It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If we could go back in time and change one chapter in history what would it be?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I have not posted in this forum, and since it is for speculative posts, I'd like to give this one a try...

Scientists reveal that they have discovered a way to make a rip in space time, and we could actually travel back to any point in time here on Earth, but only ONCE!. An opportunity to rewrite history has made itself available to us, since it can only be done once, a decision is made to allow the public to write posts here detailing what point in time we should go back to, what we should change, and why.

The consensus wins!

So, what is it going to be?

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
The creation of the Pyramids, if we could go back in time and preserve their intellectual knowledge so that we could put this into practice and see what kind of world this would have been with their architectural technology....that's if WE Humans created this.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TheEnlightenedOne

Of all the things there are to choose from, why is this one so important?

What would it change for us now?

You could have gone back and assassinated Hitler, you could have rewritten ANY chapter in our history.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
yes, super deep concept. with way too many angels to comprehend.

i guess in a fairy tale idea, i would wish that our governing masses weren't corrupt and life didn't circulate around money.

but rather life circulated around creative ideas, knowledge, passing evolutions of wealth of knowledge to its predecessors - the on-going teaching of technology to the new and young to pass on to their next generation , and the concept of love. (how cheesy that all sounds i know...)

a world where people don't speed up while driving when they notice someone's just trying to navigate to where they're going... a society that's NOT based on status and greed.

[edit on 8/14/2008 by zooplancton]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
It probably would've changed the way we use our technology now, there were great minds at that time and were not used to create atomic bombs and the horrible things we have now. They were great mathematicians which as you already know is the key to everything.

They had an understanding of the Universe in ways we still don't know about, the Egyptians weren't the only ones with this type of knowledge but it relates to the same era.

Our civilization could have been more advance perhaps, but with that knowledge now lost, we created our own believes, our own methods that has gotten us in trouble instead. We will one day become the shadow of Atlantis, we will perhaps one day destroy ourselves.

All am saying is that technological advancement would have been different based on knowledge alone. (We can't even build a pyramid with the same specs as the ones still standing....we don't even know how.....and they did it with no sophisticated machinery) .... again, this is another topic because I don't believe they did it by themselves.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by zooplancton

Great thoughts, but what point in time would we choose and what event(s) would we change to get your desired results?

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
This is a bad idea. Star Trek proved it many times - you DON”T mess with the past. The whole “butterfly effect” is just staggering when you start messin’ with the past.

That being said, I think I’d like to go back in time and hit St. Paul with a brick or some other sharp, heavy object. . It would be interesting to see how Christianity would have developed without his nefarious influence. Would it have remained a minor cult in the backwoods of Palestine or would it really change things in a different (Better? Worse?) way?

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Alarmist2012

again, such a tough subject. i mean, what are you going to get out of changing something?

maybe Hitler inadvertently killed the future parents of a larger evil that would impose death upon millions? (in this case it would have been *good*? to have a hitler?)

i have to treat this thread with a LOT of respect!

my personal take? -- sometimes i wish i was adopted by someone else. other times i'm glad the way things have panned out.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
2004 American presidential election.

Id perhaps go to Roswell, with a camera and a jeep. In and out before the army showed up.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra
2004 American presidential election.

Why not go back to 2000 and make sure that all the votes actually count?

What would it be like now if Gore had been president?

If you could go back and stop the crucifiction of Christ, would you?

How about going back and showing early man our future, giving him all of our technologies, teach them everything.... We could be very advanced now, in the blink of an eye!

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by The_Alarmist2012

maybe this has already happened? eons ago, then man wiped himself out, then the process started over again.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Personally, I would have changed the national radio broadcast of "War of the Worlds" back in October 30, 1938. This broadcast caused a nationwide panic when people thought Earth was indeed being invaded by Martians. Because of this government officials deemed it "bad" to let the public know about life outside our planet.

My goal is to change the broadcast of "War of the Worlds". Perhaps the panic may have been avoided. Government may have changed their views and released information about extraterrestrials. Having a widely accepted knowledge that we are not alone might bring Earth in a new golden era of scientific discoveries and space exploration.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
maybe thats what the government wanted, panic so they could hide the real truth and look down on anyone why tries to spread the truth, the gov. might have even been behind the broadcast, who knows

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by passenger

So, you believe it is a bad idea to mess with the past, but you think its a good idea to mess with God? LOL!

What would have prevented God to redo the whole procedure all over again?

Maybe we can really interact with the past but it would be logical that the kind of energy we put in the process of changing something must be greater than the "energy" of the actual event we need to change. Currently there is no way to measure the energy we need to put in or the energy we are going to take out, or the energy we are trying to change, simply because we can't think this way. What if there is not even a limit to the energy of an event and we can't really measure the outcome since it maybe developing over time. Our minds are only able to understand time as a concept, we can't see it or feel it, we can not comprehend it. Maybe God can. So why mess with the Big Guy?

[edit on 22-8-2008 by spacebot]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I would go back in time when God had only created Adam and would have told Him to pay extreme attention when He would be about to create Eve!

LOL!

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I would go back to when Eve ate the forbidden fruit. Without the seven deadly sins much of what we want changed in the world wouldn't even exist in the first place. It would also mean that there would be no Christianity as Jesus would have never been sent.

This does create an interesting dilemna for Christians though. Would you rather that there was no sin or that there was no Jesus and thus no Christianity?

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
disgustedbyhumanity we posted roughly the same thing (idea) at the same time!
What were the chances of this happening in this type of thread?

wow!

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by spacebot

That is pretty funny. It would be a logical point as if she hadn't inbibed then we would all still live in a utopia.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
As many have pointed out, changing one event would have a "butterfly" effect on us today. Who knows if any of us would be here, if one event, no matter how seemingly insignificant, were changed. Ignoring that fact, though, a recent event that I would like to have stopped was 9/11. The world seems to have taken a decidedly wrong turn after that.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by disgustedbyhumanity

Indeed! But it seems she was designed with the ability to have a choice even if that choice would be bad afterwards. That means God wanted man to be autonomous without His constant intervention required. It didn't turned out very well, but this doesn't mean the problem cannot be reversed. Maybe this was the original idea! Anyway I don't like to take the thread out of topic.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join