It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old Nike Base Albany Ga Gone?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
would someone please tell me a little bit about WHAT a Nike base is exactly?
I am picturing some warehouse that assembles shoes.....
I Dont think they have Nike bases near Salt lake, at least I haven't ever heard of it before.
Sounds like JUST the thing to be looking for if you want to dig in and have an underground shelter.

[edit on 16-10-2008 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by theRiverGoddess

Nike Project

And, here's a list of all the Nike Sites

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
The Nike Bases are abandoned, underground, missle launch facilities that used to be secret. They are all over the U.S.A., many people live by them without a clue of what once was there.

[edit on 16-10-2008 by hoppy]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
After some research on google, I see the base I live by is not a Nike, but a Titan base.

Here is a link with a few photos of it.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jasunami

Did you know K.G. Hodges' son Ken is the current DA of Dougherty County?

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS

sure wish I knew if I knew you. I, too, grew up riding motorcycles daily at the Nike base and on the dirt roads on the other side of Winifred. I hung out with guys, but gave in to adventures like you described. I was present when a girl lost total control of herself at the nike base claiming to have seen a small black boy coming toward our jeep that when we were going forward was illuminated, but when we stopped he would come toward us. I also know Ed.

I am sure we know one another. I am confident that I knew most of the motorcycle riders who frequented the Nike Base. Do you remember the garage building that faced the farmer's house? It had really high ceilings and the retractable door was missing.

Say you entered the main road and passed by the old checkpoint, there was a garage building to the left and then a road to the left just past it. Of course if you took that road to the left you would have passed by the berms and launchpads on the right and then there was the final garage building on the left iacross from and icentered towards the three major berms.

Of course this second garage building had a berm around it too making it a great hiding place from the farmer who lived just 200 yards or so to the south of this building. This building had some bizarre graffiti. There was a tagger who painted a giant nude female torso being decapitated by a chainsaw. And then there was a ten-foot-tall face of Alice Cooper. Lots of pentagram stars and occult symbols as well.

Well, I know who did the giant Alice Cooper Face. And also the giant "Black Sabbath Rules" tag among other teenage artwork that donned the walls of those old military buildings. The Nike Base was a special place at a special time. Obviously in my mind anyway. But myself being a massive fan of movies such as "Mad Max" and "The Hills Have Eyes" provided me a representative playground of sorts amongst those ruins. And if you remember the movie "Race With the Devil" that starred Peter Fonda, this film really captures the aura of the Nike Base at its so-called Satanic prime so to speak. The first time my friends and I caught the weirdoes dancing around a bonfire, it was the first thing that came to mind for me.

And I too heard about the area being haunted. But again, when you consider the Indian burial grounds, slave graves and devil worshipping ... what's not to say the place attracted some very negative energy.

Hey, speaking of weird Albany history. Do you remember that nutcase who robbed the grave at Crown Hill Cemetery and set the casket up in his bedroom? I totally forgot the guy's name but he was very wealthy. His father was a prominent physician in Albany. They lived out on Old Dawson Road a few blocks before the Doublegate Country Club. Well, the guy was in his early 20's and was caught taking bathes in the casket and sleeping on the casket lining in his bed. If I recall correct, this happened in 1983 or 1984 around Halloween. But that guy got caught numerous times hanging out in Crown Hill Cemetery dressed in a Dracula costume.

No kidding here, but my mom's best friend was building a house out in Lee County around 1983 and lived in Shoreham Apartments until the house was completed. So, one night my mom and her friend were in her kitchen making dinner. The kitchen window faced the west side of the cemetery. They heard a disturbance that sounded like a werewolf howling. When they went out on the back patio and turned on the flood lights, the freaky guy who later stole the casket was up in an oak tree, dressed like Dracula and howling to the top of his lungs. He was arrested.

Hey, they don't call Albany "Agony Georgia" for no reason. LOL ...

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by hoppy
After some research on google, I see the base I live by is not a Nike, but a Titan base.

Here is a link with a few photos of it.

The Nike missiles were much smaller and mobile weapons. A Nike base could be constructed in weeks as there was no need to deep underground silos. The Nike bases were generally small outposts that consisted of a a few garage type work buildings, a checkpoint for guards, a few berms that were around 20-feet high and surrounded the concrete launch pads where the missiles were set up on metal tracks that could be aimed and adjusted for specific target ranges. Below is a photo of a typical Nike installment.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
The very first thread I posted to ATS was on this subject, and about a rumor of a near-nuclear disaster at Hart Island, in New York City.

I tried to follow up on this recently, tried to meet with my original contact, but to no avail. The thread was partially debunked by some ATS subject matter experts:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I don't know -- I could never communicate with my original contact on this matter and the whole thing is still quite mysterious to me. I am not sure what to believe on this one. There is very little chance I will ever meet my original informant again. He might have been embellishing the story to impress me and my Aunt. Or maybe I just got the facts slightly wrong.

Great thread. Nike missles. An incredible chapter of US Military technology, now over.

[edit on 1-11-2008 by Buck Division]

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Well, there are older Nike Hercules operators such as myself. As long as I'm around the Nike Herc won't be forgotten. Unused but not forgotten. Turn me loose on a working system, and I'll bet you that I could still designate, and fire it at either a mobile target or a ground target. (chuckle)

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I grew up in Albany.. attended school there and graduated in 1964 from Albany high..the old Nike Bases were ideal locations to have romantic rendez-vous with a lot of the air-force wives and daughters whose husbands and fathers were tdy..by the same token the air force and army guys used to date the local girls which really made the local guys jealous...I remember midnight runs to PC and drag races down Slappey in the moonlight... and the UFO thing on the old Leary road....quite a story where the guy's car just quit running when confronted one early morning...made all the papers...The Cromartie base housing was brand new then... and i thought it was luxurious...lot of good people and good od times in Albany it is definitely different today.... and thats to be expected I guess...

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
This is a Nike site outside of San francisco Calif that has been restored as a museum.

there are two Nike missile site rings in Calif one around the bay area and another that covered LA and San Diego

some of the launch units were just bulldozered over with dirt and some have been turn over to the state and local government and are being used for communication sites(mostly mountain top sites,)

Coordinates: 37°49'41"N 122°31'37"W
Nike SF-88L

The IFC (Integrated Fire Control) site is located on Wolf Ridge in Fort Cronkhite.

www.nps.gov/goga/nike-missile-site.htm --

"During the tense years from 1953 to 1979, the United States Army built and operated a total of 280 Nike missile firing batteries in the United States. These missile sites were emplaced as the last line of defense against Soviet bombers. Today, a dedicated group of volunteers works in partnership with the Golden Gate National Recreation Area on the continuous task of restoration at site SF-88, which has been turned into a museum. This valuable historical resource is the only restored Nike missile site in the entire country. It's a great chance for you to see the tools of the Cold War up close.

"You can visit SF-88 during the week, Wednesday through Friday, 12:30 to 3:30. A guided walk begins from the Testing and Assembly Building every half hour, with the last tour leaving at 3 p.m. On the guided walk you will be able to see the tools of the Cold War up close, and it includes an amazing trip down the missile elevator into the underground storage area.

"On the first Sunday of every month we hold an open house, where docents—some of them Nike veterans—tell stories about real life experience at Nike missile sites."

www.nikemissile.org/
www.nps.gov...

Coordinates: 37°49'36"N 122°31'39"W
SF-88L Magazines

ed-thelen.org/t_self_guide.html --

"Within this gated security area are the eight above ground launchers of SF-88L. They are arrayed on two lines of four launchers each. The launchers are connected by rails. The individual launchers are the base from which the missiles are fired, and they also serve to move the missiles for the horizontal to near-vertical prior to launch. The missiles were stored below ground in large rooms called "magazines" and are brought to the surface for servicing, training or firing. The missiles are raised from their underground magazine by a large hydrolically-operated elevator and pushed manually along rails to the launchers. The launchers would then stand the missile on its tail to near vertical prior to launch. If elevated to 90 degrees, the booster rocket would fall back onto the site when separated."
Wikipedia article: en.wikipedia.org...
This article is protected.
Category: nike interesting place military historic

other sites that i know of
en.wikipedia.org...
images.google.com...://www.ftmac.org/images/nike-map.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.ftmac.org/Lanike3.htm&h=400&w=400&sz=8&hl=en&star t=12&sig2=KPsxazcTd9g7gmFx4SfJbA&um=1&usg=__Z4yzHAxUJ3PTTWyl1gyQZwZHfE8=&tbnid=UFT8AMMJ91KZDM:&tbnh=124&tbnw=124&ei=nDENSYSNHKOiNan6sJ4E&prev=/images% 3Fq%3DNike%2BSite%2BLA-96%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26rlz%3D1B3GGGL_enUS271US271%26sa%3DN

www.americanchronicle.com...

this is the best site to look up things in the world because many things a labeled and identified
www.wikimapia.org...=37.8280227&lon=-122.5269771&z=16&l=0&m=a&v=2

when i was younger one of the deactivated LA sites was used by a auto theft ring and i worked for a few week for a contractor cleaning out the striped remains so the it could be bulldozed over.

[edit on 2-11-2008 by ANNED]

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS

Did you know K.G. Hodges' son Ken is the current DA of Dougherty County?

Haha. Well, that makes sense. Hodges' had a lot of money, a lot of land and a lot of influence. It's still a Good 'Ol Boys network down there. One of my childhood friend's father was once Albany's DA and he got busted for embezzling hundreds of thousands of dollars and went off to a Federal golf course prison in the late '70s.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 06:00 AM
link   
If anyone hadn't heard, there are several posts online of ufo's over moultrie, ga just a few miles south of albany

they even have video

www.americanchronicle.com...

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Wow a whole load of Albany folks on here weird never expected see that!

Never heard of the site either...Interesting

Former Tift and Lowndes county guy myself

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I was just in Albany the first week of November...my son (who lives there) saw a UFO over the weekend at around 3:00am while camping....he's pretty shaken up about it...found this thread trying to see if anyone else in that area has seen anything recently and if they could tell me what it looked like....any takers??

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   

I bet I know both u guys..I grew up on Northgate rd, one block east of N. DoubleGate Rd. and rode motorcycles to the Nike Base from 1978 to 1984. I cannot believe they built houses on that place!! Poltergeist is right!

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by 4x4fun

I lived on Edith Dr and went to the Nike base many times growing up. I had run-ins with the farmer too but never were the cops invloved. We used to ride our horses out there and go up adn down on the bunkers. It was really cool. Ran into a bunch of snakes in a deep hole that was there.. This is a cool place to relive. I heard that it has all been leveled and houses have been built on top of it.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I was in Albany in November for Thanksgiving and tried to locate the Nike base while there. I found nothing except new subdivisions. I did find a big red clay mound near a playground in one of the subdivisions tht seemd out of place, but could not tell if it was left over from the base or not.I lived in Albany from when I was born in 1956 until 1979. Used to party at the Nike base and the sand dunes in east Albany in the mid 70s. I remember when there was a sign on highway 82 with a Nike missile on it. I knew the weirdo that dug up the casket and dated a girl many years earlier in like the 7th or 8th grade that was rumored to be his accomplice. I know his name but will not put it on this site. He was also a Natzi worshipper. Both of these where some of the weathiest kids in Albany. Lots of money and little sense. Kind of remind me of the Paris Hilton type on a smaller scale. I never knew there were nukes there until reading one of the web posts at another web site about Turner Air Field. I live in FL now and work for a hospital. I attened a security conference recently with a guy responsible for distaer recovery for our hospital. He was telling me about visting a site near Thomasville that sounded a lot like the Nike bases I remebr from Albany. I think it was a FEMA disaster drill or something similar but that conversation got me thinking about the Nike base off 82 in Albany. I also remebr a radar site off the Moultrie road east of the Marine base. There is an FAA site near the Nike base now. May have something to do with the radar for the Albany Airport. I have been told that there are emergency landing strips located around Albany as well.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Is "Crazy Ed" still in prison today? I moved to Albany in 1986 from Miami and I wonder if I had any run-ins with him during that time.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I've been reading the stories here about the Nike Base which are very interesting. I'm doing some history on the current "dinky" airport and stumbled upon this information.

For the poster who called the current Regional airport "dinky", I'd like to point out that the airport has a UPS sort facility on the airport and supports 757 and A300 traffic every night and encompasses more than 900 acres. No, the airport does not have the 2-foot thick concrete runways that the old Turner Field has (damn Gray), but the airport has all of the newest navigation aids and precision approaches that any other airport that handles commercial traffic has.

We have handled Air Force One in the past during the 1994 flood, so please get your facts straight! Thanks.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join