It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old Nike Base Albany Ga Gone?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
These old Nike sites are everywhere. My suburban Nike site was converted to a municipal park many years ago. You would never know it was there. Some of the more rural sites still sit abandoned and have been left to rust away.

Check this link out for some fun Nike site Pics.

illicitohio.com...

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I lived in the area for about 3 years starting in 1986 (graduated Westover in 1989) in the Alberson subdivision. Hated every minute I was in Albany, GA. In 1988 and 1989 we'd go out to the Nike missile base and look around try and scare each other and generally F* off. One time we even got permission to leave school and go out there for a journalism class.

Don't think we ever got chased or even saw anyone else out there. Once we were driving through in the middle of the night, and a German shepherd came out of nowhere and jumped up barked furiously at my friends window. He about pissed himself and we were dying with laughter.Well, nervous laughter anyway. Truthfully, we were all a little freaked out and left soon after.

Did have a UFO encounter also there in October of1986. Not much to it really. I was outside at the grill before dusk, so there was still plenty of light. What I can only describe as a completely silent silver craft without wings flew overhead in a straight line, twice. One end was bulbous. It was fairly low, and looking back now, if I had a quarter and held it up at arms length, it would stretch it's diameter. I also recall a strange wall-like cloud formation in the sky as well that stretched seemingly forever. I didn't dwell on the sighting much. To be honest I got more of a "secret government craft" vibe more than anything. And in the interest of full disclosure, i'd been reading about UFOs since I was 5.

So yeah Albany is kind of weird huh?

Anyone else go out to the Alberson house? It's the abandoned mansion that was on land in the middle of the Alberson subdivision.

And how about the guy whose last name was "Noid" and was convinced the entire Domino's Pizza Ad campaign was aimed at him. He took hostages at a Domino's somewhere else, but he was living in Albany.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Alright, well I do really hate to bump this thread after what..nearly two years of inactivity, but I do have questions still. I live on Hawkstead drive in Holly Plantation and am within 5 minutes walking distance of this place that has been referred to as TU-79 L-10. I paid a visit to the place earlier today. As of recently, apparently, the side where the silos once stood has been fenced off (A sign sits there now stating that trespassers will be prosecuted). However, the side with the playground has no fence. I find that to be very strange. Can anyone tell me if there's actually anything UNDER that huge amount of dirt? It seems that someone has previously attempted to dig down, but without any luck. I tried my hand at it but it's so hot out today I did not last for long. I would just like to know if there's anything under the dirt or if the place was leveled entirely and everything was destroyed.

ALSO, I paid a visit to The Anchorage earlier today as well. It is still operational and I noticed quite a few people walking about the courtyard. Everything is just as it was 30 years ago, so it appears.

Thanks in advance for any information.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Currently, there is nothing underneath that dirt. Nike missile site TU-79 used to consist of 3 underground magazines which would hold the Nike missiles until the were brought to the surface and launched.

However, around the late 90's, the site was purchased by a development company. The underground magazines were demolished. The concrete and steel removed. And the site filled in with dirt. However, it looks like they still haven't started building anything.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by allenidaho

Alright, thanks a lot for the information. It's terrible that they removed it all, though. I dug for nothing. Haha.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
My dad was posted to a Nike base outside of D.C. or Baltimore (where I grew up) when he was in the National Guard in the late 50's. He took me there once when I was very young, probably around 1980 or so, and it was much as you described. Just like an asphalt parking lot with the missile tubes covered over with steel metal plates. I found it pretty interesting, I remember, imagining the missiles down there.

He told me a crazy story about when as a prank his entire unit dismantled a Nike Ajax missile and reassembled it in the base commander's house (hopefully without the warhead and propellant!). In retrospect, as a 40-something year old man, he realized how much trouble they all could have been in, but fortunately the base commander was a cool guy and just found it hilarious.
edit on 8/22/2011 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Sounds very interesting. Wish I could have been around to see the inception of Project Nike. Maybe I would of gotten the chance to see this big ole' mound back when it was actually something worth looking at.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Also, can you provide sources to backup what you've said? I personally know people who say that there still may be some remnants down there. I'm not doubting what you have said, but I would just like to know if you have sources.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I do. The information came from a few newspaper articles found through the Google News archive. I don't have the exact papers written down, though.

According to my notes, the site was closed in 1966. Slated for disposal in 1988. Sold some time in the 1990's and demolished for a housing development. I don't have the exact year.

The launch control center for this site was also sold and turned into a drug and alcohol rehab facility.

The other Nike missile site, TU-28, was also slated for disposal in 1988 and is now an auto salvage yard.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Ok, thank you. And yes, the rehab place you are talking about is The Anchorage. I just dropped by there the other day. There are still three towers around the facility, but other than that it just looks like a motel.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
thats amazing

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I've been to the SF-88 launch site and recently to the radar site.
SF88 radar site
SF88 launch site

There is control site as well, but it is not open to the public.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I am retired DOD have special clearance lived in N Double gate as child . first the stories are all true as I too witnessed the facts as well in person on foot different days and nights. Shierff EJ knew all about the base even the top secret stuff . I used a metal detector and can't talk
about detail much. My advise is to stay away from there. All bad news. As fas as Sasser Ga. I live here now. No comment on govt base here. Don't investigate it . there is no base here .your waisting your time.

posted on Apr, 20 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
If you all want check out unusual try secret FEMA bases near Albany Ga. I'm hearing things of secret Chinese soldiers military just barely across the border in Mexico.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I grew up in Albany off Old Dawson Rd, and road motorcycles all the time there as a kid in the early 70s. Yes, those were some times. I remember the hardened bunkers there, all having fallout shelters. I cannot, for the life of me, remember the old farmer.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join