McCain Opens up a 5 Point Lead over Obama

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Ive said it before, polls have little merit until late october.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Some how I knew we would be debating polls.

link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin
1.) isnt it funny how all of the sudden polls can be taken seriously?

2.) My prediction: The saddleback debate we all just watched will be a severe blow to the mccain campaign. His answers were peachy, full of rainbows and sunshine, yes. They played to the crowd. BUT. Most "fence sitters" are some very intelligent people who can pick up on those kinds of things.

Time will tell.

But i just want to say again - isnt it funny how all of the sudden "polls" are suddenly credible sources of information to dictate how a candidate is doing

Unfortunately you are wrong. America has enjoyed McCain at the Forum. You keep calling it a debate, it really wasnt.

Theres no doubt anywhere McCain did better at the forum. You are one of the select few that seems to believe Obama did.

I totally see you crying when McCain picks apart Obama in september.

[edit on 8/20/2008 by AndrewTB]

link   
reply to post by AndrewTB

There is no debating that really, which is what I've been trying to explain to Andrew. There is however, a feeling in the air to go along with what these numbers show. Perhaps it's just me though...but I can feel the Obama craze dying.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
reply to post by AndrewTB

There is no debating that really, which is what I've been trying to explain to Andrew. There is however, a feeling in the air to go along with what these numbers show. Perhaps it's just me though...but I can feel the Obama craze dying.

You are correct. The numbers do suggest a slight change in where support lays. Ive learned to try and ignore poll data, but either way it signals people are starting to open their eyes.

Polls just show how people are thinking at any given time. It doesnt show how people are going to vote as a lot of people dont decide until last minute.

Of course I know that. I just thought i'd type it out for Andrew to read as he has a lot to learn.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

No, the news is that in spite of being "annointed" by the media. And in spite of Obama's rock star-like adulation by people here and elsewhere, the polls have started to switch over to McCain as people begin to look at substance and policies (or lack of in Obama's case). Notice that McCain has even a larger lead when likely voters asked who would be a better manager of the economy.

The iraq war issue that so many dems had pinned their election hopes on is pretty much a dead issue. So, now voters care more about the economy and in a bad strategic move, Obama has not showed anybody anything on the economy.

The handwriting is starting to form on the wall and it says your poster boy (Obama) is going down.

[edit on 8/20/2008 by centurion1211]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Mccain as president....I need to stock my bunker....
Well yes polls are good...but its all down to the crunch time in the end...lets cross our fingers

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
I suppose in one sense, that conclusion is directly dependent upon WHICH poll is cited. CNN just moments ago cited Senator Obama three points ahead of Senator McCain, at 46-43 (with 11 undecided).

Correct. But historically which polls have been more accurate is also a good question. The Zogby polls have been historically very accurate.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
Even without the polls, (which my last post didn't really deal with), my point was that Obama is not where he nor his supporters thought he would be at this stage.
I don't need a poll to tell me that the Obama mania is gone…I can feel it.

This is also an excellent point. Obama's supporters and the MSM have gone to great lengths to portray Obama as some kind of "saviour" to McCain's being nothing but a bumbling old fool.

That strategy is now showing as not working.

To Andrew, BH and all the other obamaphiles here, tell me that you are not shocked and even a little hurt that your rock star isn't already blowing McCain away in the polls. Come on, you can be honest here ...

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

That is exactly what I was saying when I made this thread Thread link about how a large percentage of Americans are becoming sick and tired of the Obama rhetoric. People in large numbers are becoming more and more weary of this guy and the number of folks put off seem to be growing.

Mccain is sort of like the steady tortoise who is gathering votes slowly but surely, while it seems to me that Obama is the hare who ran as fast as he could out of the gate and is now giving out of gas.

A lot of Obamanites seem to think that this election is a done deal, they seem to have gotten cocky and dismissed the old guy. Looks like it may be coming back around to bite them in the rear.

Granted Im not a huge fan of John Mccain, but I love to root for the underdog. Especially when the majority of folks that I meet from the other camp seem to be so overly confident.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I was expecting to see a drop when Russia invaded Georgia. People will overreact and think "You know maybe McCain would be better". Then they will see their next paycheck and go to the store and see the rising prices, then think "You know maybe Obama would be better".

It goes in cycles and is too close to call.

BTW, CNN says Obama is still up, but his lead is cut in half.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin
If hillary somehow pulls off the nomination - i'll be voting for someone else. THe last thing this country needs is Hillary Clinton in the white house.

Really? Perhaps I misjudged you. There may be hope for you yet.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

To Andrew, BH and all the other obamaphiles here, tell me that you are not shocked and even a little hurt that your rock star isn't already blowing McCain away in the polls. Come on, you can be honest here ...

Wow, I will take the bait. Do you want me to tell you how disappointed and hurt I am? OK. I'm not disappointed with this selected poll because it does not reflect poll averages. We could have had a thread about the Quinnipiac poll and asked why Obama is still holding a lead after the forum when a lot of people feel that McCain came out on top. It's still spin. So you won't get any tears from me....

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hal9000

I was expecting to see a drop when Russia invaded Georgia. People will overreact and think "You know maybe McCain would be better". Then they will see their next paycheck and go to the store and see the rising prices, then think "You know maybe Obama would be better".

It goes in cycles and is too close to call.

BTW, CNN says Obama is still up, but his lead is cut in half.

It can (and is?) work just the opposite when people see the rising prices and think Obama will raise taxes on top of that. People realize that Obama has no economic background and will likely defer those issues to the already well-known tax and spend demos in Congress.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   

“He’s a bright young man, but he got ahead of himself,” McCain says. “He needs to be taught a lesson, and we’re the ones to do it. Have you seen the new Bloomberg poll? Obama’s dropped and we’re even again. The Bullet’s getting all the credit, but you and I know, Hillary, that it’s these top-secret counseling sessions we’re having. And thanks again for BlackBerrying me the Rick Warren questions while I was in the so-called cone of silence.”

Here it is, what we have all been waiting for,

Two Against The One

www.nytimes.com...

McCain lifts his glass to her admiringly. “If I do say so myself, while the rookie was surfing in Hawaii, I ate his pupus for lunch. Pictures of him pushing around a golf ball while I’m pushing around Putin. Priceless.”

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
That is what I have difficulty understanding as an outsider looking in.

I can't fully understand exactly what it is that Obama is supposed to be offering as a leader.

He has no military experience and no history of being a negotiator or a commander of any kind

He has little to no experience or promise to reconcile or repair the flailing economy

He has very little experience as a part of government in general, so he has little to no reference to guide him as a leader

His only plan for stimulating the American economy is to raise taxes

He claims to be for the common working class American, even though he is a spoon fed Harvard elitest with no real sense of what it is to be a working American (something he AND Mccain have in common)

Please, I am seriously wishing to know, other than being a strong public speaker and the first serious minority presidential candidate....WHAT EXACTLY DOES THIS MAN OFFER?

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

He offers CHANGE!

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

Considering that most polls have a 3-6% error rate. All this is telling me is......

they are still neck and neck. Your stretching it by trying to call it over a 9 pt, with an error is only 3 pt. leave.

You guys are really stretching it thin.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Two Against The One

www.nytimes.com...

That article is funny, no matter who side your on.

Jesse Jackson sticks his head into the meeting.

“Is it over?”

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 8/20/2008 by Hal9000]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Hal9000

Yea I liked that part too!

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join