It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Y2K A Dead Issue?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
In an old thread "William" posted this in a RATS thread:

Originally posted by William
Just realized... 2012 is the Y2K temporary fix. Rather than recode everything as was initially planned, 2012 is the real year date-reliant software now becomes in trouble. 99% of all Y2K software fixes were relatively simply dial-backs of reference dates.... the simple fix is that any two-digit year-code is assumed to be before 1/1/2012.

Interesting that they picked 2012.

Does anyone have more information on this? is his statement accurate?

this was the first time I have heard a connection between Y2K and 2012.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I'm a computer programmer, and have never heard of a 2012 issue. The next one I know of that could be an issue, is the unix time 'rollever' in 2038.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
That doesn't make alot of sense to me why that would be possible. The entire point of the Y2K scare was that alot of legacy systems were developed in an era when memory was precious. The reason for the problem was that many systems only accepted a 00-00-00 date format, and no one knew what would happen when it rolled over. If it wouldn't recognize a date format 1-1-00 why would it recognize 1-1-2012? I've heard highly speculative stuff that there was a fix put in some systems with various dates that would do the Y2K thing on various dates usually the triples and was kind of expecting discusion of one for 08-08-08.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
the next one will be Y3K

but in all seriousness, i doubt it will be a problem, funnily enuff i had an issue here at my work for some weird reason all the computers dates had changed they were 2 hours slow (approx) but set to 2013, no one noticed it untill someone tried to set an apointment calendar event in outlook and it kept giving them grief about it.
problem was easily fixed but i found it alittle odd

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Fathom

Hopefully John McCain can make it to 2012 (when his wife gets sent to the hospital after a handshake, you know youre old...).

I was just thinking about this subject and all the Y2K food Art Bell was pimping.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by pluckynoonez
reply to post by Fathom

Hopefully John McCain can make it to 2012 (when his wife gets sent to the hospital after a handshake, you know youre old...).

I was just thinking about this subject and all the Y2K food Art Bell was pimping.

yeah the McCains are so freaking old, i am just hoping for a well picked VP that can take over when McDaddy becomes too senile...(won't be long)
I remember the Y2K hype well and alot of people spent alot of money trying to become "prepared" something that us on the Survival forum do on a daily basis, if something like Y2K rears its ugly head we will be waaay ahead of the game.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Fathom

Funny, I actually still have two books about surviving Y2K. I kept them specifically for the survival info.
Great thread Fathom. Starred.
I'll be watching it.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
reply to post by Fathom

Funny, I actually still have two books about surviving Y2K. I kept them specifically for the survival info.
Great thread Fathom. Starred.
I'll be watching it.

girl, you need to come over and go bowfishing with me! it... is... such... a blast! you can stay with me, i am in bewteen roomies right now. oh and I have a spare bow and rig..

top topics

join