a smile. When the joke reaches its' destination and comprehension reveals itself, 'relief' is expressed through laughter.

So, it could be said that the editorial cartoons and the many parodies of our government are designed and thoroughly propagated in an effort to continually relaese the built up stress of the population in regards to their animosity and feelings toward a deceitful government.

The Daily Show and The Colbert Show are actually a conspiracy to keep Americans complicit and inactive with regards to political action!

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   

They spell humor wrong. Discredited.

'Humour' is the British spelling...

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock

Also used in Canada. Probably everywhere else in the Commonwealth. It's a big world out there.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock

And how does that contradict what I said? The are notoriously bad spellers.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Lol...I suppose there is no contradiction if you want to play all subjective and everything...

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Kind of interesting as THEY were the ones that spawned the language.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Kind of interesting as THEY were the ones that spawned the language.

Yet today's Romans are spotty at best with their latin.

[edit on 8/21/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
This thread is getting off topic. No "u's" will be added to perfectly good words and no humor will be allowed at ATS on my watch.

Last warning.

Peace

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join