It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Dead' Nights - Anyone else experience this?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
As I sit here right now the world around me is totally silent, outside of my computer's humming and the bubbling of a pot of soup I'm warming up.

It's 1:02 AM and outside there's no wind, no animal sounds, a car on the road perhaps every 10 minutes in the distance and nothing else. No trees are moving, no people are walking around and very few lights are on in the neighbourhood.

Some people would say 'so what?' to this. Well, generally I would too. I've noticed it happening quite a bit though, I mean not every day but at least once every 2-3 weeks there'll be a night like this. I've mentioned it to at least one friend before who knows what I mean. The only way I can describe it is that it feels like the night is 'dead'.

These nights always make me feel a bit tense and impatient, like something should be happening but it isn't. I don't like to go driving or anything when it feels like things are 'dead' in this way either. I guess it can't be anything too odd, it's probably just my imagination, because after all if it was something bigger more people would notice it too.

Call me nuts, but does anyone else experience these sort of nights too? Think there's anything to it?

Just a thought...

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
What is it about silence you dont like? I know many people are like that, but personally I love it... my mind becomes very focused.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

What is it about silence you dont like? I know many people are like that, but personally I love it... my mind becomes very focused.

Silence I don't have a problem with in general, but somehow this sort of silence is unsettling. It's the sort of silence you'd get if you sat in a locked room with the doors and windows jammed up.

Not a whisper of a breeze, not a sound at all. Most naturally 'silent' situations aren't that silent at all... But nights like this? I don't know... @_@

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Duality

I guess I dont get the meaning of your thread??? Because you live in a small community and there is nothing happening at night, you think something is going on?? or am I missing something??

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by philjwolf
reply to post by Duality

I guess I dont get the meaning of your thread??? Because you live in a small community and there is nothing happening at night, you think something is going on?? or am I missing something??

It's hard to describe. It's not that I live in a small community, I was just asking whether people experience these nights where things are abnormally quiet and seemingly odd.

If I lived in a small community it'd be quiet all the time! I think maybe the fact that it is overly quiet compared to other nights is what makes it feel really strange.

It's not so much about conspiracies, I'm just wondering if others encounter nights that are so unlike normal nights (or days I guess!) that they seem really out of place.

It's almost like the lack of information, or stimulus is information unto itself. I hope that makes sense, I realise it's fairly stupid-sounding and abstract.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Mm, I get that too. I like to stay up late a lot and I've often felt that uneasy silence. You can just feel it in the air.

Even sometimes after a storm, there'll just be quiet and it kinda feels like the same feeling that you get on 'dead' nights. Just uneasiness. It just feels really weird.

Sometimes it feels almost like the calm before the storm. Like something sinister is about to happen. It's just a weird feeling, don't know what it is though

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I know exactly what you are saying. I live in a small community and there is almost always noise. Some nights, as I frequently stay up late there will be no sounds. I can always hear the train across town if I listen for it, but I noticed on these "dead nights" I can't even hear it. What causes this I don't know, maybe it is an atmospheric type of occurrence that acts as a sound suppresser???? Something to google later perhaps.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I have 'dead' nights quite often also. Though what I find truly 'scary' are 'dead' moments of the day.

There are two major roads that go through my town, and every now and again in the daytime they completely empty; not a single car. Then all of a sudden its like business as usual.

It can also happen on the normal streets with people walking around like normal before you turn into another street and it is completely empty, as is the next and so on.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Er.sure. Hence the term "In the DEAD of the night"
I find them peacefull

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I think I know what you mean, it's something you can't see but it is tactile as if it can be cut with a knife.

Whenever I experience this it is usually at times when it is normal for it to be tranquil, but it is more perceptible than just stillness and silence.

I love it!

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Duality

I had this happen to me a few weeks ago, and it never happens around here. Even at one or two in the morning. There is a major intersection not far from where I stay most nights, and cars can always be heard coming up and down the highway. There are also some woods around that make for a constant hum of wildlife and insects.

But on this particular night, there was nothing. No bugs, no wind, no owls, no deer walking through the woods and not a single car on the highway. It was quite sime time before the silence was broken by a siren off in the distance, which again, sirens are a near constant around here too.

I too felt as if something was "coming." I was reminded of The Langoliers.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Sounds to me, like rather than asking what we think, you're waiting for someone to ask what you think.

Because you have an idea why you think it is, dont you?

Why DO you think it's happening?

Bigmoose

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Sensing the danger lurking in the shadows of the night, the potential prey endevours to remain perfectly still.

Hoping against hope that the gaze of the predator will overlook the cowering prey, time slows to an agonizing crawl, and a palpable silence blankets the scene until, satisfied that the danger has passed, life and breath resume, shaken but still alive.

Or not.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Bhadhidar

nicely put....

ive experienced strange silences in my town which is pretty good sized ive noticed it while with groups of friends who also notice it. I dont its anything to abnormal just you percieving on occasion the stillness of the night

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I've experienced nothingness in the middle of the day as well. I've written about it before, its like stepping into another dimension, one where everything is still and looks different.

I think we go back and forth from one dimension to another and this is why we feel peculiar and things are out of place.

Its all natural and good. Dont worry, if it bothers you turn on the radio or tv and use for background noise- BUT you will still KNOW
you've stepped beyond.

I'm in the second dimension right now, and i chose to be here, its lovely, its wonderful (for me) You too can chose which dimension you can be the happiest at. I'm vibrating just 1/4 inch above most of you.

I love it

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I have seen those nights, I think it is normal.

We have noise thrown at us all day, so this gets our attention. I love those moments.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Those type of nights scare the crap out of me becuase,most of the time i'm hearing sound...

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   
where I live that sounds like day time and night time almost every day and night.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Perhaps its all just a calmness before a coming storm the anticipation from all around the world that something is going to happen something big but no one is quite sure what or when.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 06:28 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join