It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multiple Questions for Mods concerning Moderatorship

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Abide by the T&C's and contribute quality material to the board and one day when you sign on you'll see that you have a U2U. It will be from the Admin and say something like, "WE WANT YOU!"

When you see that, be afraid. Be very afraid

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock

In fact, I think that they are crazy to have decided that a crazy like me should be given such a responsibility...

On a more serious note, it's often those that don't seek power but get it thrust upon them that turn out to be the best leaders.

As far as your brainwashing... I suppose if you are going to be brainwashed by someone, being brainwashed by ATS staff and administration can't be half bad. I can't say that I've ever met a mod or staffer I didn't like.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

Be afraid huh? I think the only thing I truly fear is.... umm... disembowelment, so unless that's part of the initiation, I can't imagine it's too scary.

I was hoping the mods would answer questions, but I never imagined this thread would become so much fun.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Pfffft...

Originally posted by kinglizard
Please MM, no food or drink in the Board Business forum.

As if eating is going to be the problem... Precursor... Absolutely... But the problem?

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Okay then, pass the popcorn please.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Without going into the questions you asked, and my colleagues answered so well, I feel a better understanding is needed for the qualifications to be a mod.

You must be able to keep track, in your head, the gist of 20 or more threads. When a complaint comes in you need to have a working knowledge of the thread it's in. This means that any mother of four children under the age of 9, who can drive them to school while talking to the boss and making a grocery list at the same time, is a good candidate.

Past experience working in Wal Mart will go a long way in learning to cope with shuffling threads to the right forum, as it's much like putting items in order after the first day of Christmas shopping is over. Unfortunately, it's always the first day of Christmas shopping.

If you never got past the rank of PFC in the Army, despite four years of trying, you'll have a leg up on the job. The idea is, anything that goes wrong is your fault, you should have fixed it before it became a problem, and you were an idiot for letting it happen in the first place. Everybody will tell you this at one time or another.

Ex Marines have it especially easy as they're immune to being cussed out while standing at attention. This comes in handy when someone posts a thread about The Galactic Peacekeepers From Epsilon Erandi in the Other Current Events Forum, and you move it to Skunk Works. Some of our star brothers don't like being moved, and an ideological alignment with interstellar peacekeepers wont stop them from sending the offending mod a U2U that has language to make a sailor blush.

If you have ever spent any time as a referee for either mud wrestling or roller derby, you will be able to work comfortably in the Political Forums, should you be chosen, while past experience working mental wards will help you in many of the others.

Specific knowledge of any subject is actually a mark against a mod. It would bring the wrath of half the board down on us if we claimed to know something, as many poster know they alone hold all the answers.

The ability to sit at a desk for hours consuming fortifying beverages may not be a requirement, but is sure to be a habit you soon learn to need.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I have a question..

Why would anyone in their right mind want to be a mod here?

I looked, and at one time and you had 500 members online at once, you have a very large number of forums, and god only knows what kind of crap you have to deal with here on a daily basis.

Too much fun just being a member.

Why spoil it with hard work?

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Ya know, as a former Mod, I have insight into the very Cosmic center of the world you seem so interested in. I also feel no bounds of loyalty either, so you can U2U me any sensative questions you want honestly answered.

Mods are twitching nervously even though they'll never let on.

Cuhail

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Alarmist2012

You answered your own question.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I thought promotions were based on the Dilbert Principle.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

So the gist of what you're saying is be incredibly good at multi-tasking, have skin as thick as rhino, and be prepared to be the fall guy when things go wrong?

Sounds like day at work..... lol.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuhail

Thank you very much sir. I may just take you up on that offer. That is, if you are sincerely offering, and not just attempting to make the mods as nervous as possible for the sheer fun of it.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Good information, good laughs. I've been curious about some of that stuff myself and didn't dare ask.

(Well, I did once but Semper wanted more money, just don't tell him I said so).

Great thread!

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
This question might seem rhetorical... so answer it or don't. How do you muddle through the days when ninety percent of the threads/posts are poorly written, and have poor responses to boot.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Heike

I weighed the risks, and I figured that I asked them in an open, honest way, I wouldn't be looked upon as a pest. Hopefully that's how they're viewing me at the moment as opposed to brash and daft.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Osiris1953

You'll be wasting any money Big C tries to get for information.

Remember the "flashy thing" from MIB? Admin has one and they like using it.

[edit on 12-8-2008 by NGC2736]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

Good to know. I don't like bright lights (much like a Furby), and I intend to keep all of my memories intact. So on second thought I might reconsider that U2U. Thanks for the warning.

[edit on 12-8-2008 by Osiris1953]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Well, the poor spellers are really our favorites. The game is to take a badly spelled post, and see how many sentences you can construct using only the "wrong" letters. Depending on the post size, this can be more fun than scrabble.

The losers generally have to buy the next round.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Why do I suddenly have a dozen U2U's from staff?

Hey Osiris, if you disappear I promise I'll start an RIP thread for you before they get me.

Well, I'll try anyway.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Alarmist2012
I have a question..

You get a taser and a cattle prod. When things get too insane you get to shoot yourself with one or the other. After you've recovered you mod a little more.

The admin also sends you free coupons for antacids. 10% off on Pepcid, whats not to love?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join