It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what would you do if jesus turned out to be anordinary man

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by EagleTalonZ
Love was his entire base. And in that, we find peace, happiness, and a better way of life.

My understanding of scripture is that Jesus' entire base was who Love is.

Because he professed to "Love God with all your heart, mind, soul and strength" and to "To love your neighbour as yourself", he was killed by the worldly. This is because Love is God, and the ways of the world are not from God. Jesus died because of the world's resistance to God, who is Love.

Peace, happiness and a better way of life? Maybe, amidst the Passion of walking the narrow path of Christ, by taking up his cross and following.

Obviously, this would only make sense if you believe Jesus was from God, and not just an 'ordinary bloke'. Mind you, I can guarantee he walks and talks and breathes like any one of us.

My answer, it wouldn't be Jesus. It would be an ordinary bloke, half enlightened, half darkened, half confused, half deceitful, half dead, half living. Mortal. Partly seeing, partly knowing, partly deluded. Partly seeking, partly hiding. Fallen and lost. Wandering.

Jesus was none of these, and that's why his ministry was so short and potent - straight to the point with utmost devestation and precision, totally filled with the Spirit of God, complete and perfect in strength and capability to carry out the Father's Will through his life and death. Even when Jesus 'wandered' the desert, there was nothing lacking in Him, He was not lost. He could not be tempted away from God's path through that desert. He passed the test 100% first time.

For this he was hated and killed. The fact that the world killed him is testament to how devastating his Truth and Godliness were.

Just imagine when he returns undisguised - in full glory. Who will be able to stand in that day?

No ordinary man. The question just does not stand.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
ScienceData, Lighten uo my friend... I meant no offence to any of his followers, if that's what you believe in fair do's, your perogative.

I appreciate the sentiment. I will try to lighten up, as this is an exchange of ideas

You can insult me all you wish, call my wife a whore, even insult my mother, or Christians as a whole. But Christ is my king, and even if you think he was just some guy, I believe that his actions speak for themselves.

I see people who dishonor Christ often would not cross that line for others, such as Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela, or Muhammad. That is really wrong IMO.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ScienceDada

I assure you, I wouldn't dream of calling your wife a whore.
I have no intention of insulting anyone, and if I have I apologise.

As for critizising public, religious figures, I have done in the past and fully expect to do so again in the future!
A quick look at some my posts on Islamic subjects will show you that I have little, or no respect for Mo and his cohorts!

Read my post again, there was no criticism of Jesus or his message, but rather of those who came after him and twisted his message and deified him.

And for pain of repeating myself, read the OP:

'What would you do if Jesus turned out to ba an ordinary man?'

Well, I answered that honestly; I would treat him just like an ordinary man.

And dare I whisper this, that's what I believe he probably was, just an ordinary man who had a message of respect, honesty and love, shame it has been corrupted and manipulated into the awful business that Oganised Christianity is now.

Ultimately, I think it's all irrelevant.
No way of proving anything until we die.
So why get bogged down in rhetoric and dogma.
I try to live my life by a set of morals and values that precludes me from causing intentional hurt and disrespect to anyone.
Unfortunatley I frequently fail as I am merely human.

I don't need anyone to tell me what's right or wrong.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
go on lad, tell it like a true english man.

i did state the obvious, this is not a christan channel, this is a debate on what if.

you are the weakest link.
Good bye

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   

I assure you, I wouldn't dream of calling your wife a whore.
I have no intention of insulting anyone, and if I have I apologise... Read my post again, there was no criticism of Jesus or his message, but rather of those who came after him and twisted his message and deified him.

I was referring to calling Him "J Boy."

I would much prefer you called my wife or mother a whore than refer to Jesus as "J Boy" (and that is not BS, I am serious).

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Honestly mate, I suspect that Jesus would take much more offence at the hatred, suffering, inequality and many more odious happenings in this world than me calling hin J Boy; I suspect that would be way,way down on his agenda!

And if he was just an ordinary person, as in the OP's imagined scenario, why would he be offended?

For that matter, if he was The Son Of God, why would he be offended?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   

For that matter, if he was The Son Of God, why would he be offended?

He wouldn't be offended. He would weep for you.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by deathpoet69

While on earth He was "an ordinary man" Human=His title was 'son of man'

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Why would he weep for me?
What 'sin' would I have committed?
Using a friendly, nickname, some may even say a term of endearment, to greet him?

I really think 'The Son Of God' would have far bigger fish to fry than being upset or offended at me calling him J Boy.

Now, to the point, the OP's orginal scenario was 'what would you do if Jesus turned out to be an ordinary man'?
I really can't see where your problem is.
The OP did not ask 'what would you do if Jesus really was The Son Of God'.

Honestly, lighten up.

I suspect that some of Jesus's followers are a lot more sensitive than he ever would be and though I'm loathe to say it I see very little difference between your attitude and those of Mo's followers who advocate punishment for any perpetrators of any percieved slight on Mo and Islam.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Why would he weep for me?

For your pride and because you don't recognize the truth.

I suspect that some of Jesus's followers are a lot more sensitive than he ever would be and though I'm loathe to say it I see very little difference between your attitude and those of Mo's followers who advocate punishment for any perpetrators of any percieved slight on Mo and Islam.

I am not threatening you with death for your words. That is one HUGE difference.

You don't need to walk on egg shells to not offend me, but I just think that you don't address a king with slang. It is just simple respect in the presence of greatness. Even non-Christians recognize that Jesus may very well be the greatest "philosopher" who ever lived. So, "J boy" is just derogatory and unnecessary. This is not a threat, nor is it a demand... only a suggestion that disrespect is unnecessary, even to make a point.

I wonder openly: do you even question why someone like myself reacts so strongly to such disrespect? Perhaps I don't need to lighten up because I recognize that honor is given to whom honor is due. Perhaps you and most of modern society needs to be humbled a bit.

I remember being in California and the Vice President of South Korea came to visit the business where I worked. I was amazed as the streets were cleared, and everyone got quiet... then the motorcade arrived and the man came out. I was very impressed that regardless of how the man was perceived, that there was a significant amount of respect and dignity that was surrounding him because of his office.

Even political enemies are usually shown respect as a "worthy adversary" and treated as such. How much more worthy is "J Boy"?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   

I appreciate that you have not taken any personal offense, which is good as I assure you none has been intended.
In addition, no offence or insult has been aimed at Jesus or Christians in general.

The whole point of this thread is an imaginary scenario that you meet Jesus and it just so happend that lo and behold, he's not the Lamb Of God he's just ordinary Jo Soap Jesus, son of Jo The Carpenter.

In this, as unlikely a scenario as it maybe, what would you do?

My answer was that I would treat as anordinary guy, part of which is greeting him in a cheery and jovial manner, have a few beers, game of pool, a smoke and have a chat.
No insult, nothing.

It seems that you are having difficulty differentiating between a hypothetical scenario and some actual, real encounter with Jesus or a deliberate attempt at insulting the deity of someone's religion with the intention to provoke.

Maybe my likening this to death threats issuing from Islamic extremists was a tadge unfair, but there are definate similarities.

And at the end of the day, my point about Jesus being a little more concerned with all the world's ills I than me calling him J Boy is valid too.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   

The whole point of this thread is an imaginary scenario that you meet Jesus and it just so happend that lo and behold, he's not the Lamb Of God he's just ordinary Jo Soap Jesus, son of Jo The Carpenter.

Actually I think the real meaning was that the OP thinks that he might be Jesus, for real.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join