It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will you take The Pledge?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Will you take The Pledge?

There have been several threads recently that have pointed out the sad state of political discourse on ATS, most notably SkepticOverlord's thread titled "The Quadrennial Exploitation Of The Moronic Masses".

In it, he gives a list of trangressions that are giving him agita. To summarize, they are:

-*- mindless repetition of divisive spoon-fed political talking points

-*- patently false information about candidates presented as truth

-*- exaggerated disaster scenarios if one or the other is elected

-*- shameful racism

-*- shameful bastardization of candidate names

-*- shameful focus on personalities instead of issues

-*- pathetic fear mongering

-*- embarrassingly little focus on real, important, vital issues

Now, whether or not you agree with him that all these sins are being commited, or that they are all sins to begin with, the question remains, what can we do about it? After all, it is not nice to turn the remaining hairs on our beloved SO's head any more gray than they already are.

So what can we do? Simply, we can take a pledge to consciously avoid these tactics at all times. Now we are human, and prone to slip up on occasion, but that doesn't mean we can't try to clean up our act.

So, using SO's list, I propose that we take a pledge to personally avoid committing them.

I will be the first to take The Pledge. If I happen to break my word, I expect to be called on it. But any transgressions that *I* commit will be totally unintentional, trust me.

So here is my Pledge:

I, jsobecky, Pledge and Promise to do my part in making political discourse on ATS a thing to be proud of, and to maintain a civil tone in discussions in all areas, but most importantly in Decision 2008 and all other political forums.

To that end, I will consciously avoid using any of the following offensive tactics in my posts:

-*- shameful racism

If I do commit any of the aforementioned tactics, I will immediately admit it and apologize to any member I might have offended.

So, what do you say? Are you willing to take The Pledge?

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I, maxmars, Pledge and Promise to do my part in making political discourse on ATS a thing to be proud of, and to maintain a civil tone in discussions in all areas, but most importantly in Decision 2008 and all other political forums.

To that end, I will consciously avoid using any of the following offensive tactics in my posts:

-*- shameful racism

If I do commit any of the aforementioned tactics, I will immediately admit it and apologize to any member I might have offended.

EDIT to appease my verbose nature;

Thank you kindly jsobecky for initiating the pledge and making it an easy and simple commitment to make. And thanks SO, for pointing out the obvious and framing it in such a manner as to easily address it directly.

[edit on 13-8-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I, RuneSpider, Pledge and Promise to do my part in making political discourse on ATS a thing to be proud of, and to maintain a civil tone in discussions in all areas, but most importantly in Decision 2008 and all other political forums.

-*- shameful racism

I don't get involved in politics to often, at least not here on ATS, but I think this list can be applied to ANY topic on ATS.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I, dizziedame, Pledge and Promise to do my part in making political discourse on ATS a thing to be proud of, and to maintain a civil tone in discussions in all areas, but most importantly in Decision 2008 and all other political forums.

-*- shameful racism

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I, Andrew E. Wiggin, Pledge and Promise to do my part in making political discourse on ATS a thing to be proud of, and to maintain a civil tone in discussions in all areas, but most importantly in Decision 2008 and all other political forums.

-*- shameful racism

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Hello all,

Most of you may not know me. I am a relatively new member but I have been reading these boards at ATS for years, aka - a serial lurker. My user name reflects the fact that I am a news/current events, politics, food, menthol cigarette (cough) and Northern English ale junkie.
I have a certain political leaning and also support a certain candidate but I have to admit that it is because I feel like it is the best choice of the bunch. I read and listen to sources that are all across the political spectrum in order to keep informed. I am sick of total partisan loyalty, most of the loyalists will believe whatever seems to fed to them and will tow the line because it makes them feel empowered and part of the cool kids crowd.
ATS is unique in that this is a place that attracts ALL of the best thinkers out there and leaves the door open for other people to come in and change their own worldviews with some easy to navigate clicks on whatever interesting topics they choose. Some come here to pick fights with the worst type of sources and can't (or won't) ever attempt to see any other side of things other than what they prefer to see.
I love to discuss politics, especially at a place where I can be exposed to opposing viewpoints and wanted to spend a lot of time here enjoying the discussions instead of having to give up because of a bunch of "operatives" like to stir up the mud. Seems like the tides have turned a little over the last day or so and that impresses me even more about the quality of engaged posters with integrity that all of you are than anything else about this awesome site.
Hope to have engaging and interesting conversations with all of you soon.

I, Multiple Junkie, Pledge and Promise to do my part in making political discourse on ATS a thing to be proud of, and to maintain a civil tone in discussions in all areas, but most importantly in Decision 2008 and all other political forums.

-*- shameful racism

P.S. - Nice to meet all of you.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

I'll take the pledge.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Could you please give a link to the alleged So thread? It sounds like a hoot!

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   

JSO,

I dig the pledge, but to be frank I am not sure that the pledge parameters are realistic.

Reason being is that politics is not an objective realm.

10 - 4

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
no need to pledge here im automatically against all that crap, good call.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
While I think discussing anything BUT the issues of the election is retarded, I can not make any such promises as I love to "play" with the mudslingers. It is the highlight of my long boring days

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I took the pledge a long time ago.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by mental modulator

JSO,

I dig the pledge, but to be frank I am not sure that the pledge parameters are realistic.

10 - 4

Hey mm, you're right in a way but the issues are still objective, and can be even if you discuss them with a personal bias.

Originally posted by justamomma
While I think discussing anything BUT the issues of the election is retarded, I can not make any such promises as I love to "play" with the mudslingers. It is the highlight of my long boring days

Me too. But that's the challenge - to do it and remain civil.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Could you please give a link to the alleged So thread? It sounds like a hoot!

I'm not sure it was exactly 'a hoot' but then there's the age old adage:

"A hoot is in the eye of the beholder"

The Quadrennial Exploitation Of The Moronic Masses

Nah, some of it was a hoot! Near the latter portion however, a slow devolution occurred, and the political noise apparently resurfaced.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by mental modulator

JSO,

10 - 4

Well, we can still be objective despite the subject..., I think. Besides, this is more about recognizing the structure of our exchanges and making a sincere effort to avoid SO's 8 sins of political confrontation on the board.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I pledge to be myself with my true views on all subjects. I pledge to use my right to freedom of speech with in the T & C's of ATS. I pledge to be an individual with my own choices and consequences. I will be civil enough to hopefully not get banned, but opinionated enough to express my views and feelings on topics with passion. I will not use the race card for any reasons for I feel there is only one race and that's human. I pledge to laugh and cry with the rest of you.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I will take the pledge, with one exception.

I will still shamefully bastardize candidate names, because it is one thing that makes election season worthwhile.

So as you think about voting for McBush, or Osamabama, think again, and revolt instead.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I've already taken this pledge. Although not in the same words, this is the pledge I took when I became a member of ATS. This is the oath I swore to when I promised to "Deny Ignorance."

This is the model EVERY ATS member should follow, whether in the political realm or not.

I applaud you for drawing attention to this jsobecky, as I had not seen the thread you referenced either. This is a great example for everyone, especially some of our newer members.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I agree all the negatives you put in the pledge, jsobecky, are distasteful;
but they sure help in determining the class of your opponent and is very revealing about his/her character.

[edit on 14-8-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Solarskye

Oooh! I like that one! I'll take that one!
Good job!

(Actually, I took that one a long time ago, just not publicly.)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join