It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama in Berlin!?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Is this normal for a Presidential candidate to make a "stump-like" speech in another country? I am watching MSNBC right now in awe...

What do you all think?

[edit on 24-7-2008 by anyone]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I'm just amazed that Obama is in Germany....speaking English. After all didn't he just make fun of Americans going to foreign countries and just saying "merci beaucoup?"

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Again, a great speech
came across well.

i REALLY REALLY believe the world can see some hope in this man.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
I'm just amazed that Obama is in Germany....speaking English. After all didn't he just make fun of Americans going to foreign countries and just saying "merci beaucoup?"

You're absolutely right. I was completely expecting him to be fluent in German. What a reasonable demand.

Danke.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Its not all that unusual for a candidate to make trips overseas, but I don't remember one ever giving a campaign speech like this. Then again, for all the hype, that was a whole lot closer to a fluff speech and certainly nothing particularly profound.

At least the crowd got to see a free concert with two acts beforehand.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I think it is extraordinary, and very exciting to be speaking to the whole world like this. An historic occasion. He is really showing his leadership.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by shauny

I am with you Shauny! It is definitely going to be a huge plus to his campaign, I think, but I am sure a little backlash as well. I guess McCain has already responded negatively (of course).

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by anyone
He is really showing his leadership.

i agree

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
What I don't understand is, why would the American public, want to elect a man we hardly know anything about? Why would people want to elect a man that has only been in politics a few years? Why was he able to go to Harvard with hardly any money growing up?

This man is not who he says he id. Call me racist, I do not care. This has nothing to do with race. It has everything to do with the world and whats about to happen.

"Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh"

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
This guy is the freakin Antichrist. The root of his speech was about destroying borders and "walls" to achieve a world agenda. I like my damn borders, language and culture just the way they are. This guy has fooled way too many people, and this is getting pretty damn biblical.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Obama did not get to where he is, by accident.
Just another CIA handled politician, just like Clintons, Bushes and Carter.
Change? From quasi-fascism, to full fascism.
Government by and for the corporations.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by baked
What I don't understand is, why would the American public, want to elect a man we hardly know anything about? Why would people want to elect a man that has only been in politics a few years? Why was he able to go to Harvard with hardly any money growing up?

How much do you think you know about John McCain? Or George W Bush even?

How much can you profess to know about any politicians?

Just because they're older or have been around in politics longer you think you have a grasp over their innermost desires? Their hopes and aspirations? What they would do when given power?

Absolutely not. You just know what they want you to know. What their press advisers let get out.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by shai hulud
This guy is the freakin Antichrist. The root of his speech was about destroying borders and "walls" to achieve a world agenda. I like my damn borders, language and culture just the way they are. This guy has fooled way too many people, and this is getting pretty damn biblical.

For a paranoiac, you seem to have trouble recognizing ancient conspiracies when you see them. Has it ever occurred to you that every single attempt at creating a unified world, engendering peace among nations, or just suggesting that we stop killing each other has been smeared as the work of the Antichrist? Did it ever cross your mind that this entity (who does not appear in the Bible in any way, shape, or form) might have been invented specifically for this purpose? In the Middle Ages, there was nothing the Roman Catholic Church feared more than a political alliance more powerful than itself. I'm sure it's sheer coincidence that the Antichrist myth in its present form appeared around that time...

The Lord is thy shepherd, and he leadeth ye to the slaughter. And you call us sheep.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by shai hulud

I don't know if I'm ready to go that far. None of the polls show him even garnering 50% of the vote nationally in the US. Several have him in the low 40s, though still leading McCain. He's really not that popular back home, even though the Euros certainly do love him.

But I think you may have a point on the globalization talk. Depending on the coverage it receives and whether McCain chooses to use it, it could easily end up coming back to bite him with the independent vote.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I managed to spot the latter half of it, and i'll admit he impressed me with the number of people who showed up for the concert in his name (anyone know who was playing, btw?).

Strangely, i find it difficult to understand why a person would make a political rally to do with foreign policy would spend so much time talking about "dissolving borders" and "Breaking down walls", when in reality if we did actually do such a thing, then foreign policy would probably become a thing of the past.

I certainly hope this isn't his idea of a game-plan if he wants to be successful.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

The two acts were Reamonn and Patrice, or so I've been told. I am not familiar with either of them.

As for the speech itself, I agree. His speech was very likely just intended to cater to the crowd and, to be honest, I'm not so sure that globalization talk you mentioned is going to go over that well back home.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by baked
Why would people want to elect a man that has only been in politics a few years?

Because it's a place that taints you once you've been there too long, and we need someone who doesn't have this same taint.

Plus, I've never heard anyone from washington speak like this.

Amazing speech!

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

The two acts were Reamonn and Patrice, or so I've been told. I am not familiar with either of them.

As for the speech itself, I agree. His speech was very likely just intended to cater to the crowd and, to be honest, I'm not so sure that globalization talk you mentioned is going to go over that well back home.

On the contrary, for his supporters, this is EXACTLY the speech we wanted to hear.

Oh I can't wait til November!

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

I agree with you on that count. For his supporters, it certainly is the type of speech that they want to hear. But moderate Dems and unaffiliated voters? I'll wait to see the poll numbers over the next week or two.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I think it was a good move for Obama to make a speech like that as it supports his position of reaching out to other countries of the world. It looks like alot of people are looking for a different kind leadership when you see the type of crowds Obama draws. Embrace change people because it is going to happen!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join