It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting photos from Phoenix and rovers

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Hi, ArMaP, I am curious about something I spotted in the last image you posted (Sol 825). The "thing" is located in the lower right area of the image. This doesn't look like a ordinary rock to me, but could it be some effect caused by pixellation?

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Hi Krypton,

Welcome to ATS as a member!

Those are some of the best photos of Mars I have seen yet, I loved them and sent the link to some friends and they loved them too! Thank you so much for posting them!

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

It's hard to tell for such a small object, but I think its looks are consistent with the looks of the other rocks.

What do you find strange about it?

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
I think I have found all of your "metal bits" (and you probably will find much more, including some fossils
).

Hehe what took you so long

It always amazes me how every time we get a new thread like this the wow factor... All these images that Boston collected are available and have been for years on the Rover press release sight especially those dust devil animations

This one is a great panorama... just ignore the rover...

here it is in browser and below is the medium and full size 25meg version

SPIRIT Press Releases

OPPORTUNITY Press Releases

For the DUST DEVIL crowd here is the entire collection of Animated Dust Devil images

MARTIAN DUST DEVILS

This gallery is the NASA photo journal... it holds the very high resolution PIA Series of some of the best shots from many spacecraft

NASA PHOTO JOURNAL

NASA PHOTO JOURNAL FRONT PAGE

This picture is the SUN from the Martian Pole

phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu...

And you can keep up to date with what the Phoenix Lander is doing

NASA Spacecraft Confirms Martian Water, Mission Extended

PHOENIX LANDER

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   

We can see Mars bigger than that from Earth, and Mars is more or less half the size of the Earth.

I think what was not made clear on that Earth Moon image is that it is NOT what Earth actually looks like size wise if you were standing on Mars... but using the spacecrafts cameras to zoom in

Your Mars photo is certainly not what Mars looks like to the naked eye...

Seems you neglected to mention that

As to Ziggy's rock I see what he is talking about... it certainly looks strange indeed.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Hi, ArMaP, what I find a little strange are the straight lines. If you can imagine that the "thing" has fallen over to its right side, then it's "base" looks very rectuangular. I hope you understand what I mean.
I have tried to draw up some of the lines to explain, please forgive the extremely poor quality of my work.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
FORGOT TO ADD...

CANADA'S PHOENIX MARS WEATHER STATION

www.space.gc.ca...

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

OK, I understand it now.

But I still think it looks like the other rocks.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   

But I still think it looks like the other rocks.

I am going to have to take you for a rock hunting field trip and explain rocks to you

But I noticed you did not comment on the mud with ice beneath that the Rover 'slipped' on

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I have been looking at that mud the rover slipped in alot. I would really love to hear NASA's excuse on that one. How is it possible for soil that is sitting in a temperature of -100 F+ able to shift, leave imprints and tracks and not be rock hard? Being from Wisconsin when it was winter out or even fall to that effect the soil was hard as ice and you would need a drill to get through it. anyone else have any suggestions to this?

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
But I noticed you did not comment on the mud with ice beneath that the Rover 'slipped' on

That was because I thought you already knew what I was going to say.

To me, it does not look like mud, it looks like extremely fine and dry dust, like Portland cement.

Mud has a tendency of getting separated in its components, the liquid can move between the dust particles and goes to the bottom while the dust on the top gets dryer.

The image you posted shows it well, there is nothing to show a difference in moisture between the higher areas (the little mounds made by the wheels) and the lowest areas (the small trenches probably dug by rocks stuck to the wheels).

But that does not mean that what we see on the photo was not ice, the photos from Phoenix that NASA says show ice did not had any visible mud, and apparently the ice disappeared without living any wet marks, so I think it is possible that the white areas on the bottom on the trench dug by the wheels of the rover were ice.

If they were they should have disappeared in some days.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Nice thread, some interesting photo's.

I found a website this morning, a few threads on it including one of my own, but I'll place it here aswell, as it's not who get's the information out, but making sure the information get's out.

areo.info...

Website here, true colour and false colour images here, I'll post some as I find them, some nice images of mars, the true Mars. The true colour images, have the designation _L4L5L5L5L6, these are the real views of Mars, red planet my ass.

anyway, my favourite, and this will be the 3rd thead I've posted it in, as I believe it is very interesting, and embedded metal disk?

SPIRIT: SOL 1431:8 2P253399549EFFAX05P2564L5M1_L4L5L5L5L6

SPIRIT: 2P261833589EFFAY00P2298L5M1_L4L5L5L5L6
Lovely blue martian skies.

SPIRIT: 2P259081571EFFAY00P2277L5M1_L4L5L5L5L6
And again...

SPIRIT: 2P263697895EFFAY00P2270L5M1_L4L5L5L5L6
Don't mean to be an alarmist, but is that a f!*$?£g head?!? looks like hair, or maybe some sort of plant?

Enjoy, I'll post more if you want them (all on that website).

EMM

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectroMagnetic Multivers
I think that there is no need of posting the photos, you already posted the link to the site.

And I think the images created with the radiometrically-corrected images look better.

Too bad those images (like all images on the PDS) are not updated as fast as the normal images.

Edit:

Like I said on the other thread, that is a mark made by the abrasion tool.

[edit on 3/8/2008 by ArMaP]

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectroMagnetic Multivers
I think that there is no need of posting the photos, you already posted the link to the site.

And I think the images created with the radiometrically-corrected images look better.

Too bad those images (like all images on the PDS) are not updated as fast as the normal images.

Edit:

Like I said on the other thread, that is a mark made by the abrasion tool.

[edit on 3/8/2008 by ArMaP]

True, but we both know that some people don't use links

and I answered you on the other thread, and showed an example of another abrasion tool that looks differently, which makes me question the abrasion tool answer, although I may be wrong. Sorry it took so long, didn't check it for a while.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Wow, now that is something to crap your pants about...

That is pretty crazy.

[edit on 3-8-2008 by ALLis0NE]

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALLis0NE
Wow, now that is something to crap your pants about...

Want something to crap your pants about? How about this awesome horizon...

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Might have to do with the water content in the soil. If its like zero, the soil would hardly "freeze" at all. imo

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Very very nice images of mars here, thanks to all

I'm also addicted to them and look at them for hours. Someday humans will be there and it will be all green and warm.

I must disagree with the blue shifted pics on that site. Whats that site upto ? Anyone can do a color balance and change the colors to bluish. Its true that "True-color" pics of mars are rare and the filters in NASA cams are artificial, but this all is for a purpose.
May be the sky is not so red when there is no dust around and may be some rocks are bluish. How does that matter ?
In general Mars is reddish and you can look up yourself with a good telescope. Hardly matters to me.

The embedded disc is a drill mark and nothing more.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by foremanator
Might have to do with the water content in the soil. If its like zero, the soil would hardly "freeze" at all. imo

Star for you
I tried pointing that out in the Phoenix thread where NASA discovered frozen water in the soil at the pole... but the soil temp can reach =81 at the equator or at least the level where Viking took the reading

To ArMaP

But that 'mud' Its dry out here in the deserts of Nevada... If I stir up the soil a few inches its STILL DRY and I will NOT see the soil get darker until I dig a little deeper and hit moisture...

And those clear blue skies over the desert in those Viking pictures you posted? They sure look like home to me... I can take a hundred just like it..

So that means one of TWO things...

A) The DESERT regions of Mars are Just like Nevada or Atacama in Chile (where NASA ALSO has a rover test facility
)
or
B) they were shot here in Death Valley
So I went on a little trip and found this ...

Carl Sagan posing with Viking in Death Valley Nevada...

Now what are the odds of that

OH and it IS at a NASA site

solarsystem.nasa.gov...

So now I Have Sojourner in Nevada, Surveyor on a beach in California and Viking in Death Valley...

I also have a few google earth images like the Lunar Lander in Pennsylvania, 4 (FOUR) Burans in 4 locations, a UFO under a tree and one on a runway...

And not one person has looked at that large panorama I posted

:shk:

[edit on 3-8-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Hey Z,

I indeed looked at that panorama...and what about it I respectfully ask?

So it's colored to depict some nice clouds and red dunes. Earth like sky and all.

Are these corrected as to proper color by someone else and not NASA?

What did I miss?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join