It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there any room for humor in ATS?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Most humor is usually just a "play on words" and if you are not familiar with the language you're not going to "get it."

I think a person on this forum has to be careful with humor. Humor in the USA is not the same kind of humor as in other countries, and this is an International forum, right?

Even men's humor is different than a what a woman considers humorous.

Personally, humor goes "right over my head," and jokes I generally "don't get."

To me, a person that has to continually crack jokes and/or be humorous, I have a hard time taking "anything" they say seriously.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I got an applause for that. I would definitely say humor is excepted.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
A sense of humor is intrinsic to surviving this board for any amount of time. Lots of doom and gloom in the world. I try to inject humor when I can.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Is there any room for humor in ATS?

Twin Towers brought down by 18th Century Ship

Of course there is . This is front page news ...

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Humor is always needed, ESPECIALLY here. Nice to see you some other place then outer space...Kudos.

I don't think anyone dislikes humor, rather people don't like being the joke.

You know the saying..."They were laughing at you, not with you".

I know this is horrible, but when someone has an accident like tripping or running into something....I can't help it. I think that is the funniest thing in the world, but the reason I do is only because I have done the same things.

I've been the guy on the water skies waiting for the boat to take off and been pulled right out of my skies not paying attention to the slack. It helps me to laugh at my own stupidity and feel for theirs. I'd much rather laugh then freak out.

I think you can make fun of anything, so long as you try and relate. It takes peoples guard down to know that you are just like them in some way or another....It's empathy, it works for humor also.

Anyway, you know I usually have a mouth full. Trying to curb that.

Again nice post Phage...

Peace

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
an outstanding thread.
from one of the most humours persons on ATS

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Humor is the best marital aid I know of.

We all must play less seriously and learn more playfully.

If it is funny they will come.

Man walks into a bar with a steering wheel sticking out of his stomach. Another man asks, why do you have a steering wheel attached to your stomach?

Because it drives me nuts.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I'm generally a poster that stays on topic, but if I see an opening to add a little humour, I will.

Humour is one of the most incredible things that we humans possess and should be utilized whenever the opportunity arises. It's a wonderful emotion, to say the least, regardless of how much trouble I have gotten into during my lifetime because of it.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Humor? I remember the days when the truffles were abundant and ripe for picking. Knowing that truffles were worth a fortune, I filled my pantry with them. Unfortunately, now, in my pantry... there is not mushroom left.
edit on 2-5-2012 by Tadeusz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Personally, I've read tons of threads and replys that garnered a chuckle to full blow laughter on ATS. It's like you say, sharp people tend to have a sense of humor, they get it's a funny. I suppose so long as the joke doesn't come at the expense of putting someone down or just plain insulting, there wouldn't be a problem with it.

There will always be thin skinned people, who take things a little too serious or personal. You can't let that censor your speech.

I mean, how can we deal with government conspircies, alien invasions and polar flips if we can't even take a joke?

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I do hope so, at least as long as people are "honest" about what they say. Humor is better then drugs (medications of course) With out it we are not just in and among, but are serious losers. A world with out humor. Not for me. It makes me feel better when I need to. Since I have a terminal disease, and recently "fell down and couldn't get up", (really), with out my close protection agent helping my sorry ass, I'd still be in a heap at the base of the steps in my house.

Thank God I bought him and his associates a house just down the street from mine. No humor? I could and even have a "right" to be pissed off at life some have said, But the joy I have experienced, is even worth a shortened life. Sadly that is inevitable. Pity really, so much left to do...
edit on 5/2/12 by arbiture1200 because: add stuff

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
How about a stupid joke then, to lighten things up?

A cockroach and a horse fly walked in to the fanciest restaurant in town.
"Dinner for two", promptly said the cockroach to the receptionist.
"Right this way, sirs." said the receptionist and she found them a real nice table with
a window overlooking the most beautiful view in the place. She sat them across from each other
and handed them both a menu.

"Let me do the talking." said the cockroach to the fly, and the fly politely obliged.

The waiter came over to the table and explained the daily specials and poured them both a glass
of water. The cockroach told the waiter he would order for the both of them, to which the waiter
said "Yes sir, what would you like?"

The cockroach briefly looked at the menu and said " Well, I would like to start off with a french wine, a 1967 Clous DuBois would be fine, then for starters a nice Ceasar salad with croutons.
For my entre I would like your Chateau-Briond, done medium rare,
with a side of artichoke hearts and some scolloped potatoes, but please go lightly on the salt."

"Yes sir" said the waiter, "That is a fine choice". Then the cockroach briefly gazed out the window
at the beautiful scenery, turned to the waiter and said , "Oh, and bring my fly some s###."
edit on 3-5-2012 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by sodakota
I think a person on this forum has to be careful with humor. Humor in the USA is not the same kind of humor as in other countries, and this is an International forum, right?

Yes, it is considered an international forum. However from what I've noticed it's mostly western people on here. North America, Europe and Australia. We all understand each others' humour for the most part.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Sorry bout that. Just taking advantage of a thread that has to do with humor, not much like it anywhere. Hope I did not dishonor the thread, just having fun. What a lousy joke to, agree?

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I have to agree with you and unfortunately there are alot of over sensitive members out there who don't like what they read and really need to get a life. Often enough I get msgs from members adding me as a foe who have more than one avatar name - simply because they don't like to hear the truth on certain subjects that are not directive to any member/s in any shape or form and are obviously sensitive to them. Don't like the heat? Get out fo the kitchen!

ATS is fast becoming home to whiny ultra sensitive members who like to run to big "daddy" getting quite informative posts removed because either they don't like the thread or they disagree with it. I mean, really?

As for those quirky funny one liners - keep em coming.......without them I probably would walk

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
I just want everyone to be themselves. if you're funny, you're funny. don't change yourself to appease.
this post could have been funny, but I made it unfunny.

now i'm done using the word "funny" for the rest of my life, thank you.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
[
edit on 30-8-2013 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Personally I absolutely see a need to temper my interpretation of most posts with a certain amount of humour Phage. There is simply too much lunacy to not. I just read a completely asinine thread on lop concerning you being a paid shill and could barely contain laughing out loud. Over the years I have found much entertainment in your shrewd and poignant answers to very obtuse viewpoints. I envy that you have the time and patience to police much of the delusional tripe that finds it's way here. Cheers! Keep up the good work!

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   

I know the average ATS member is above average intelligence.
reply to post by Phage

yeah humour is alive and kicking!

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Phage
There are a lot of times a post or a thread header catches my eye and a hilarious (to me) one-liner comeback pops into my head. Sometimes it's even a misreading of the title that triggers a jocular reposte. I know one-liners are frowned upon and I understand why, but sometimes it is so tempting to just throw it out there. Let me present an example. I just saw a thread titled Whats Your Favorite Martial Art and Why. My immediate instinct was to create a thread titled What's your Favorite Marital Aid and Why (get it?). Discretion took over and I was able to resist. This example is obviously too racy and I really never seriously considered actually creating the thread.

I know the average ATS member is above average intelligence. One of the strongest markers of intelligence is a strong sense of humor but I see a lot of posts that I consider funny that no one else seems to. Is it just me?

Undoubtedly this medium makes it very easy for intent to be misunderstood and in such a place as this tempers can run high. Humor may be misinterpreted, not appreciated, or taken as an insult. Is there any room for humor in ATS? I'm a newcomer and I'm just beginning to get the hang of this place but I'm already having a good time. Is my sense of humor out of line? Help me control myself or give me an outlet!

Nope! No room...sorry...
Move along, nothin' to see...

Å99

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join