It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man tasered 9 times in 14 minutes, dies. Winnfield, LA.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Man tasered 9 times in 14 minutes, dies. Winnfield, LA.

www.chicagotribune.com

WINNFIELD, La. - At 1:28 p.m. last Jan. 17, Baron "Scooter" Pikes was a healthy 21-year-old man. By 2:07 p.m., he was dead.
What happened in the 39 minutes in between--during which Pikes was handcuffed by local police and shocked nine times with a Taser device, while reportedly pleading for mercy--is now spawning fears of a political cover-up in this backwoods Louisiana lumber town infamous for backroom dealings.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
This is murder plain and simple.

www.chicagotribune.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Sorry mods..can someone delete this post..didnt notice the date of the offense.Just was under breaking news for video.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Why should it be deleted? From what I determined by viewing the replies to threads with similar subject matter on ATS was that a substantial number of people seemed surprised that this sort of thing is happening-- which is the most surprising thing to me. In denying ignorance one is obliged to take note of the mundane everyday nefarious happenings that have concrete evidence and not just the sweeping worldwide conspiracies that are more ethereal.

Keep it I say!

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Yeah, I hadn't heard of this one either! My gosh, almost everyday another shocking injustice is brought into our concsiousness to desensitize and get us used to the lack of value of a human life.

Tasers have become such overused WMD's. I am saddened for this man and his family.

All officers don't delight in such behaviour, but it is becoming apparant that many do.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
AS breaking news is suppose to be within a 48 hour deadline.When i looked at the report it was under Yahoo's breaking news and the date of the report showed todays date.But again this happened way back in last Jan. 17.Maybe im wrong but i dont think this meets the requirements.As you can see when you click the link it states July 22, 2008 but the report was made 7:52 PM CDT, July 19, 2008.

Any mods want to let me know if this is ok?

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Eh, its not too far off 2 days right?

Wow, you just added to a bit of research I am doing on small town conspiracy. The things people get away with.. WOW.

Its a sad case, but I am wondering how many hits this kid actually took from the taser. The POLICE report said 9, could have been more or less. As far as the drugs, I don't know if PCP shows up on tox screens, and if the kid was a known user, his heart was at risk.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by alienstar

Aww, that's nothing, jack got zapped ten times in about three mins...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

(update...)

www.abovetopsecret.com...

...and was denied medical treatment and water.

What a wuss, up and died. Maybe he's faking.

[edit on 7/22/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
There has been so many "taser" deaths in recent years it is a wonder police are allowed to carry them. Personally, I would rather be shot with and officers side arm than be tased, your chances of living are probably better. Maybe police stations around the country should just start shooting to injur rather than tasing to kill.

Tasers should be illegal.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by bakednutz

I wouldn't go that far. I've been shot and tased, and I will take the tase any day. The problem with the taser is that the police don't use it as an alternative to their sidearm, they use it whimsically and gratuitously, wether to get their jollies or out of pure laziness. I have seen situations where common sense and a few words would have diffused the situation, but instead the officer forced his hand with the taser. "Comply" is the only law, not the Constitution.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
What I've understood from the rationale in keeping "civilians" from posessing "non-lethal" weapons for self-defense (where they are outlawed and guns are not) is that "civilians" would use them more gratuitously than they would a potentially lethal weapon like a pistol. Woah the absurdity of the state's agents being the exemplars of such behavior!

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

Or for that matter, consider this. Here in NY it is next to impossible to get a gun permit. So you have little defense against the huge amounts of illegal guns on the streets. Except maybe a bullet-proof vest? Nope, illegal. You might be tempted to go out and commit a crime knowing that the police would have a harder time killing you.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Another one of this, how long before this weapons get banned from law enforcement agencies across the country? I think this case might set the precedent need it to banish this weapons for good. And they are a weapon as lethal as a gun, maybe you have a better chance of surviving a taser than a bullet but still this weapons on the hand of law enforcement personnel is serving as prosecutor, judge and jury and dealing out death sentences for crimes that are just minor.

If a police officer find himself on a need to pull out a gun and kill a criminal then he should use his gun, if the intent is to restrain then make them use some old fashion police work or other methods besides the taser.

All this people that have died because of taser have been denied due process under the law.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
There used to be a law against what were considered as infernal devices. Do any of you Know if it is still on the books and enforceable? Sorry for the short post. I'm having worse net problems than ever. It's either a conspiracy against radical thinkers or user stupidity.

MBF

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I talked to a boy today that was arrested just a couple of weeks ago. He said that one of the cops that arrested him was trying to get him mad after the cuffs were on him and kept pointing the tazer at him telling him to go ahead and make a move on him so he could zap him.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
And finally some progress in the questo to take the taser out of law enforment agencies

Officer charged in death of tasered man

A Louisiana grand jury indicted a former police officer on a manslaughter charge in the death of a man who was Tasered nine times while handcuffed, prosecutors said Wednesday.

Scott Nugent also was charged with felony criminal malfeasance in connection with the January death of Baron "Scooter" Pikes.

This is a criminal case where the taser is going to be exposed for what it is a DEADLY WEAPON and you can sure count that thats the way hat the Defense attorney is going to argue the case.

[edit on 13-8-2008 by Bunch]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways
Yeah, I hadn't heard of this one either! My gosh, almost everyday another shocking injustice is brought into our concsiousness to desensitize and get us used to the lack of value of a human life.

Tasers have become such overused WMD's. I am saddened for this man and his family.

All officers don't delight in such behaviour, but it is becoming apparant that many do.

Taser Technology and Capabilities

I understand where you're coming from entirely. But don't blame the object blame the cop...The person behind the object.

Fact is these cops are crooked. I own a TASER C2. It is a civilian weapon. Properly used it is in fact a non lethal weapon. But much like their penchant for violating rights, i.e. lack of constitutional training, their fetish for tasering people stems from their already ingrained god-like complex(how long have these cops been on the job anyway...Are they fresh?). A taser, like a gun or a billy club can be misused when put into the hands of those who think they are above the law, or think that it is ok to push their weight around. Personally, I'm glad cops have TASERs. But they need to understand the game a bit better.

I've always said that if we spent as much time teaching cops the constitution as we teach them how to be violent, we would have a much better police force, wherever it might be, and things like this would only be something you hear in passing...Usually containing the word "accidental".

Take it from me, as some one who has used a TASER on someone without killing them. It is about how you use the weapon, and how responsible you are within the constraints and implications of your job, situation, and the law.(Cops/Civilians respectively).

[edit on 13-8-2008 by projectvxn]

top topics

join