It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans are walking talking television sets.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
The entire United States is one big militarized zombie with a T.V. firmly planted in its arse. The average Americans entire personality is based upon something which it had seen on it's television set... most Americans have never even had a chance at having real personality, and if you ask them they'll just lie like Pinocchio. "Am I a real personality daddy? Sure son just shut up and watch some Friends. "

Just take a look at the run for president... what a joke only Americans would eat such drivel. Highly sexualized television anyone? Got to keep those Americans mating like rabbits on PCP... because if we don't they'll all die from Aids or contract cancer from all the genetically modified corn we put into their food. Americans are like that slightly retarded kid at school that everyone makes fun of behind his back... but nobody will ever say anything to his face because they fear his super retard strength, thats how the world sees America. The ignorant hordes of Americans... feed them bread and show them boobs and they will conquer the world.

What say you America?

[edit on 25-7-2008 by TrueHusslin]

[edit on 25-7-2008 by TrueHusslin]

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I say mass generalizations are the desperate grasp of weak individuals.

When you think you understand the "American" mindset... you will be surprised by the true realization that the sleeping giant (the general populace) has yet to be awakened.

The wrong people are speaking for us at the present time.. only because they are the ones in power.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueHusslin

Can't speak for the rest of my lethargic brethren, but I am completely free of all boob-tubery!

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

I knew if I generalized a bit it would get some attention... when is the revolution?

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueHusslin

I knew if I generalized a bit it would get some attention... when is the revolution?

right now...channel 7

lol

but seriously...c'est la vie

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   

So what country do you come from, kind sir?
Also, what places in the US have you visited?

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I am an American and I usually don't watch TV and have not in years. I may watch a Sci Fi s how on Sunday but that is about it besides any possible art show that could be on.

Barb

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I thought this forum was for speculative theories? I didn't realize it was for brainless rants.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I think you're absolutely right. It's a bit of a generalization, but for the most part an accurate one. I am one of the few people I know who does not watch television (if I can avoid it... both of my roommates watch TV on a fairly frequent basis) and I often find myself entirely out of the loop in conversations between co-workers and acquaintances. It's a disgusting state of affairs. Television makes people stupider and slowly kills the creative impulse and the ability to think rationally or generally give a sh!t about anything. There's a reason they call it "programming".

On a loosely related note, I think it's a ludicrous testament to our collective laziness and stupidity that they need to remind people to not use text message shorthand in their posts. Are real words and properly-formulated sentences with proper grammar and punctuation simply out of vogue? Are we in such a rush to blurt out any errant thoughts that wander into our heads that we can't take a moment to construct our communications with a modicum of care? The USA is supposedly an educated nation with a high literacy rate, but every day I am faced with countless indications to the contrary. It makes me sad.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I think that this belongs in the RANT forum. So what do you think this rant says about you? You know nothing about America or her citizens.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 05:24 AM
link   

ah ok, so you were just trolling for a response, I see.
Well, speaking as one of the "zombified tv sets" or whatever, i enjoy a good televsion show, sure. I also work a decent job, do karate, bike, canoe, ect. As remarkable as this may seem to you, the stereotype of overweight, brain numb Americans is just that, a stereotype.
So, when you pull your head out of your arse, is there any real reason why I should continue to pay attention to you?

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Is the topic for this thread the reason why most americans talk so loud...

Just like TV....always gets LOUDER when the adverts come on. And let's face it....that's most of the time.

Not trying to be rude, just an observation.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   

reply to post by nerbot

Your all fools.

And your three word reply leaves much to be desired. Stop trolling.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Well, I'm an American and I'm quite inclined to agree with the OP. It's not just about TV though...it's about lack of critical thinking. It's about taking everything at face value. Americans LOVE their face value.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I agree with the OP, A lot of Americans I know act exactly like people from tv, their charaters, thoughts, ideas, culture, and life views sound scripted from a soap opera. I don't mean all of them, but certainly most people i interacted with while living there.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   

BWAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHA!

they don't watch TV in england?

yeah, right. is that why you have so many Chavs over there?

and also: Internet is not better for your brain than TV. it does the same thing, and is even more addictive because you get sucked in because you can participate directly.

I feel less retarded watching a creative peice of art televised for my entertainment, so I can form my own opinion of it, than when I go online and see a lie and thousand people arguing over it, or posting a video of what a douche the OP is.

Internet has no filter. there are no peers, not like broadcast TV. TV has to go through a gauntlet, and you can put just any old crap online and call it news.

so. yeah.

the idea that europeans or australians or japanese are any less TV/Internet Drones than americans is silly. strictly silly.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DARKJEDIG

*ahem* I know some British people, and some British Culture. and I'd say there's a whole lot of the same thing on your little island.

like the aforementioned Chavs.

and also: Donnie Darko.

and also: the Matrix.

you guys are more sad about pop culture than we are.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
All Irish people are brainless drunks who beat their wives and don't work, just spend all day drinking at the bar.
All English people have bad teeth, horrible hygiene, and spend all day watching crappy soap operas and stalker-type shows about celebrities that are only celebrities because they're married to some talentless, over-paid football star.
All Middle Eastern people are terrorists. For that matter, all Muslims are terrorists.
All black people are lazy.
All Asian people are too smart and have tiny penises. They also eat nothing but "fly lice" and raw fish and have yellow skin.
All French people are gay cowards who care about nothing but cheese and wine.
All Germans are Nazis.
All Jews are stingy penny-pinchers and have big noses.

See, I can play that game too!

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Exactly correct. I am an American, and proud of it!

However, most people in our society today take their cue from TV or the movies. I have been saying this for the past 15 years. I am 40.

If you do come to realize this and you are American, and then try to truely realize your true personality you will be seen as "strange".

Why would you been seen as "strange"? Because if you do not use the same catch phrases, and modern mannerisms as dictated by TV, the media, celebrities, and the movies you are strange.

Let me try to give a real world example. I notice most people when conversing in a social situation in the US, the will all give responses and act as is expected, as is seen on TV.

They have no idea they are doing this, they would deny. But this is absolutely true, and it is a great shame.

In the US, if you do not want to seem strange in social situations you must know the correct way to act, the correct reactions, and the correct responses. How do you learn this? Through popular culture TV, movies and the media.

It has gotten worse over time, if compared to the 1920's, through the 40's. Before TV came on the scene.

I was born and raised in NY. My father and grand parents were born and raised in NY.

I came to this conclusion right about when I was graduating hight school, and so when I attended college all of my friends were international students. To my surprise most of my own Americans found me a little strange, only because I made it my objective NOT to act like TV or someone from the movies.

As a result all of my good friends were international students, they immediately took to my new found real personality.

Now, I find myself bull#ting every American I meet with some phony TV persona, and they love it. If I did not do that they would say I am weird. I don't like being perceived as "weird".

Still, to this day, foreigners seem to automatically take to me. What a strange thing.

[edit on 26-7-2008 by Electro38]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join