It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain Opens up a 5 Point Lead over Obama

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
This is very shocking news after all the help the MSM has been giving to Obama.

Reuters Article

In a sharp turnaround, Republican John McCain has opened a 5-point lead on Democrat Barack Obama in the U.S. presidential race and is seen as a stronger manager of the economy, according to a Reuters/Zogby poll released on Wednesday.

McCain leads Obama among likely U.S. voters by 46 percent to 41 percent, wiping out Obama's solid 7-point advantage in July and taking his first lead in the monthly Reuters/Zogby poll.

And this is critical:

McCain now has a 9-point edge, 49 percent to 40 percent, over Obama on the critical question of who would be the best manager of the economy -- an issue nearly half of voters said was their top concern in the November 4 presidential election.

You can pay attention to this poll because it is done by Zogby and it is a poll of likely voters.

[edit on 8/20/2008 by centurion1211]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I was just getting ready to post this myself. Great find this morning!

This may be shocking to some, but to me it was just a matter of time. It was obvious to most of us who weren't under the spell that Obamas charm would wear off sooner or later. Now that it has, and people are beginning to take a closer look at these guys, it becoming more and more obvious that Obama isn't the man for the job. Once the debates kick into gear, it's just going to get worse for Obama too.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I still think this is going to be a surprisingly close election, similar to 2000. This is shocking though as it seems like the republican candidate is generally behind until just a few weeks before the election.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I agree, Blue. We're not going to have a clue until Nov. 4th who comes out on top.

It's never a good idea to just look at one poll, though. Here are several polls:

RealClearPolitics Polls with averages and so on. For those who like data.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Geez it must be 3:00am and the phone just rang. Likely voters are starting to figure out who they'd really like to answer the call.

McCain's campaign has been playing this process correctly. They've initiated campaign ads sighting Obama's inexperience, lack of patriotism, and overall contempt for this country. These have been laid out factually by showing his voting record.

Of course the MSM has described McCain's campaign as going negative. Negative? See when it doesn't jive that their hand picked candidate would be a horrific mistake for this country, they call that negative.

Go figure.

Becker

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Not bad for having been on vacation for a week. Let's see where the numbers are after the DNC & RNC conventions.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
You're going to start seeing McCain's numbers go up, as we start to see them debate more. The fact is, McCain is going to destroy Obama in everyone of these debates. Once the Obama's facade is peeled away, what you have left is a rookie senator who is in over his head.

Of course the MSM has described McCain's campaign as going negative. Negative? See when it doesn't jive that their hand picked candidate would be a horrific mistake for this country, they call that negative.

Exactly, its backfired on them. Most Americans see right through their attempts to smear McCain, while spinning all Obama attacks as positive. The same thing happened in 2004 when the media did the same for Kerry, than they are all surprised when Bush wins.

[edit on 20-8-2008 by Dronetek]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
To be honest i expected this. The closer it gets to election time, the more it becomes about policy and substance.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
1.) isnt it funny how all of the sudden polls can be taken seriously?

2.) My prediction: The saddleback debate we all just watched will be a severe blow to the mccain campaign. His answers were peachy, full of rainbows and sunshine, yes. They played to the crowd. BUT. Most "fence sitters" are some very intelligent people who can pick up on those kinds of things.

Time will tell.

But i just want to say again - isnt it funny how all of the sudden "polls" are suddenly credible sources of information to dictate how a candidate is doing

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Not really...they have been credible to the Obama people all along. Especially these types of polls.

The types of polls I don't put stock in are the polls fro Daily Kos that show Obama up big or something. The same way I wouldn't take a poll from Limbaugh's site that had McCain up big seriously.

This is important because it's a poll of "likely voters". Those same "fence-sitters" you mentioned don't appear to be reacting the way you had hoped.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I am anxious to see how the poll results turn up after the Clintons make complete A-holes of themselves at the DNC.

There will be some seriously divided and confused Democrats walking around in circles if Hillary and Billary make a big ego driven scene in front of the entire world. I dont see a lot of party unity there as of yet, looks like there is quite of bit of division and resentment still lingering amongst potential voters.

It will be interesting to see how this affects the numbers in the long run.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
Not really...they have been credible to the Obama people all along. Especially these types of polls.

The types of polls I don't put stock in are the polls fro Daily Kos that show Obama up big or something. The same way I wouldn't take a poll from Limbaugh's site that had McCain up big seriously.

This is important because it's a poll of "likely voters". Those same "fence-sitters" you mentioned don't appear to be reacting the way you had hoped.

All im saying is

Gallup Polls favor Obama by 1% point.

When polls show Obama in the lead - i see "polls are nothing" on the decision 2008 forum

When polls show McCain in the lead - i see "well its nice to see voters coming to their senses"

I find it hilarious

Also

Yes - i believe the clintons can serve themselves as harbingers of desctruction at the DNC if they allow their sweltering ego's to get in the way.

But i guess we'll have to wait and see.
I know one thing about the Clintons.... they're cold and calculating. They wont make a move unless they feel its the right thing to do.

If hillary somehow pulls off the nomination - i'll be voting for someone else. THe last thing this country needs is Hillary Clinton in the white house.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I suppose in one sense, that conclusion is directly dependent upon WHICH poll is cited. CNN just moments ago cited Senator Obama three points ahead of Senator McCain, at 46-43 (with 11 undecided).

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin
All im saying is

Gallup Polls favor Obama by 1% point.

Yes, and with a 3 point margin of error that means it's a statistical tie as well.

The fact of the matter is that neither Obama nor his supporters thought they would be anywhere near this close at any point. This is an election season where the Democrats should be able to win nominating a stuffed animal for President, and yet Obama has never been able to pull away from McCain, and now in some instances...is trailing.

Can't feel good...

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Well

you go ahead and keep vesting your interests in polls.

I, personally, agree with all of you anti-obama people when a pro-obama poll is posted

"polls dont mean a damn thing"

too bad you can't stick to your convictions on other types of polls

Good luck with your polls.....i'll see ya later

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

You're kind of painting with a broad brush if you interpret everyone who has thus far posted in this thread, or the thread itself, as "anti-Obama". The OP reported the story, backed up by the Reuters link, and I thought was very even-handed with additional thread comments.

I myself am not "anti-Obama", nor "anti-McCane". I want the best choice for the U.S. particularly during these turbulent years. I agree that polls shouldn't carry much weight, and certainly shouldn't influence our own decision-making process.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
This is an election season where the Democrats should be able to win nominating a stuffed animal for President, and yet Obama has never been able to pull away from McCain, and now in some instances...is trailing.

And this is evidence that the polls and the upcoming election are completely under control, and are not reflecting anything other than controlled social dynamics in action.

The huge majority of US citizens are heartily sick and tired of the direction this country is headed... liberals and true conservatives alike.

And the candidate that is virtually indistinguishable from what we have now is even close?

That claim is enough for me to discount polls completely. And I have suspicions that the 'election' will be just as useless. If we have one. I still expect the infamous 'incident' to come along at just the right time...

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Even without the polls, (which my last post didn't really deal with), my point was that Obama is not where he nor his supporters thought he would be at this stage.

A month or so ago, people were still fainting in his presence and the feeling in the air was that there was nothing that could stop Obama. That feeling, however, is now gone and people are starting to take a closer look at the candidates themselves. That's why you see things like this that show the gap has closed or in some cases switched directions.

I don't need a poll to tell me that the Obama mania is gone…I can feel it.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Well, at least the real obama is coming through.

We can now see him for what he really is and what he stands for.

I can't wait until the election.

Just think, what are we going to say the day after???

I guess we will be able to reflect on all the polls and speech's then.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Not too shabby for a candidate who has been running a lame campaign.

Guess McCain knew what he was doing after all.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join