It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want To Find ATS Members In Large Scale Blackout?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Well it could be good survival sense to acquire a good CB RADIO. Yes... CB RADIO!

In times when there's no other way to "get out" a CB during "Scatter", "Skip", "DX" can get you out all over the world. A radio with SSB / LSB / USB is the way to go such as a Cobra 148 GTL.

There's a channel where a lot of international traffic calls out just to find out if they are heard long range. It's on the "Lower Side" of channel 38, or "38 LSB".
The conditions in the ionosphere have to be just right so it might take days or maybe a week or two for you to hear obvious foreign/interstate stations.

Perhaps yelling out "CQ DX! Alpha Tango Sierra-pickauniquenumber, Location!"

For example "CQ DX! CQ DX! Alpha Tango Sierra five five three, Omaha Nebraska trying!"

"Alpha Tango Sierra" would just indicate ATS.

Never know who you'll reach in the right conditions!!!

With solar max coming up, the "skip" will be POUNDING, prolific and frequent!!! 2012 should be an amazing year for "DXing!"

You could go a step further and acquire a HAM radio set. License or not it won't matter if there's no government to stop you from operating. Even though CBs with channel modifications can go to 27.555 Mhz, a ham set with surely be heard due to 20 times the power, easily.

The ATS / Alpha Tango Sierra prefix should be a clue to other members!

[edit on 11-8-2008 by Atlantican]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by trusername

The obvious and easiest way for people who want to find each other if something should happen is to forget about using the mail box, phone, or computer at all since everything could very well be in disarray. Come up with a plan that involves meeting places and some type of color everyone who shows up should be wearing. Or perhaps they could wear some type of bracelet or merely if you want to be real obvious pull out a white t-shirt and write “ATS” on the front and back. If everyone wears the signal that they are a member on their body once at the meeting place there will be no confusions, only introductions.

The problem with this plan is 1) what if you are the only member in your area that shows? 2) Say something really, really big happens and we all need to mobilize? Should we then mark a few key destinations that once grouped together we should work towards meeting at, eventually picking one more place that the whole lot of us would meet at?

Interesting suggestion, look forward to reading more ideas on this.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Atlantican

Alpha Tango Sierra - even I can remember that! Maybe many could try sometime this year? I'd have to buy one. Is it like a conference call or can only 2 people connect at a time?

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by rapinbatsisaltherage
forget about using the mail box, phone, or computer at all since everything could very well be in disarray.

Ya beat me to it
Chatter of hams and CB's is picking up in the thread, so I was wondering if I had the wrong idea about what this thread "blackout" consisted of. I think blackout I think there's nothing to turn on!!

But when it comes down to it, and worse came to worse, no matter how I came across another ATS'er, I'm pretty sure I would be welcoming of them, if for nothing else than the premisis of simply identifying with another after calamity.

[edit on 11/8/08 by Misfit]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

Oooooo, taking the cemetery idea of p. 1 to a new level. Say after 48 hours of a black out you meet in the local cemetery at noon. After 2 weeks? a month? there are major city meet ups... at the ? hmm City Hall isn't great. And many cities have their cemeteries in the suburbs. Where could you meet?...

One nice thing about the cemeteries is that you could leave (tasteful) signage, info for latecomers... and it probably wouldn't be disturbed.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Its like the old yahoo chat rooms only over the airwaves and no ips to track lol!
It's a free for all and sometimes its rather cluttered up to the point where only the loudest stations are understandable. The thing is if / when the population is "thinned" out by either death or lack of equipment / power it would be much easier to hear individuals. You have to grow your "radio ears" by practicing.

Look up videos from youtube of "DX Super Sunday" to see a good example or search for "27.555" in youtube.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
If you have a car or back up 12 volt source like a jumper pack from your local hardware store a cb would last hours on it. Even a walkie talkie could possibly work.
reply to post by Misfit

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Misfit

I was originally thinking of a situation without the internet for say ... 2 months or longer. Maybe it would be state wide or country wide but the problem would be a serious failure in communications. Maybe dishes and phones wouldn't work either, but since we don't have ATS member's phone #s, that would be more of a problem for reaching your friends and family.

A blackout with no electricity at all would be even worse, but still have the same issues re ATS. I think 2 months without electricity in the entire US would be a huge situation. I work with people in Mississippi who had months without electricity after Katrina, and there were those who could move and those who just had to wait it out.

If there was no where better to move easily, the ATS issue would probably be pushed aside till people learned to cope with the immediate daily life issues. And then, I'm guessing people would start to look again to communities like ATS. UNLESS a type of oppression was enforced quickly, in which case ATS people might not wait for a new day to day rhythm before they tried to find each other. Just a guess.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Atlantican

Thanks! And Youtube! How are we going to cope with out youtube. Not only the viewers, but imagine if you'd gotten amazing footage of what had caused the blackout.

That's it! I think everyone should meet at the MAIN LIBRARY in major cities at noon. The all have one and probably have generators and A/V equipment for people to bring their videos! And libraries are the original googles. Ugh, research without Search fields... the agony!

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Two months without internets. Yikes!

You'll find me running down the street in my skivvies and a tie tied around my head, with a broken ethernet cable in one hand, throwing my own poop at people with the other, yelling at shadows and Bill Gates. And that's after just a couple of days.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
The pin idea was pretty good except maybe we could do something such as the Masons? They usually wear very nice rings with the Masonic symbol on it, we could do that with some sort of symbol, might be expensive though

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
great thread great thoughts and i agree a way to find like minds if we are cutoff from eachother here should be of paramount importance to us..... barring a tatoo or a symbolic article of clothing I.e. a ring comes to mind or a pendant i think atsers will be fairly easy to spot if you know where to look.... like say looting electronic stores for parts to build transmitters radio broadcast equipment or out in the woods hiding in caves and out croppings

seriously though the founders should design an awsome ring or pendant we could some how get our hands on any type of symbol really that could help us identify one another.... but how to keep them out of the hands of trolls is important aswell

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
This is a really awesome idea.....

I think that when you start assigning colors, places to meet, etc. things get complicated out of the gate because you are almost definitely going to either create confusion and/or leave someone out. I almost always miss the memo. Maybe the disaster happens and you can't get home to put on that grey speckled red t-shirt you put away for the occasion. Maybe whatever the disaster would be would prohibit or at least discourage any kind of formal meeting at an obvious central location? I live in a rather large urban area and there are like a bizillion large cemeteries.

Maybe we could start by somehow figuring out just where the concentration of members is. Could there be any practical way to create a demographic of current members? Mods? Maybe someone could start say the Columbus, Ohio thread which would hopefully cause Columbus, Ohioians
to follow the thread and they could sort of come up with their own unique plan...and then once that is organized bring it all together. ...and then of course the MIB trace all of our IP's and....... j/k

Seriously, how do you organize without being potentially wiped out for organizing? Forgive me but this is a conspiracy site and paranoia is an asset

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Ohh come on what are we going to do give each other high fives, say i told you so, and then argue about what theory blacked us out?

In a time of crisis it is time to survive not chat about it.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by glad_to_be_His

Brilliant! Grassroots ATSing - maybe you could have both a "plan" and a "plan no work" scenario.

And I'd think you might want to establish subgroups before meeting as well. Because ATS is so vast, many great thinkers but varying interests.

So you have ATS members per area.

And then ATS Forums subgroups per area.

[edit on 8/11/2008 by trusername]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

Count me in. I like the meeting place idea. Depending on the scale of the "happening", we could have a local meeting place and then go as a group to a state designated location. If necessary, we could have a regional location and a national location. There should be agreed upon conditions that must be met in order to designate how far on the location scale we should go. A blackout, for example, would initiate a local meeting. A mass alien appearance, however, might require a state level or regional level meeting if communication lines go down.

I also like the idea of an ATS lapel pin.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Aislin

I agree. Hmm, but then if you're cut off you might not know what is happening. For example, say you think you're just experiencing a black out. You can see it's local. You hear it's regional or state / county / province wide (however each country divides). But you don't know that it's national and that it's actually an alien attack and the black out is a symptom not the cause... hmm

This is tricky. Maybe we should build a really big megalith and meet on the solstice... oh wait, that's been done

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   

I was thinking the same thing, maybe a place that ATSer's plan to meet at, and also along with the radio frequency idea. maybe we can all get secret tattoo's to prove we are the real deal..lol
IDK, but thanks this is an interesting and fun thread for a change, i am sure we will get some interesting idea's before too long.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
We'll know one another by the tin foil hats and bubble wrap suits, of course.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Aislin

Of course, since most of us online now are not experiencing anything particularly eventful at the moment, we could think up a system to grade "an event."

Those who want to keep things uncomplicated could browse and if so inclined ignore it. I see the beauty in trusting in the organic meet up of ATSers after an event.

Others who find comfort in planning, whether pins or rings or Tshirts or hand signals or ham radio Alpha Tango Sierra calls... We have already quite a few ways to find each other here.

You could even double up. Let's say you're in a crowd that has been surrounded by a paid army. (I'm just thinking out loud) You don't like the looks of this, and you glance around you. Most of the people are either unaware or compliant. Some seem to be looking wary and a few are fighting it. I, personally, would work my way over towards the wary looking people. Some might move towards the fighters. Some might move away.

Once I was near the wary people, what then? Do I start doing hand signals? I might not have my pin or ring, as has been mentioned. But I could play with my wedding ring.

If you don't have your special decoder ring
you could play with your ring or play with your lapel if you don't have your pin... And if any one notices you - then you try the hand signal as a back up?

Then of course there's the problem of ... ok that makes 2 of us... now what
But at least you're 100% more free thinkers than a minute ago and there's strength in numbers.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join