It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cigarettes Aren't Always 'The Bad Guy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I thought this was a very interesting article, and gives some good advise regarding wilderness medicine when a doctor or proper medication may not be available. I encourage everyone to read it that enjoys camping out and being self-sufficient in an emergency situation. A link to the full article is provided at the bottom of the post.

Planning for a great backwoods camping trip, a vacation that involves visiting a third world nation, or just a hike or climb in a remote area? Don't become a victim of overly optimistic planning: be sure to plan for possible emergency situations--such as getting lost, becoming trapped, or getting injured--and ensure your survival.

Survival medicine is what you have to be prepared to practice, when no other medical option exists for the treatment of disease, wounds, or injuries. When things don't go quite as planned on a camping trip or hiking/climbing excursion, the odds go up significantly that you will encounter wounds, skin infection, intestinal parasites, or burns. Here are three realistic survival situations in which you'll be glad you had a cigarette with you.

Full Article

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
YES!!!

i knew there a was a reason i smoked. it's for my survival.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Good post. I love seeing topics like this that validate my choice to be a smoker (in Sit-X or any other day).

Probably the most useful of those three from the article is as a compress for a damaged tooth. Nothing will make you want to lay down and die like a toothache, nothing. Intestinal parasites should not be a concern if you cook your food well, and applying pressure is usually enough to stop bleeding but remedies for toothaches are few and far between when you're out in the timber.

Cigarettes are also useful for starting fires - I keep the reflector from a $1 flashlight in my go-bag along with a couple cartons of smokes - the hole in the reflector that usually accommodates a bulb fits a cigarette perfectly. Hold your head up to the sun and puff a little - voila, you have fire! The reflector works with tinder of any sort, but I prefer cigarettes.

For those of us who smoke, cigarettes are better than valium with a vodka chaser when it comes to calming nerves and reducing stress. I think they're worth their weight in gold for that reason alone. People underestimate the stresses involved in a survival situation, they seem to think that with the right kit, they can breeze through any apocalyptic scenario without breaking a sweat.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that just isn't so. Depression, nerves, and fear will cripple you if you don't take proactive steps to stave them off. Keeping your head about you and breaking through the emotional barriers to survival are absolutely vital if you expect to make it.

Also, it needs to be mentioned that when bartering, cigarettes are extremely valuable, with a higher weight-value ratio than just about anything else. The only problem is their relative bulk, even though they're not heavy, they take up a fair bit of space in the rucksack. Still, I had plenty of extra space in mine, and figured they were the best choice. I may change my mind and go with rolling tobacco, but it's a tradeoff - store-bought cigarettes come in that nifty plastic-wrapped package, and you don't have to carry rolling papers or anything like that. I dunno - still rolling it around in my head.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Nice post. I enjoy a good smoke here and there, and always thought cigarettes were much-maligned for political, rather than health, reasons. IMO it's the papre and drying chemicals, not the actual tobacco, that is unhealthy, but that's a whole other thread.

I would keep roll-your-own packs for survival situations, because they are less bulky and generally come vaccume packed, so they'll be fresher longer.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by WyrdeOne

A can of tops tobacco will take up a lot less space in your pack, and has a lot more tobacco than a couple cartons of cigarettes. Plus they are sealed better so it stays fresher, longer. Just makes it a pain to do your reflector thing.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I have been using tobacco to draw out the stinging sensation that is left behind by many insect bites now for years. Glad someone thought to post the positive aspects of tobacco as I never thought to do so myself. Good post

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by justamomma
I have been using tobacco to draw out the stinging sensation that is left behind by many insect bites

I'm sat here doing just that...I've got 40+ bites over my arms, ankles, face and head from one night camping out in the forest a few days ago...the pain and itching was enough to stop me sleeping

One of the few things that kept the biting little buggers at bay was cigarette smoke...

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

When your camping and have a fire just every so often when the skeeters start getting bad toss on a damp chunk of wood or a handfull of wet grass. The wet grass is best because it don't take as long to burn so doesn't smoke you out for an hour.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith

I have been using tobacco to draw out the stinging sensation that is left behind by many insect bites

I'm sat here doing just that...I've got 40+ bites over my arms, ankles, face and head from one night camping out in the forest a few days ago...the pain and itching was enough to stop me sleeping

One of the few things that kept the biting little buggers at bay was cigarette smoke...

whoooa!! hold up there partner!
what I meant was the following:

Dampen the tobacco and pack it onto the actual sites where you have been bitten. This helps to relieve the itching and draw out some of the swelling.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by justamomma

I had an aunt who used tobacco in that manner for yellow jacket stings. I was about 6, and stepped into a whole nest of the little buggers! The wetted tobacco burned a bit at first, but after a few moments it seemed to lessen the pain and reduce the swelling considerably. Thanks for reminding me of this home remedy Justamomma.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

I have used it for the same thing when my boys get stung. And no problem. I would have never thought to share that insight had you not posted this thread.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by justamomma

I still appreciate your input. Stings and bites are common occurrences in the woods and around the home, and this little tidbit of information may very well come in handy for one of the readers of your post.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Something else that work's without the sting is baking soda.
Make a paste out of it and cover the bite or sting

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Excellent thread! I knew smoke kept away the bugs, but I didn't realize tobacco had antiseptic effects as well. I'm with the fellows who say there's nothing like an occasional smoke.

Just to add my two cents...if you don't smoke, tea also works wonders.

USES FOR TEA

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anuubis
reply to post by LLoyd45

Something else that work's without the sting is baking soda.
Make a paste out of it and cover the bite or sting

I've never tried it, but I know other people that swear by it. Thanks for the information Anuubis.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

It also saves the tobacco for smoking

People wouldn't like to be around me when i'm having a nic-fit

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   

whoooa!! hold up there partner!
what I meant was the following:

Dampen the tobacco and pack it onto the actual sites where you have been bitten. This helps to relieve the itching and draw out some of the swelling.

I've not tried using the baccy as a poultice on bites and stings...I've only ever used it as a lit cigarette as a form of heat-cauterising.

Just puff on the cig to get it nice and glowing hot, and then hold just over the bite till you feel the heat start to sting, and it will stop the itching immediately...there's no scarring and the bitten area will heal up nicely too

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
In Iraq I used the cellophane cigarette wrapper to treat the sucking chest wound of a little girl I shot when her family ran a checkpoint after an IED attack on my convoy.

Saved her life. Without the cellophane we wouldnt have had anything clean to seal the wound up.

Thanks everyone for all the great tips! I want to put all this on a card and hand to do-gooders when they tell me how horrible smoking is!

[edit on 4-8-2008 by cavscout]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 03:22 AM
link   
So yer all drug addicts huh..

Damn hippies

*pours a beer*

Damn hippies, should all be in prison, you're all criminals.. Who knows, you may steal my lawn or something.. Bah.. Tighten the law..

BAN THESE HIPPIES AND THEYRE DRUGS LIKE TOBACCO !!!

[edit on 8/4/2008 by bloodcircle]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by bloodcircle

I don't want to steal your lawn.

I might, however, steal your lawn gnome for a pack of smokes!

Sorry for the derail. Carry on!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join