It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is NO possible way to survive a U.S. Russian Nuclear war!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Alarmist2012

I try to stay as optimistic as possible

I was staying on topic too, I just have a different view on the way things are..

Sorry for sharing, Ill shut up now.

[edit on 11-8-2008 by IMAdamnALIEN]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by IMAdamnALIEN

Oh don't do that, you are welcome to say anything you want here, I appreciate your input as you can see in that post, I just don't believe that they will save us... I could be wrong you know.... I am human.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

The fall out wouldnt necessarily kill you. Do you know how to calculate fallout? Alot of times it depends on the initial wind direction...

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
There have been several anonymous posts to this thread, and I haven't seen one show up yet. Why is that?

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThreeDeuce
way to go pessimist.
Some people have faith.
And I doubt that Russia's nukes will irradiate 100% of our nation.

I also doubt that all the nukes in the country will be released.

But, you can fantasize/nightmare whatever you want.

You gotta get burned to really know.

Here in Toronto 2 nights ago a propane plant blew up, I was 7 km away from the explosions and felt the blast hit the garage door, it was very loud, people reported their windows shacking from 14 km away.

If a small propane factory can do that, I don't even want to know what the nukes can do.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Alarmist2012

Um hate to burst your bubble but you are lost. This is the Survivalist forums. Here is a link to the proper forums for your post

Skunk works

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I don't know what it is, but I swear that there are a rather alarming number of people that would love a disaster of this scale. You can almost sense them grinning in anticipation of such a horrible disaster. You see it on a small scale every day. People love for a horrible storm to come through their area, or get pumped about a hurricane. It's a weird human trait, I'm not sure where we got it. Perhaps we need conflict to feel alive, and we have such different types of conflict now, than when we had to fight to survive.

But on these boards, I've seen many who seem EAGER for a war. They love to predict it, because they want it. It's puzzling to me really. I don't want a war, and I hope that the leaders of our countries are smart enough to realize that a nuclear war would be the greatest folly in the history of mankind.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Just a pic of me on my way to hunt 6 eyed squirrels post WW3

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Guys... I have said it in other threads i'll say it here:

Nuclear War would be a lovely way to go compared to the real scenario...

The day of the ICBM's is Over... we have been working on missile defense for 22 years and we gave up starwars and opted for directed energy weapons... so of course, did Russia

The vast majority of the Nukes will never go off... they run on extremely sensitive timers and precision guidance systems...

We have the capacity to stop them..I am fairly certain, before they even begin the decent... That's why Russia is so pissed at our traditional Missile defense systems... they aren't for Iran... They are for The shielded Nuclear Missiles that actually make it through...

What we are going to get is handfuls of Nukes that make it from both sides... lots of cities destroyed but not all...not utter devestation, just a post apocolyptic nightmare of irradiated quarantined zones...

Then it goes conventional and post Nuke... Bio warfare, actual troops and land forces...

A mightmare of enemy combatants just like in georgia except with limited nuclear strikes and disease everywhere...

utter chaos that people will endure for years until the capacity to maintain it finally runs out entirely...

Nuclear war would be fun compared to the limited nuclear war scenario we face in a POST MAD world...

It is in the end... wishful thinking that we'd have an afternoon of massive explosions and then a few weeks waiting for the radiation to die down enough to emerge...

No... the world Missile defense systems of which there are many and of many kinds... is a far worse war reality of nukes occasionally sneaking through off and on over years, radiation clouds, quarantine zones, burning citiesm riots, starvation, endless waves of troops until no one can fight any more...

It will be a living nightmare and one most of us won't get the pleasure of dying quickly in.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Hi Folks,

I actually think there could be a conventional war between NATO and Russia without using strategic or tactical nuclear weapons. Everyone here seems to be forgetting that a war would be a NATO operation and not just the US.! Plus...lets not forget China!

If NATO stay this side of the Russian border then I see no reason for a hypothetical war to go nuclear, land wars would be faught across Eastern Europe. I honestly think that the only reason a war could go nuclear would be if Russia's own land was threatened, the bear would be backed into a corner with only one way out!
I think all this talk of this particular situation with Georgia is just pure alarmism.

I also disagree with the post title. There is a way to survive a nuclear war...........Bunkers. COG facilities across the world would mean that some would definitely survive. Millions of others would survive in caves, deserts, rainforests, population centres far from military targets, at sea etc.
We'd probably struggle more here in the UK, population density and strategic target density are much higher than in the US, even Scotland would be heavily targetted due to the many strategic facilities up there. I reckon Spain would be a nice place to get to before the keys get turned! :-)

But it's not going to happen this time...maybe one day, but not this time.

Cheers

Robbie

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I seem to recall reading an article a little while ago about the missile shield that the US is working on over there by Russia. Not sure if this is verified as fact or not, but it was some Russian military person (not sure who), stating that in another 15 years time give or take, Russia would lose the ability to carry out a Retaliation on the US in the event of a first strike.

So think about that really, US launches a first strike, and the missile shield would be enough to take out anything Russia could shoot back. Scary thought if you're a Russian i'm sure.

As far as survival of a all out nuclear exchange, I recall looking at target maps and fallout patterns from the 80's, southeast Oregon in the US is one of the few places in the US you could survive pretty much unharmed. Prevailing wind patterns would disperse fallout all around but not in that particular area. There are almost zero targets in the area as well.

take a look at this You will survive doomsday

Have read through that, and truthfully it has a lot of good advice.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I've worked security for nuclear weapons and you can learn a lot talking to the maintainence guys. mopusvindictus has the most accurate scenario though it should be noted that every weapon with intercontinental capabilities is launched in a mirv configuration. The days of single warhead long-range nuclear missiles are long gone. Hence why the US wants to build a missile shield so close to russia itself, so it can target mirv outfitted missiles before the separation stage, which would be far too late. Combined with chaff and decoys no current missile defense system would stand a chance of destroying incoming warheads.
Unlike the old days nuclear war scenarios have become much more realistic and combined with the arms reductions of US and USSR (i'll stop calling them USSR when they stop acting like USSR) the most likely scenario would be targetting a nation's major agricultural areas and major seaport cities to effectively starve the population. Next targetting tier are major economical centers.
I can't answer for the USSR but for the US, targetting of it's launch facilities is highly unlikely, simply because our missile fields are huge. We used to have to respond to alarms at silos in helicopter, and often we would live in modified trailers with our own cook for days at a time. Once you get past the sheer size of US missile fields you have to consider how very well built the silos themselves are. A best hope scenario would be rendering 25% of a missile field unable to retaliate unless you hit it with multiple, overlapping mirv strikes.
The point is, both nations would face slow starvation, but a full nuclear exchange by both nations would be very survivable. Much more so by the United States since we would only receive a small portion of USSR's nuclear attack. Most people in the nuclear community know that the majority of their arsenal is designed for short-range strikes versus their European adversaries.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   
There are some serious things to think about that I guess you all should Know

1: If you survive the blast and heat and aren't in a ground zero situation your going to survive.

IF

You know how to deal with the radiation

For starters, you can only drink bottled or contained water, the radiation will NOT irradiate water only the fallout will, so if it's sealed and you clean the top and sides before drinking the water will be just fine, any outdoor water will for a very long time be contaminated (not itself) but by irradiated particulates. Keeping of bottled water will probably the single biggest factor in your survival

Another important aspect of dealing with fallout will be how you walk out of it or live under it.

If your in a house you must be aware that the radiation will eminate from the particles for X distance and that distance will shrink over time. Staying away from walls and cielings that have fallout on them is of extreme importance i.e if your in a bunk bed near a cieling that has fallout on the roof those first days...you may well be irradiated and the person underneath you not irradiated...

even contaminated water would be far better to hose the house down outside with of fallout rather than let it sit and irradiate you through the walls and floor.

If you don't have a filter system... or a shelter and outside air will of course seep in... a few of those ionic breezes can actually do Wonders for clearing the air of particulates... it is no absolute solution but... it wil reduce what your breathing

If your close enough to a blast where the fall out is so heavy nothing normal as a filter will do any good at all and there is no way to clean your home or you have blown open doors etc that can't be sealed... your going to have to leave...

You CAN just walk out of a fallout zone and a days exposure if handled correctly should be something if you were not irradiated from the blast you can survive...

Masks be they makeshift or the kind that you get at a paint shop or better army surplus will do fine, you want to filter as much as humanly possible from enetering your body, remember it;s the radiation eminating from the particles not the air that's dangerous... the les you breathe in the better off you will be, so every one wraps there face even if all you have is scarves...

Like wise visine to flush your eyes or googles better yet are very importnat... goggles should be taken off and shaken free of dust with eyes closed very regularly because particulates will accumulate on top of them...

same goes for hats and coats etc, etc

within the first day or so the majority of the particles particularly the heaviest wills ettle to the ground... this won't take long at all... i is at that time you should walk from the zone you are in, Not in the first 12 hrs particularly when the air is thickest...

If you have small children place them on your shoulders, the heaviest particles will settle and even in the first 2 days the radiation factor wil be only a couple of feet from the ground... an adult may well be able to walk 50 miles with far less exposure than a child who's whole body would be exposed to radiation from the ground... so get all children anyone 4 feet tall and under up on those shoulders they are the most vulnerable...

Next, although it is small help... feel free to strap on wood planks, or anything to give the bottom of your feet distance from the particles and dust settleing...when you walk your going to stir it up and get it on your shoes where it will irradiate you through your feet...

In the first days you will Not be able to avoid some exposure , as I said the radiation will travel for feet, but we are dealing with a Half life here... in days 4 feet will be 2 feet and in a couple of weeks 6 inches and agfter that an inch or 2 at best...

But even at peak you dont want the stuff covering your feet, Boards or anything you can think of to stop from actually stepping on the stuff with your shoes, plastic bags carried inside your coat to change every few miles will help stop the accumulation also...

in fact disposable plastic you can shed and replace so you never take your clothes off is a great item...

walk in the direction you can best ascertain as being safest... the shortest possible distance... if you can cover 4-5 miles an hr... a 12 hr trek can get you as far as 50-60 miles in half a day...

a Good bicycle is great in these situations as most cars will no longer run from the EM... they can seat children above the ground... and you can go 2-3 times faster...

again just be sure to be extra sensitive about covering your mouth and nose as good as possible because you will breath harder and have the potnetial to absorb far more particulates

Potassium Idodide Will work... against fall out, not Radiation itself so I listed all the above precautions first

But with that said.. if you have to walk your way through fallout... the situation the vast majority of people will find themsleves in... you will want some potassium Iodide around... a single dose is good for about 24 hrs and you should consult specific guidlines for age and weight etc, etc. But even a few doses 2-3 days walking away from the fallout zone should suffice to get you clear in most cases or at the least to faster transport to cover any remianing distance...

It will NOT prevenmt you from being irradited from actual radiation from particulates wich will be by far the most deadly just for the first two weeks... I don't know exact statistics but within that time frame I Think your looking at 1/2 1/4 inch at best from the surface of most particulates bad if injested but alot easier to clear...

Possesion of a gieger counter or two is Huge... if you can survive or stay sheltered or walk out...you going to need to clear particulates from where you set up camp and be able to detect when small amounts of fresh particulates start to acumulate, you cant take the iodide forever...

so a Gieger counter will save your life... if you have to set up a tent, knowing you have cleared the ground under it properly will in a weeks time save your life if you have, lay at night with a thin sheet seperating you from radiation and be prepared to die, so I can't stress how important a gieger counter will actually be... you shouldn't have to clear more than a hlaf inch of dirt from your camp spot... but knowing you got every spot will be a matter of life and death

Blast... your highest pre fallout exposure to radiation will be from the blast which will last for seconds...

Whatever you do..if your in times like urm... Now... when a Bomb potentially might go off... if you hear any explosion, train your self and your family to:

A: Not look!
B: Immeadiately jump behind the hardest rock or metal object in your home, knowing where rock walls are, the way to the basement or even where, the nearest metal beam in the wall of your house is might save your life if your not in the blast zone... but plan ahead to know where you stand

Finally given short time and limited water supplies that can be carried... here's a trick...

Know where the nearest large caverns to your home are, particularly any that have water in them... The rock walls of any decent cave should well porotect you from any blasts and the water below is filter from the surface in some cases it could be weeks or even months after fallout... or Never, that water with radiated particulates seeps into the cave... Caves also tend to pull very limited air from the outise and again it may be passing through all sorts of antural filtration, in any event unexposed to winds the particulate count in any cave will be far lower than anywhere outside...

Buying yourself 2-3 weeks before you have to move again may also very well save your life

Remember the radiation will be outside for decades, but strong only for a couple of weeks

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 04:52 AM
link   
I've read your post and I also know the numbers that each side admits that they have in thier respective arsanels.

In this day and age, do you really think that a nuclear war will happen. I doubt it. A new cold war is, to me, more of a possiblity. Russia has money again and the sabre rattling has begun.

Georgia was Russia flexing it's muscles a bit to let us all know they are back on the international stage in a big way.

All out nuclear war?? I won't happen.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 05:20 AM
link   
I'm glad someone finally said it...there are alot of people ive came across in various threads on here that seem to think they can survive if there were ever a 3rd world war.
some people don't seem to understand that if Russia and the US ever declared war on the other,the only question is who is mad enough to pull the trigger.The bombs they have today are 500+ more powerful than those used in hiroshima and nagasaki and if one nation were to launch just one of these missiles against the other,then a full launch is the only option because neither of the two Nations will risk total Annhilation.heres a link for anyone interested in nuclear warfare> en.wikipedia.org... This is an excerpt(i think i spelled that wrong..however>> Even the most optimistic predictions of the effects of a major nuclear exchange foresee the death of billions of civilians within a very short amount of time; more pessimistic predictions argue that a full-scale nuclear war could bring about the extinction of the human race

[edit on 12-8-2008 by defcon2

[edit on 12-8-2008 by defcon2]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Well I'd say that people in South America, Africa, and Western Australia would pretty much be able to carry on, albeit sourcing their fuels differently, and maybe reverting back to late 1800's style life.

South Western Ireland has no viable nuclear targets, so it may be possible to live there too. Its where I'll be heading if possible as its the nearest "haven" I can think of.

Admittedly most of the Northern Hemisphere would be screwed.

However, as has been pointed out, the politicians aren't as stupid. They know the consequences of such an action. No amount of national pride is enough to justify hundreds of smoking ruins where cities used to be.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 05:32 AM
link   
If you are smart and do your homework and aren't in a major city or near a target you can absolutely survive a full scale exchange... with a bit of preperation

There is always a way

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 05:57 AM
link   
great post and replies I must say.

Thered be no winner here in the nuke game.(all out attack useing them)

I assume If the Soviets did do all all out attack with nukes,they'd also have to hit our allies as well with a lot,,this could creatng a domino effect with other countries (china,india,pakistan)..

Not to mention we got bases all over the world.
And a hell of a navy armada and our great air force.

Its to impracticle to even contemplate an all out war.

I dont beleive china wants to nuke us in the least,,,they got to much invested here in the US.
I dont think the russians do either and the feeling is mutual.

A little coffe talk:::
I have a good friend from there,,he said if the US bombers dropped passport/US citizenship papers the country would be empty overnight.
And also noted that there army is full of drunks,drug addicts and corruption.

There main power is there subs and nukes...

And hypothiticly speaking "MANY" many peaple in 3rd world countires would die as well,,,,from no more medicines,food aid,vacinations on diseases,,etc...

This would affect even the neutral countries....

What worries me more if an accident happens,,I remember back(what was it?),,in the 60 or 70's a b17 bomber carring a nuke and crashed and 2 outta the 3 triggers went off,,,

Or the russian nuke sub(the widow maker) sank off our coast and almost blew up,,,the commander of the sub knew it woulda triggered ww3

another thing is missing enriched plutonium from russia and the missing nuke breif case bombs(theres a few of them missing),,,
there not really breif cases, there the size of a huge trunk with considerable weight.

So if this stuff lands in the hands of a terrorist it makes it worse,,,,
only retaliation that can be done is to go blow up a training camp,,,,?????????

The main problems are the terrorist in afganistan and pakistan and iran,,,saudi's have some cells there to..

Id call afganistan more of a territory than a country,,
there in the dark ages the way they think..
sickning how they treat their women in some of those arab countries..
the soviets had a hell of a time there,,,.

sorry to be off topic and pardon my spelling..

molly

This is kinda shocking to me,...

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Look.

On a TV a few years ago now there was a series about a nuclear war with china and the us over taiwan. so many nukes had been used that the irradiated air was killing all life on earth. wher ever this radiated air went all life dies apart from trees and plant life.

Can this actuallly happen? And if so how many nukes? I dont want a nuclear freakin war. It's stupid to kill people. We are all the same. We are all human. Apart from the stupidity of religious belief that has plagued the world and which poeple think should be enforced on others, we should all try to get along as best we can.

I pray that we dont end up in a nuclear war with anyone. I pray noone does. How is that progress? really? tell me? HOW IS WAR PROGRESS????

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I think this thread is a bit crazy, just read the newest NEXUS Magazine and you'll see everything is gonna be fine.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join