It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MP backs mayor's ugly woman invite

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   

MP backs mayor's ugly woman invite

www.theaustralian.news.com.au

A CALL for "beauty-disadvantaged women" to consider moving to Mt Isa to rectify the mining town's gender imbalance has won the backing of the area's federal MP.

Mayor John Moloney is under fire from residents of his north-west Queensland town after he suggested unattractive women move there to find a man.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I thought this was weird and alternative enough to post. Needless to say there was outrage at the comments being sexist etc. But there is a hugely disproportionate number of men in mount isa and not enough women. Mining pays really well too these days so they are loaded with cash

www.theaustralian.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
that is weird indeed

like miners have lower standards?

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Where is the sexism here? It just seems like a practical idea to me.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
To men it sounds fine although every woman who has commented on this to me has been a little incensed by it. It kind of intimates that they need men to be desperate to have a chance.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
well, of course. They aren't advertising for supermodels to go there, they are appealing to those more homely women who are having troubles with love.

I'm sure they'd appeal to men if it was a particularly large gay community. Nothing sexist about it, just more PC "oh no, you said that!" reactions...

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
It worked for California during the Gold Rush days and Cali isn't exactly known for ugly women today...shallow women with a very narrow world view perhaps. But not for ugly.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
EPILOGUE

'Beauty disadvantaged' call sparks worldwide interest

The Mayor of Mt Isa says he has received letters and emails from women across the world eager to learn more about the city and possibly move there.

Cool. Good luck to the men in Mount Isa and the women looking to move there!

top topics

join