It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Odd Object in Martian Soil

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 11:47 PM
link   
On Sol 65 of the Spirit Rover's trek, when it was about 30 meters (~100 feet) from its landing site, two onboard cameras imaged a strange object. Resembling a corroded washer, the apparent artifact was half-buried in sand. Another resemblance of the item is that of a crinoid stem, in cross-section. While conceivably a lost part of the lander, it seems too distant for that possibility. Though the landing pod did bounce across the Martian surface, it is almost inconceivable that parts flew off of it. After all, the landing was quite successful. The URLs listed below link directly to each respective camera's images.

marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

[Edited on 12-3-2004 by Kano]

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 12:08 AM
link   
It looks like an old fossil I saw years ago. I can't remember what it was, but it was some kind of sea plant I think. I'll see if I can find a photo. Alternatively it could just be a flat stone - I don't think its part of the lander.

Or maybe the greys lost their frisbee

[Edited on 12-3-2004 by Pisky]

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Looks more like a print from a leg where it has compressed the soil....

nope, I'm wrong see this its definitly under the ground

It has obviously been of interest to NASA....

[Edited on 12-3-2004 by Netchicken]

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Look at the shadows before flying off the handle shall we.

Its an indentation, made by the M�ssbauer Spectrometer on the Rover.

This thing:

(Also discussed here: www.abovetopsecret.com... )

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Actually I disagree Kano...

From this pic here, and from the black shadow in the forground it looks like an object with the front uncovered and the back in the soil

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 01:22 AM
link   
What is the actual scale that this above picture is? That picture makes it look tiny.

Mr. M

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Heh no it doesn't chook, look at the shadows from the uneven surface of the Surrounding dirt, and the position of the shadow from the Rovers Arm. The imager is above the indentation, and its shadow is cast to the top of that image. Hence the illumination is from an angle coming in at the bottom of that image.

The Pancam Image linked to above is an even better example. This one:

Shadows from the rock etc.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Kano has it right I think, the shadows are telling. And the soil along the feature appears recently disturbed. Guess I was unaware of the Mossbauer apperature. Though his assertion isn't completely conclusive, it is the best explanation. Also it would explain why NASA made no mention of it, they know exactly where the spectrometer was impressed. Perhaps there are other similar images where sampling points were photographed.

It is a compelling image though, don't you think?

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 07:06 AM
link   
My first impression was that of some kind of core sampling going. But, yes, it looks like the Spectrometer is responsible for this. Martian soil is also very fine, like talc or ash. Look at the Apollo footprints, for example. They're almost exact imprints of the boots. Same goes for the perfect shape of the indentation here.

top topics

join