It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart Warns Employees of Democratic Win

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Wal-Mart Warns Employees of Democratic Win

online.wsj.com

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. is mobilizing its store managers and department supervisors around the country to warn that if Democrats win power in November, they'll likely change federal law to make it easier for workers to unionize companies -- including Wal-Mart.

In recent weeks, thousands of Wal-Mart store managers and department heads have been summoned to mandatory meetings at which the retailer stresses the downside for workers if stores were to be unionized.

According to about a dozen Wal-Mart employees who attended such meetings in seven states, Wal-Mart executives claim that employees at unionized stores would have to pay hefty union dues while getting nothing in return, and may have to go on strike without compensation. Also, unionization could mean fewer jobs as labor costs rise.

The actions by Wal-Mart -- the nation's largest private employer -- reflect a growing concern among big business that a reinvigorated labor movement could reverse years of declining union membership. That could lead to higher payroll and health costs for companies already being hurt by rising fuel and commodities costs and the tough economic climate.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1-8-2008 by grover]

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
OOOOO.... the big bad union scare!!! What a joke... like they get something from the cheapest company in America as it is that they might lose if they are unionized.

I point blank refuse to shop at mal-warts anyway... I would rather pay a little more to a smaller local business than give a dime to those corporate pigs and bullies any day.

online.wsj.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
So now we know to whom wal-mart is donating money to buy out political candidates

Doesn't that make you sleep better at night? to know how the whores in Washington parade themselves for sale by this big monopolies in the name of Wal-mart/china for the America low income family?

I just have to laugh my hart out, but then again just look who Wal-mart hires perhaps it will be some good intelligent people in the bunch but for the rest they are not the brightest.

Have to love corporate America

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Hah! If anyone needs a union, it's employees of Wal-Mart. It's time the Master/Slave relationship they have with their employees gets an overhaul.

To me, Wal-Mart is simply mirroring the fear any power-wielding organization, be it a corporation or a government, has of the unification of those under it's influence. Wal-Mart, is actually a nice analog of an oppressive government. To keep the power, the people must remain divided. For if they unite, WM would have to give them what they want...

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

I've been a union member for 38 yrs. If they could keep the unions from Mob ties then they might again be the tool they where years ago for the good of its members. Now... they are nothing but a tool of the politicos they pay to do they're biding and the common member gets ZERO in return. Unions are not the answer. Well thought out laws and enforcement to provide fair treatment from all involved, in what ever job or company they work for is the way to go. I know, wishful thinking, but its truely the only way to provide working conditions and wages and benefits for the working American. To not be inclusive of the working rights for all and let it be broken up into segments causes more problems than it fixes.
Zindo

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Come on Marg... whores have more self respect than our senators and congressmen do.

At least whores preform a service.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Come on Marg... whores have more self respect than our senators and congressmen do.

At least whores preform a service.

Full circle: Wal-Mart is the biggest corporate whore of them all!

Really, it's no laughing matter though. Where the hell do they get off "suggesting" who their employees vote for? Aren't there laws against this sort of thing?

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
We I think that we used to have some laws on that type of actions but then again when it comes to corporate America they are beyond the law alone side with the mega corporate religious groups

I wonder when the churches are to start their campaign against Obama and salvation, then again the elderly will be once again target first with the old Obama will take away your social security checks actually that back fire on Bush and his social security reform.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by keeb333

Really, it's no laughing matter though. Where the hell do they get off "suggesting" who their employees vote for? Aren't there laws against this sort of thing?

How dare a company use its Free Speech rights! There SHOULD be a law against Free Speech!

I think liberals hate Wal-Mart because they don't need government help to prosper. They are jealous of Wal-Mart because Wal-Mart helps out the middle class more than government does. That and they succesfully keep greedy Unions out of their business.

[edit on 1-8-2008 by RRconservative]

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
First of all, I love Wal-Mart. They save my family so much moola each month. God bless em for their prices and variety.

Second, as a liberal I have always been a union member and supported their causes. But unions have become the big business that they seek to control. America needs a new union for it's workers that is not corrupt and truly represents the people it serves.

Unions need to be reborn, and get back to the basics that made them necessary to begin with. Safe working conditions, a living wage, a safe place to put retirement funds. Unions are as needed today as they were 100 years ago.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Unions tell thier members who to vote for all the time , and they use union dues to support thier candidate of choice, no matter who the member individually may support. My wife is in a Union, they have determined to support Obama and are using portions of union dues for this purpose. Also I get a phone call from the Union every freaking day of the week to remind us to vote for Obama. So I dont see a problem with Wal Mart telling thier employees to support which ever candidate, whats good for one is good for the other.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Wow!
Must be hurricane Hillary.
She had a lot to do with Wal Mart's success in the early years
That girl just won't quit, she is a real fighter.
Maybe the Dems should reconsider their nominee.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Unions are basically labor monopolies, and it really is easy for the little guy to get hurt. They can force you to go on strike... And yeah, union dues are a way to force people to support political action.

Isn't it wonderful?

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
How can Wall-Mart think that manipulating there employees by telling them if there are Unions they will loose jobs and money. How can we as Americans even shop there. I for one have not shopped at Wall-Mart for 2 years now in protest to there treatment of workers and over seas shopping practices. My life is not only better because me and my family have taken a stand against such a business, but now I realize how much I buy that is American made. The people are going to have to put an end to this kind of place. what will it take? how far will we sit and watch this go on???

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative

Originally posted by keeb333

How dare a company use its Free Speech rights! There SHOULD be a law against Free Speech!

I think liberals hate Wal-Mart because they don't need government help to prosper. They are jealous of Wal-Mart because Wal-Mart helps out the middle class more than government does. That and they succesfully keep greedy Unions out of their business.

I watched a documentary about Wal-Mart entitled " WAL-MART:The High Cost of Low Price" and it opened my eyes to some things. For example they actually do use the govt. first by receiving subsidies from local govts. that arent made available to small businesses that are in the same community. In urban cities, subsidies to Wal-Mart are believed to have closed down schools and important city services.( according to the movie)
Several interviews show Wal-Mart associates who are overworked and underwaged. To add to their troubles, the company's health care plan is shown as very expensive at around $70 a week from a regular weekly paycheck. A vast percentage of families are supported by government health care which Wal-Mart seems to encourage their employees to do.
$70. a wk may not seem like much but when you only make $8. hr. it does.

I would recommend that people see this movie and form your own opinions, as for me I wont be shopping there unless I have no other choice. Thankfully we do still have a choice.

Peace

Pegasus
[edit on 1-8-2008 by RRconservative]

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by pegasus1

My apologies. Im not very good at this. My comments were posted within RRC's quote. Again im very sorry.

I watched a documentary about Wal-Mart entitled " WAL-MART:The High Cost of Low Price" and it opened my eyes to some things. For example they actually do use the govt. first by receiving subsidies from local govts. that arent made available to small businesses that are in the same community. In urban cities, subsidies to Wal-Mart are believed to have closed down schools and important city services.( according to the movie)
Several interviews show Wal-Mart associates who are overworked and underwaged. To add to their troubles, the company's health care plan is shown as very expensive at around $70 a week from a regular weekly paycheck. A vast percentage of families are supported by government health care which Wal-Mart seems to encourage their employees to do.
$70. a wk may not seem like much but when you only make $8. hr. it does.

I would recommend that people see this movie and form your own opinions, as for me I wont be shopping there unless I have no other choice. Thankfully we do still have a choice.

Peace

Pegasus

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by pegasus1

Its true that they do purposely use the local state and government programs to put they're employees on benefit packages. The state gov here took them to court over it. If you wanted insurance for your kids they made you take a paycut so you would qualify for state programs. Real nice how they keep they're expenses down by useing the customers tax money to give us 'low prices' from the Pacific rim and China. I too do not shop there and won't till they wake up or go out of business!! I shop at whats left of the mom & pop stores that still exist!!

Zindo

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Walmart used to very liberal based in a republic society. Capitalism has allowed Microsoft and Walmart to prosper beyond imagination.

Now, when they really feel Marxism could replace the republic, they want to keep their profits.

It will turn Democrat CEOs like Bill Gates into Republicans real quick. Of course, Bill is giving his all to charity now and dreaming of a Utopia. He still has the biggest mansion in the world and millions in spite of his kind gestures.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Obama will take away your social security checks

Those are already gone, Marg. The only thing left is an empty 'lockbox'.

That was one of the few good ideas Bush had IMO, but then again, knowing now what I didn't know then, he'd have probably messed it up too.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   
My apologies in advance......I have not read the entire thread.....plan to , I promise! Walmart should know that just because a dem might be installed as POTUS, does not mean they have anything to instantly fear from unions. Sorry, they are broken. I've worked in a union shop.....with a contract that was negotiated after nearly a year long strike......for damn near min wage, no health insurance for myself for a year and for my dependants and spouse? two years! The unions are broken......if it's a dem, he's probably one of theirs anyway. Any real change is just not going to happen suddenly.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join