It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you laugh out loud when you see someone trip or fall?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Shame on you! Actually, I do, too. I just can't help myself.

There is a show called Wipeout, and it's on Tuesdays on ABC, but I think all of the episodes are probably on YouTube. The concept isn't new, but I think it's hilarious. The announcers are pretty funny as well.

Check it out, and maybe you'll get a good laugh.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I did one time...my cousin and I were throwing the football and this girl kept lookin at me, she wasn't paying attention and ran into a handicapped parking sign lol

Edit: Oh ya this show is alot like Most Extreme Elimination Challenge(MXC) that has been on spike/tnt for years...except the commentary isnt nearly as funny as MXC

[edit on 22-7-2008 by Secret Shadow]

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I NEVER laugh at anyone when they trip or fall

But I can`t stop laughing when I do, the harder the fall the more I laugh, weird I know...

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
was that Jill Wagner on there ? shes one of my favorites

Fox

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
That shows pretty funny, and Yeah I laugh at people when they fall. I'd expect and encourage them to laugh at me so I feel it evens itself out.

Boy would I like to get on that show.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
It depends on the circumstance.

If some kid is goofing around and takes a spill, I might laff if the kid is unhurt.

If an older person falls, it may be much more serious and try and lend a hand if needed.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Interesting thread. I've actually done a fair amount of research on "Theory of Humor" and you know what? NOBODY KNOWS why we laugh at things. There are many theories, but nobody has been able to pin anything down.

The best theory of humor I've ever found is here:

www.tomveatch.com...

This paper presents a theory of humor, that certain psychological state which tends to produce laughter. The theory states that humor is fully characterized by three conditions, each of which, separately, is necessary for humor to occur, and all of which, jointly, are sufficient for humor to occur. The conditions of this theory describe a subjective state of apparent emotional absurdity, where the perceived situation is seen as normal, and where, simultaneously, some affective commitment of the perceiver to the way something in the situation ought to be is violated

Tom Veatch is a Professor of Linguistics at Standford. The above link, in addition to being very informative, is also quite humorous in places. However, I think he falls short in his theory. For example, he struggles with why some people find "puns" funny.

This would be a good link for ATS, but it would probably be wasted there. I think it best belongs here in BTS.

Edit: You know what is odd? There is actually an official "International Journal of Humor Research", where this paper was first published in 1998. I guess a lot of people are working on this subject. I did a web search, but I don't think this Journal is available online.

None of this is funny. But I think it is interesting.

[edit on 24-7-2008 by Buck Division]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I laugh at my girlfriend or my sister when they trip or fall. I get the same respect when it happens to me.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Buck Division

Thanks for that Buck Division. One of the best Trieste I've read on Humor, it's theory and application.
I consider myself a humorist of sorts; and am constantly amazed and at times horrifies at what people find funny.

At the risk of sounding elitist, humor breaks down along socio economic levels quite easily.

What a fascinating subject. It truly reveals the human psyche like no other.

[edit on 24-7-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Buck Division
Interesting thread. I've actually done a fair amount of research on "Theory of Humor" and you know what? NOBODY KNOWS why we laugh at things. There are many theories, but nobody has been able to pin anything down.

It is really interesting to think about why something is funny to one person but not another. I've never read any studies on humor so thanks.

For me to see someone trip or fall is funny because it isn't a "normal" state to see someone in, but then you feel bad, because you don't want the person to be hurt, but when you know that the person is ok, you can continue! It is strange. Shouldn’t you feel concern before laughing?

Originally posted by whaaa
I consider myself a humorist of sorts; and am constantly amazed and at times horrifies at what people find funny.

At the risk of sounding elitist, humor breaks down along socio economic levels quite easily.

What a fascinating subject. It truly reveals the human psyche like no other.

Can you explain the socioeconomic aspect?

This makes me laugh every time I see it.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
If the situation is light-hearted I do, otherwise I don't. I hate it when people do it to me most of the time.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
If the person who falls is seriously injured, I might not laugh. But if it is due to their own stupidity, then yes, I will laugh.

I laugh when I do domething dumb and hurt myself. In a weird way, I kind of get a kick out of embarrasing myself with soem things. Like if I accidentally knock down a display at a store, I feel so embarrased, but at the same time think it's really funny and kind of ...enjoy it.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Poor Nancy.

This show is very much like the Japanese show "Takeshi's Castle".

There are alot more crazy obstacle courses on this show.

Basically they start off with 100 contestants and wittle it down to the final few which them take part in the almost impossible bumper car type game were they have to shoot water though paper rings on the show's warriors car's.
Just check out some more on youtube.

We get it with an English Voice over guy, Craig Charles form (THE ENGLISH) Red Dwarf.

[edit on 1-8-2008 by Chukkles]

new topics

top topics

join